Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun

I need (want) a new Limited gun in 40SW - currently shooting a Glock 35 - want a bit less snap in major - what is the gun of choice from Tanfo and what do you have to do to a stock one to make it good to go?

Accurate - fast trigger reset - high grip - excellent ergonomics. I have average to large hands - no real issues with any competition gun I have encountered.

My extended Glock mags hold 19 reliably - how far can you go with the Tanfo mags?

This gun would be dedicated to USPSA Limited and not crossing over to other sports.

Witness Elite Limited is the common choice you see in USPSA Limited Class.

http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/witness-elite-limited/

Minor polishing on the trigger plunger/trigger bar is easy even for a novice person. Add a $40 front fiber. Magwell, grips, and you are pretty much ready to go.

With Grams followers and Henning base pads you can get 20 easily and 21 if you push it. I load to 19 just so reloading is easy.

To get a more crispe trigger you have to get one fitted.

I recently dropped in an Xtreme hammer with a stock sear and I dont like the creep. I need to have a hardened sear matched to it for it to feel good for me.

Edited by praetorian97

Did you misfire with this one Jim? :roflol:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=195258

or did you shoot a TS and not like it?

I have the Limited and the TS so I can tell you each has it's advantages and it's drawbacks.

TS Strengths:

-sub 2# trigger out of the box

-with CZC springs/followers/base pads mags hold 21 reloadable with no fuss

-solid, heavy tight gun

-fixed rear sight makes a great place to rack the slide

TS Weaknesses:

-cheesy waffle iron checkering on frame

-cycles best with SAAMI length rounds with jacketed/plated bullets (most lead bullets must be loaded really short and take some work to make reliable)

-cheesy plastic mag well

EAA Limited Strengths:

-aggressive checkering on front and rear strap

-adjustable rear sight (if you like them)

-dead sexy looks :wub:

-drilled and tapped for thumb rest/optics

-eats a variety of loads/bullets/lengths (can even use 10mm mags and load longer than 1.2")

EAA Limited Weaknesses:

-4#+ trigger out of the box

-20 rounds with Henning pads/springs/followers (21 if tuned)

-slightly less cheesy aluminum factory mag well (Henning's is much better)

I go back and forth on which I like better :wacko:

Is there any concern about durability running 40 major? I run lead or the new coated lead bullets in my G35 without issue - is that likely to be true with a Tanfoglio too?

Edited by Solvability

Is there any concern about durability running 40 major? I run lead or the new coated lead bullets in my G35 without issue - is that likely to be true with a Tanfoglio too?

Lots of people running 40 major. Very durable, very reliable. Grand Master CHA-LEE has shot ridiculous amounts of .40 major out of his guns (100k+ ???) . Maybe he can chime in.

As far as lead goes, I don't know anyone running coated or lead but I would think the coated would be fine. These polygonal barrels love the plated bullets.

I love it when people start asking about durability or longevity of firearms. The durability of a firearm needs to be put into perspective of how much the gun costs, verses how much $$$ in ammo you can shoot through it before the gun is all used up. If you run the numbers and assume that a handgun will last at least 50,000 rounds, the cost of the ammo shot through the gun usually translates to 10 or more times the cost of the gun its self. If you look at it that way, if you shoot a gun for 50,000 rounds and it is all used up at that point, does it really matter? Has the gun not served its intended purpose at that point? At that point the cost of the gun is the least expensive part of the equation. If a gun lasts me 50,000 rounds I consider it to have served its purpose. If it has a catastrophic failure after 50,000 rounds it sucks to lose a solid work horse, but off to the glue factory it goes and it gets replaced with a fresh one.

I also want to point out that when these guns are used in competition shooting conditions with lightened springs, lightened slides, and other go fast parts you can't expect it to have the same reliability as an unmodified gun. We are racing, and when you are racing you are close to the redline more often than not. Show me a race car that has a 100,000 mile warranty. They don't exist. Racing guns is no different. When you push the envelope of performance stuff breaks.

Edited by CHA-LEE

On the durability issue the other platform is the 2011 and every time I go to a match I hear somebody with a trick 2011 has broken some part that is expensive and hard to replace - it seems that the CZ/Tanfo have a good record on durability - I am sure racers can and do lighten to a point of accelerated breakage but I tend to hold off the bleeding edge.

I really appreciate the input - I have been competing a bit less than 10 years - ran Sig 226 for several years and then Glock so this is only my third platform change - I don't change without doing some homework.