Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock 34

cmb5286

I recently purchased a Gen4 G34 last week to start into USPSA Production. So far I have purchased:

Jager Captured Steel Guiderod (Backordered)

ISMI 13lb Recoil Spring (Backordered)

DK Custom Trigger

I installed the trigger last night with the 4lb striker spring because thats the way it came from DK. Went to the range this afternoon to test everything out. I was getting about 1 in 10 light strikes. Now it's my understanding that the striker is a modified OEM one and not extended. I came home and just installed the 4.5lb spring. Is anyone else having the same issue?

Other than that I am loving it. Hardly any pretravel, reset is nice and pronounced. Now I just need to decide on what sights to upgrade to because the plastic ones just need to go.

I'll report back next week when I get to test with the 4.5lb striker spring.

I do not go below a 4.5# FP spring unless I am using a lightweight FP such as a Jager or Glockworx.

Taran Tactical makes some good sights for a Glock and they are in stock at Speedshooters.

If you need some 13# ISMI springs send me a PM.

I may pull the 4lb springs all together. Reliability is more important than pull weight in my opinion and without staying in Winchester and federal primers and being seating fully there may be no point in the 4lb. I ran a 4lb with CCI at BIBG and only had 2 light strikes but that's still not good. I run the 4.5lb in my 24 and Open gun and I'm still below 3lb on break but they are Gen3s.

The trigger pull weight will vary slightly from gun to gun. The trigger pull should increase approximately 4.0oz. to 5.0oz. when going from a 4.0# FP spring to a 4.5# FP spring but it will be much more reliable.

I too was having the same problems with the 4 pound striker spring. I switched to the 4.5 pound and everything has been running flawless. Contact DK he has been great getting back to me with any problems I have had.

IF using the 4# spring it is a MUST to use federal primers (winchester as second choice). If you are going to use factory ammo or other primers go with the 4.5# spring. I've had zero light strikes with factory ammo and after I figured out seating primers fully, zero problems with my reloads using the 4.5# spring.

I went to the range with Gilbert today and we tested 100 of 40 and 100 of 9 all cci and loaded on a 550 w/ the 4.0 lb striker spring and my striker mods. No one failure not one light strike. It's frustrating and I am working to get it straightened out folks.

IF using the 4# spring it is a MUST to use federal primers (winchester as second choice). If you are going to use factory ammo or other primers go with the 4.5# spring. I've had zero light strikes with factory ammo and after I figured out seating primers fully, zero problems with my reloads using the 4.5# spring.

Really? MUST? I have had excellent results with CCI Blazer and Speer lawman factory ammo. My reloads have been with Remington pistol primers. Still no FTF or light primer strikes. The key, I believe, is to use a lightweight striker. But what do I know?

Really? MUST? I have had excellent results with CCI Blazer and Speer lawman factory ammo. My reloads have been with Remington pistol primers. Still no FTF or light primer strikes. The key, I believe, is to use a lightweight striker. But what do I know?

lol......same here....what do I know..... :) I said MUST use federal or win. not meaning it's not going to work at all without them but rather you will have much better reliability using a light primer with the 4# spring. This is not based on personal experience. I haven't even tried the 4# spring. It's just based on what DK has recommended.....

Edited by 3djedi

I went to the range with Gilbert today and we tested 100 of 40 and 100 of 9 all cci and loaded on a 550 w/ the 4.0 lb striker spring and my striker mods. No one failure not one light strike. It's frustrating and I am working to get it straightened out folks.

If anyone can get the issue solved, it is you. Best of luck. Please keep us informed as to what you learn.

lol......same here....what do I know..... :) I said MUST use federal or win. not meaning it's not going to work at all without them but rather you will have much better reliability using a light primer with the 4# spring. This is not based on personal experience. I haven't even tried the 4# spring. It's just based on what DK has recommended.....

No worries. And for the record, I agree with you that Federal primers are easier to ignite that most other brands.

Glad to hear that everything is going well with the 4# springs. I haven't been able to get out to the range this week, but will try Friday or Saturday.

In terms of sights, what front sight does everyone pick? I've read .205" all the way to .300" tall. I've tried to zero at 25 yards, but couldn't get a definitive answer. Majority were going high by about 2-3".

Ok so using Dawson's measurement for the front site, I came up with a 0.190" new front site.

(7.5" sight radius x 3" high)/ 900" = 0.025"

0.025"+0.165" stock G34 sights=0.190"

I haven't seen many others on here use this height before and just wanted to make sure that I was doing the math correctly.

The TTI sights are the best ones out there, no question! True POA/POI, no worries about rusting like so many others out there, the rear sight has just the right amount of light for a proper sight picture, the fiber optic is super bright and it's at the top of the front sight where it should be.

I wouldn't replace the front and not the rear. Go ahead and get rear from Dawson as well

I was definitely planning on it!

The TTI sights are the best ones out there, no question! True POA/POI, no worries about rusting like so many others out there, the rear sight has just the right amount of light for a proper sight picture, the fiber optic is super bright and it's at the top of the front sight where it should be.

TTI doesn't make a 0.190" tall front sight or else I would.

Well shot my first USPSA match this morning. No light strikes with the 4.5# spring shooting 124gr Freedom Munitions FMJs. Trigger worked like a dream. Stock sights have to go though.

If u are getting the Dawson front and rear, you don't have to get a woerd size Get the front that matches the rear and if it doesn't work they will swap out

Only if you don't install it.

I also am having light primer strikes with light glockworx springs. As long as I use federal primers I am fine. I just ordered a glockworx lightened striker, we will see if that helps with other primer brands. I also installed the dawson competition sight set and they are awesome. I really wanted an adjustable rear sight, but Dawson guarantees accuracy or they give you a different height front sight. My accuracy has increased significantly with the dawson sights and a new trigger bar from DK (reset is great!)