Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first full USPSA match

Nice man!

From one fellow USPSA newbie to another, looks like you're on a good track :)

IMHO:

1) you could go faster, your hits were looking really good and tight on the close targets, so accuracy is there, now just ramp up your splits, run that trigger! As long as you get the A zone, it doesn't matter if theres one inch separating the bullet holes or ten inches

2) you were caught in a few slide lock reloads at inopportune times... awareness sort of goes out the window once that buzzer sounds (especially for someone who is new), so remembering to reload at specific points is tough, but once you get that down you'll be dropping a lot of time in your runs.

I'm still unclassified, so perhaps I'll race ya to B class.... no scratch that, I'll race ya to GM!

My last oopsie was a 180 degree problem doing what you were doing at about 1:25 (right handed shooter moving backwards and to the left during reload, your body is already angled left and the muzzle goes to a more severe angle as you bring the gun in to your body ).

I couldn't tell if you got close to the 180 in the vid, so this is just a for what it is worth. Since my recent unfortunate event I tend to look for such things :).

Yeah. They told me that I got close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice way to say you totally broke it but they didn't have the heart to DQ you. Pretty sure I got a good look at rifling around 1:25. That aside it looks like you have a great start and can go far. Edited by alma

That's why I need to work on my stage planning.

Me too. Have added ghost reloads & etc to my walk throughs, which seems to help and am lucky enough to have access to much better shooters who are happy to help me with the planning stuff, which really really seems to help.

The other thing that I learned from my oopsie (actually from talking stuff through with more experienced shooters after the fact) was that things look different to different folks depending upon where they are standing during the event. If your gun is pointing to your left and someone is watching from behind and to your left you may get 180 calls from the cheap seats starting somewhere around 165, the angles can allow a spooky view around then and folks can get excited when it is real time and they don't know where the gun is going to stop. The big kids tell me that what the R.O. says happened is what happened.

This isn't a comment on whether or not you broke the 180 (alma may be right, I just don't know), but I though the "listen to the R.O. and ignore the other stuff" advice was good info.

The RO didn't say I was close. It was my buddy that said I might have gotten close and it was a poor decision to move from right to left for that particular stage. Good learning experience and I will defiantly be looking for those angles next match.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks pretty good to me. 180s are somewhat subjective. Sometimes the stage is not set up exactly square with the shooting bay, which can lead to some difficult calls. Most of the 180 DQs I have seen were obvious to everyone. Sometimes targets are set up close to the 180, so I always ask the RO during the walk-through if I can shoot "this target from this position" without breaking the 180.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice man!

From one fellow USPSA newbie to another, looks like you're on a good track :)

IMHO:

1) you could go faster, your hits were looking really good and tight on the close targets, so accuracy is there, now just ramp up your splits, run that trigger! As long as you get the A zone, it doesn't matter if theres one inch separating the bullet holes or ten inches

2) you were caught in a few slide lock reloads at inopportune times... awareness sort of goes out the window once that buzzer sounds (especially for someone who is new), so remembering to reload at specific points is tough, but once you get that down you'll be dropping a lot of time in your runs.

I'm still unclassified, so perhaps I'll race ya to B class.... no scratch that, I'll race ya to GM!

In terms of the slide lock, that goes with stage planning I think. I'm a novice as well, but I found I could avoid slide lock if I plan my stage so that I swap mags with a round or two to spare. Shooting production, L-10, SS, revolver really makes you aware of when you reload. Also, reload on move (safely), don't waste time on "standing reloads".

• 1 month later...