Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz sp-01 upgrade cost / shadow

MP9

Hi guys.

I have been reading about these CZs. I would like to get the sp-01 shadow but looks like it is hard to find nowdays or wait many weeks or some months.

Few days ago i went to the LGS and they had a sp01 standard. Pretty heavy the trigger . So yesterday i was wondering how much will cost to do some upgrades.

I shoot idpa and uspsa, B shooter

I've reading a lot on the forum and the main difference seems to be the FPB that at the end is gonna have 1 or 2 mm more in the reset.

With a fiber front sight and fixed black rear is enough for me.( regarding the sights)

Now regarding the trigger is what i would like to improve. How much will cost get some parts from CgW ?

I've read difference oponions of people saying to go with the shadow and some others saying it is gonna be cheap upgrade a standard sp-01. And that they have the shadow and if they have to start over again they will get the standard and then upgrade.

Any advice?

Thanks

My CZ tuning thread was about showing that with under $200 in parts from CGW and a little work an SP01 can perform better than a factory SP01 Shadow and very nearly as good as a the best professionally tuned Shadow.

I have found plenty of Shadow owners willing to trade their extended controls for those on the SP01, so that's a no cost mod and the rest is relatively cheap.

it sounds good, is it that hard to do by myself? looks like I might save some $$$$. I'm not that much of a handyman.. I'm not looking for the best trigger either.

with those modification is the pistol still legal for IDPA SSP/ESP and production?

it sounds good, is it that hard to do by myself? looks like I might save some $$$$. I'm not that much of a handyman.. I'm not looking for the best trigger either.

with those modification is the pistol still legal for IDPA SSP/ESP and production?

If you're not obsessed with the best trigger possible you can simply change the springs and get dramatic gains in a few minutes.

I just picked up a SP-01 and ordered parts from CGW. I went a little nuts and spent $400 but you don't have to spend half that. Here is what I ordered;

SRS-2 which includes new firing pin and 2 hammer springs.

Kit3 Hammer

T2 disco

EZ/D sights

85C trigger

Tuner PAC recoil spring kit

Some pins and a tool to replace trigger

Too much but it should be sweet when complete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Step 1. Low $. Replace main/hammer spring (13# or 11.5# to start, IMO), 11#-12# recoil spring, add extended firing pin, reduced firing pin block spring.

Free: Polish internals per Atlas' guide or those on czforum.

Go shoot and evaluate, decide from there.

Next steps would likely be a hammer (Modified Shadow from CGW or CZC for Production Legal), then disconnector or SRS, or you can mix up the order here depending on desires.

If you're replacing the hammer or removing/replacing the trigger, get the CGW replacement pins and install kit.

Edited by rtp

Basic would be all from CGW: EZ Drift sight set, SRS kit, and lower weight recoil springs. Combine those parts with a quality smoothing polishing of the stock parts will get you started in the right direction.

I did a post on the CZ Forum in where I upgraded my SP01 incrementally and took trigger pull measurements during each step. But, I am too new and can't post links so you will need to cut and paste :( www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=62478.msg414029#msg414029

Edited by bigmatt

I agree. stage one on a budget for me would be:

13lb hammer spring

11lb recoil spring

and if you have the ability, remove all the bits and do some 'fitting'.

sights also if your pistol came with night sights

next biggest benefit for me was a pre-b disco

then comp hammer + sear

then do the pins

85C trigger

trigger return spring

extended firing pin and spring.

note if you need to keep IPSC prod div legal you can use the CZ UB comp hammer, CZ UB extended firing pin, CZ UB pre-b disco, CZ UB springs and pins and just use a new factory CZ UB sear and fit it to the hammer and safety. can also use the CZ UB 85C trigger and other bits like stainless guide rod too if you like.

sure the CGW parts look a bit nicer but the CZ UB stuff works fine too. I use that combo above now in my shadow and like it. I didn't notice any significant difference to when I tried the light CGW spring and firing pin. They are nicer made parts but you can get very similar results with the OEM CZ gear. The only thing you don't get to use then is basically the trigger return spring (I prefer a nice positive reset anyway) and trigger pin.

I know this is not a concern for any US members but for those in europe etc shooting IPSC this is the path you have to take to stay division compliant. :)

I agree. stage one on a budget for me would be:

13lb hammer spring

11lb recoil spring

and if you have the ability, remove all the bits and do some 'fitting'.

sights also if your pistol came with night sights

next biggest benefit for me was a pre-b disco

then comp hammer + sear

then do the pins

85C trigger

trigger return spring

extended firing pin and spring.

This order works as well, but....the pins save you aggravation and are nearly free, plus you're breaking the gun down to incl. trigger removal for polishing, so I'd just get the pins, and while in there, a $3 reduced weight trigger return spring is worth the effort, IMO.

I'd also put the extended firing pin and reduced FP spring above the hammer, as it's supposed to help if you're not using only Federal primers, or if you want to try an 11.5# main spring.

Here's the sequence of mods and pull weights I got on my SP-01 Tactical..somewhat 'unfair' as I'll be swapping out the race hammer for a CZC or modified Shadow hammer from CGW once/before I stop shooting Outlaw matches and go to shoot in Production..

OEM (clean/lubed + ~300 rounds)

DA: ~12? Can't measure or estimate on my gauge beyond 8# marked, 10# estimate to end of gauge

SA: ~5.25#

13# mainspring, 11# recoil, otherwise OEM:

DA: ~8#

Half-cocked: ~7.5#

SA: 4.2#

BASE: 13# hammer spring, 11# recoil, extended FP, reduced weight FP spring, reduced weight FPB spring, polished FPB and FPB bore(only, didn't polish rest of gun yet):

DA: 8#

SA: 3.75#

11.5# hammer spring, otherwise same as above:

DA 6.5#

SA: 3.5#

The hammer spring is almost 1:1 reduction on DA pull, and minimal but seems to have a minor effect on SA pull

BASE + full polish, 13# mainspring, reduced reach kit

DA: 7.8#

SA: 3.25#

Gained a but of lightening on full polish, both DA and in SA

This also got a bit better after putting some more rounds through it

BASE + full polish, 13# hammer spring, reduced reach kit, short reset system (except w/OEM disco, had a 'hybrid' CGW disconnector issue with both RRK + SRS installed, currently being looked at), CGW race hammer:

DA: ~7.8# w/13# hammer spring, 6.5# w/11.5# main spring, down to 6# after a few hundred rounds.

SA: ~2.5#

Edited by rtp

Thanks for all the replies and help. I got my mew cz sp-01 . The DA trigger pull is heavy and long, the SA no too bad, it is similar to the trigger pull on my glock gen4 .

As I shoot idpa and production i would like to do some modifications and still keep it legal.

I shoot 147gr most of the times(my reloads) . Can i use the 11# recoil spring and 13# main spring without having any issues?

Is the hammer hard to change? Can i use one from czc or cgw and keep it idpa/uspsa legal?

I would like to change the grips because i cant reach the trigger on DA too easy. Or can the trigger rest moved a litle to the rear?

I still need to keep reading to get familiar with all the modifications for the cz'S

Is there any kit ready to go I can order from czc or cgw? I dont want to order something, pay for the shipping and then get to order more things and pay again for shipping

Thanks for all the input

Thanks for all the replies and help. I got my mew cz sp-01 . The DA trigger pull is heavy and long, the SA no too bad, it is similar to the trigger pull on my glock gen4 .

As I shoot idpa and production i would like to do some modifications and still keep it legal.

I shoot 147gr most of the times(my reloads) . Can i use the 11# recoil spring and 13# main spring without having any issues?

More than likely, but do the extended firing pin + reduced firing pin spring to be on the safe side;

Is the hammer hard to change? Can i use one from czc or cgw and keep it idpa/uspsa legal?

Is there any kit ready to go I can order from czc or cgw? I dont want to order something, pay for the shipping and then get to order more things and pay again for shipping

Hammer is easy to change, but I'd pick up a pair of hammer pins from CGW, makes life much easier...and his starter punch.

You could do something like the parts for the CGW 'Pro Package', minus the reach reduction kit (not production legal), and with a modified Shadow hammer instead of the CGW race hammer. Just call David and he'll get you sorted.

Edited by rtp

great post RTP. thanks for sharing that info.

yeah I agree extended FP and FP spring is probably a good idea early on. I had very good reliability though with standard pin and spring using the 13 hammer spring. Running murom, winchester, CCI and federal primers. A mate went to the extended pin and was getting primer wipe so I held off. later I fitted it anyway and in my gun it was fine. so I still run it. a tip: all the extended firing pins are very, very close in length. as close as to be basically the same. so it doesn't really matter if you buy the CZ UB, CZC or CGW pin. Except that the CGW pin comes with a spring. :)

You may want to look at the CZ Custom sight options instead of the CGW EZ/D sights. My EZ/D rear sight broke after just 3 months, and I cant' think of anything I do that's rough on any of my guns, much less my SP-01. It goes straight from my holster to a gun sleeve, to my bag, and then the safe at home.

But everything else from CGW in my gun runs great. Their disconnector and SRS system will make it feel like a whole new gun.

The real advantage I've seen from comparing my SP-01 to a couple of SP-01 Shadow Targets is that they've been cleaned up enough inside to light off any primer with the 11.5# spring, while I need to use Federals.

You may want to look at the CZ Custom sight options instead of the CGW EZ/D sights. My EZ/D rear sight broke after just 3 months, and I cant' think of anything I do that's rough on any of my guns, much less my SP-01. It goes straight from my holster to a gun sleeve, to my bag, and then the safe at home.

But everything else from CGW in my gun runs great. Their disconnector and SRS system will make it feel like a whole new gun.

The real advantage I've seen from comparing my SP-01 to a couple of SP-01 Shadow Targets is that they've been cleaned up enough inside to light off any primer with the 11.5# spring, while I need to use Federals.

You should contact David Milam over at CGW and let him know that your EZ-D rear broke. I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped a new sight in the mail for you no questions asked. As evidenced by the posts in this forum, as well as the CZ forums, David and CGW are known for providing outstanding customer service.

My EZ/D rear sight broke after just 3 months, and I cant' think of anything I do that's rough on any of my guns, much less my SP-01. It goes straight from my holster to a gun sleeve, to my bag, and then the safe at home.

I've heard sights can break if they touch the slide anywhere besides the dovetail; you should check the clearances when you install a rear sight.

You should contact David Milam over at CGW and let him know that your EZ-D rear broke. I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped a new sight in the mail for you no questions asked. As evidenced by the posts in this forum, as well as the CZ forums, David and CGW are known for providing outstanding customer service.

I emailed, complete with photos of the broken sight, and haven't heard a peep back. So I'm not feeling that outstanding customer service.

I emailed, complete with photos of the broken sight, and haven't heard a peep back. So I'm not feeling that outstanding customer service.

I would call. Maybe your email got lost. I've had one or two minor things that cgw took care of right away.

I've had their rear sights on my production guns for over a year now, 10k+ rounds, no problems. Yours musta had something wrong with it.

Laughingdog,

I never received your e-mail about the sight. I can give you my personal assurance if you need a replacement sight it will be shipped immediately. I respond to e-mails every day, including weekends. So please resend your e-mail to: cajungunworks@gmail.com

If you did not receive an e-mail response (for whatever reason), then I suggest you call us and let us take care of your problem ASAP.

It's only a guess, but there may have been a flaw in the metal. Regardless, we owe you a replacement sight at N/C.

David

Gunsmith

Edited by schmeky