Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to position ammo prior to Make Ready?

cohland

Where the written stage description calls for "..all ammunition to be placed on the table.." (or similar instructions) for a stage, are competitors allowed to place ammunition on the table prior to the "Make Ready" command?

We had a stage with these instructions yesterday. Some competitors began to place their ammunition on the table while we were still scoring the previous shooter, and the range was not clear. I asked them to wait until I had given the "Make Ready" command, to considerable resistance and grumbling. Checking with the MD later, I was told that it was OK for competitors to place their ammunition prior to Make Ready, primarily in order to save time.

I don't personally have a huge stake in this either way, I just want to know the right thing to do for the next match. Searching the rules, I did not find any guidance that seemed pertinent.

Chris

Edited by cohland

If you were scoring while the shooter was still shooting, then common sense has to prevail. If the shooter isn't coming back to the start area, then sure, let the next guy stage his ammo. if you're talking about down range barrels, then possibly not. Depends on the flow of the stage. You don't want the shooter backtracking because he forgot a target and running into someone setting out ammo. But then again, if you're scoring behind the shooter, they scorers are going to get in the way too, so it' hard to tell the on deck guy to not stage his ammo when he'd just be another guy in the way.

Now if the Range is Clear command was given, then 100% yes the on deck shooter should be able to stage his ammo. Waiting for the Make Ready command makes no sense and WILL cause a match to run slower than it should.

The range wasnt cleared before scoring took place?

As for the question, we do it here to help speed up the process, i dont recall a rule stating you cant.

Sorry, that wasn't clear. The range WAS cleared (safe), scoring was going on downrange, and the shooter(s) wanted to stage their ammo while we were scoring. It wasn't that they were getting in the way, I just didn't want them handling ammunition before I was ready.

Chris

There is no rule against it that I know of. The stages with "magazines on ..." at > Level I matches have always allowed ammo to be placed when it is clear for the on-deck shooter to enter the stage. No strong reason to wait. It gives the shooter more time to complete their routine and helps keep the match flowing.

Later,

Chuck

PS: There is no rule against handling ammo except at the safe area. The firearm can only be handled inside a safe area or under supervision of the RO

Edited by ChuckS

As for the question, we do it here to help speed up the process, i dont recall a rule stating you cant.

Sorry, that wasn't clear. The range WAS cleared (safe), scoring was going on downrange, and the shooter(s) wanted to stage their ammo while we were scoring. It wasn't that they were getting in the way, I just didn't want them handling ammunition before I was ready.

Chris

Shooters may handle ammo anywhere on the range (other than safety areas), at any time. So that's fine......

Staging at the start position while the previous shooter is still running the stage -- not fine. Chances of him coming back are remote, but can't be ruled out.....

Chris

Shooters may handle ammo anywhere on the range (other than safety areas), at any time. So that's fine......

Staging at the start position while the previous shooter is still running the stage -- not fine. Chances of him coming back are remote, but can't be ruled out.....

Again, I wasn't clear. The previous shooter was finished running the stage, holstered, the range was clear and we were scoring when the next shooter wanted to stage his ammo.

Chris

Chris

Again, I wasn't clear. The previous shooter was finished running the stage, holstered, the range was clear and we were scoring when the next shooter wanted to stage his ammo.

Chris

No you were. I just can't think of a valid reason why a competitor would not be able to pre-stage their ammo, while the stage is being reset from the previous run. If nothing else it saves a bit of time....

No you were. I just can't think of a valid reason why a competitor would not be able to pre-stage their ammo, while the stage is being reset from the previous run. If nothing else it saves a bit of time....

There is no valid reason for the delay, other than inexperience ( and a dose of control mania ) on my part. I'm learning where there is no harm in loosening up, this is one of those cases. So, again, thanks.

Chris

The only issue I can think of is having anyone else who is scoring I r resetting accidently move or pick up some of the staged ammo thinking it belonged to the previous shooter. I would just be sure once the range goes hot that all my mags are where I left them.

Not a big risk but I would hate to be left dry.

Chris

Rules allow for handling ammo anywhere but in the safe area.

Shooter can do it but should also make sure all his ammo is where it's supposed to be before he starts. I've had it happen and seen it lots where someone "helpful" picks upmthenprevious shooters mags and grabs the next shooters instead. That's a fun stage when you get to the next barrel and nothing is there. I also don't really see a rule to grant a reshoot. Nothing changed after make ready. Hmmm.

Rules say you can't handle the GUN before the "make ready." It doesn't say anything about mags and ammo.

Generally, when they are scoring targets, it's a last chance for the shooter on-deck to look over the stage. Everyone else helps reset the stage EXCEPT the on-deck shooter.

Also staging the ammo ahead of time, can save you from a "sweeping DQ". Once, at "Make Ready" for a table start stage, I saw a somebody load their gun, and put it on the 'X'. Next they started staging their magazines on the table, including putting one in front of the muzzle of their gun. :surprise: