Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver in 3-Gun?

Simple question. Has anyone used a revolver in a 3-Gun match? I compete in revolver division in USPSA, and was thinking about using a revolver as my handgun for a local match just for fun.

I haven't but there's no reason why you couldn't. There's videos of guys competing with all kinds of stuff. I'd love to compete with a tanker Garand just for the fun of it.

-Jake

There is no way I would want to try to carry all of the moon clips that would be necessary, and fit the shotgun shell caddies, and AR mag onto my belt. With my G34, in just 2 spare mags I have 44 rounds. For a revolver to match that, you would have 7 moon clips and still fall short on capacity. No thanks, even though I do enjoy shooting the wheel guns!

Cliff Walsh shot his 45 ACP revolver at a couple of the Ft. Benning 3-guns and did pretty good. At the local 3-guns he always did very well. But then he's a revolver GM and a past national champ if that makes any difference.

Give it a try just for fun.

Cliff Walsh shot his 45 ACP revolver at a couple of the Ft. Benning 3-guns and did pretty good. At the local 3-guns he always did very well. But then he's a revolver GM and a past national champ if that makes any difference.

Give it a try just for fun.

And comparing my revolver ability to Cliff Walsh would be like comparing my sprinting ability to Usain Bolt!

Might be fun to try shooting all a/b one shot per target. In two matches this year I have only had to reload once and then for 3 rounds. So there would be one or two reloads with Revo shooting one per. Probably giving away a few seconds per stage.

I've often thought about shooting more interesting guns just for the hell of it. I have a broomhandle C96 Mauser with a detachable buttstock (exempt from SBR regulation).

I've always thought it would be fun to run that as both a rifle AND a pistol.

Edited by Chris1522

Back when heavy metal was only 8 rounds of .45 instead of the 10 it is now, I regularly competed with my 625 and it was great. A bit of a handicap, but very fun, and great pistol practice. I also shot limited with an 8 shot revolver at USPSA Multigun Nationals one year and had a great time. Wheel guns present some logistical challenges, but nothing that can't be handled. I will be returning to shooting a revolver in heavy or limited next year for sure. Don't be afraid to try it.

The time has come. :devil:

Adam-12 Revolver/Shotgun Match

Equipment divisions:

All divisions: Revolvers must conform with USPSA revolver division equipment rules, except where noted. Shotguns must be of 12 guage, and manually operated. Optical sights and porting/compensators are disallowed for all guns in all divisions. Shotguns will use lead shot size #6 or smaller only.

Classic Division: Revolvers are not allowed to use moonclips; speedloaders are allowed. Shotguns may not be capable of holding more than 5 rounds + 1 chambered round at any time.

Modern Division: Moonclips are allowed. Shotguns may not be capable of holding more than 9 rounds + 1 chambered round at any time.

Scoring:

Targets will be USPSA targets (metric or classic), knock down steel, and/or clay pigeons.

All Targets: Any target not engaged will incur a 5 second penalty, in addition to the appropriate penalty for no hits on that target.

Steel targets: May be engaged with either revolver or shotgun, and must fall to score. Any steel target not knocked over will incur a 10 second penalty.

Clay Pigeons: May be engaged with either revolver or shotgun, and must break to score. One "BB" hit is considered to be a break. Any unbroken clay will incur a 10 second penalty.

Cardboard Targets: May be engaged with revolver only. Each cardboard target requires two hits within the scoring area, or one hit within the A/B zone to neutralize without penalty. Targets with one hit outside of the A/B zone will incur a 5 second penalty. Targets with no hits will incur a 10 second penalty.

I'd totally rock some mirror shades, short sleeve shirt with a tie 70's-detective style.

Edited by dcloudy777

When are you going to have it, Dan? It sounds like fun. I find it ironic that my 95 year old M1917 Colt revolver would fit in the modern division, while my S&W 686 fits in the Classic division.

Hurley

In my very first multigun match I ran my 686....it gets better. I also ran a Saiga 223 and a Saiga 12, all iron sights, in Open LOL Didn't do too bad, as I recall. I think I was 4th out of 8 Open shooters.

By the next match I had obtained an M&P9.

That shotgun/revo match sounds like a lot of fun!

Edited by sbcman