Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how much 9mm brass fits in a 5 gal bucket?

driver8M3

i bought 10k mixed/used brass recently. i just finished cleaning all of it, and i wondered how sellers of used brass measure what they are selling (it came in a big box)? i've completely filled a 5 gallon bucket with it. so the question is, how much 9mm brass fits in a 5 gallon bucket?

Whadday'all talk about?

Don'tcha have any kid running and screaming through your house?

You'll only need a 1st grader who's able to count up to 10.

You teach him to count 10 brass, then save 1 from the batch of ten. Then...

...repeat....

...repeat...

...repeat...

...repeat...

...repeat...

...and overnight the bucket will be empty and you'll easily be able to fit the saved brass in bullet boxes of 100.

Multiply the number of boxes you fill by 1000 and voilà, there is your total.

P.S. :P

i wondered how sellers of used brass measure what they are selling (it came in a big box)?

It is sold by weight using a counting scale ( $$$$ ) or conversoin factor:

9mm w/ primer = 8.4 pounds / thousand

40 S&W w/ primer = 10 pound / thousand

1) weigh bucket and brass

2) weigh bucket

3) Step 1-Step 2 = weight of brass in lbs

4) Step x 7000 = grains of brass

5) weigh 10 cases on your powder scale (in grains), then devide by 10 for avg weight/case

6) Step 4 / Step 5 = # of cases

You figure out what to do with that hanging fraction of a case.

Well I seem to recall that you have a young daughter & this whole thing can be settled quickly & accurately if you just offer to give her a nickle for every piece of brass she counts. Loads of fun for bored kids; much more constructive than mumbly peg or tidlywinks. D.

OK,

Department of Useless Information.

100,000 Once fired 40S&W cases nearly fills TWO 44Gallon Drums (55US Gallons), nearly but not quite.

But as it happens the original 100,000 we bought has so far provided 210 bags that hold 505, yes I counted out 50 multiplied by 10 added 1% for the F.U.F. (second word Up, third word Factor). So even the commercial guys get it wrong.

Worst part is I still have another drum to work through.

But at least it is easy to move in a drum. And yes I did know how much the whole lot weighed (near enough 600lbs each drum), I was just real glad when it turn up on a truck with a tail lift and a trolley.

Well I seem to recall that you have a young daughter & this whole thing can be settled quickly & accurately if you just offer to give her a nickle for every piece of brass she counts. Loads of fun for bored kids; much more constructive than mumbly peg or tidlywinks. D.

Hmmm... 8,000 x .05 Can I count - - no I WILL COUNT for that money.