Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 308 Brake

I do believe he is saying they look alike.

Since I have both, I took a good look at them. the side ports on the hell gate are bigger, taller.

they should let more gas out. I shot mine Tuesday and it was very nice. I shot off the bench and off hand.

Very good muzzle control.

Edited by 1chota

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I received my Hotgates 762 brake Monday.

I must say it is a beautifuly machined and perfectly finished piece.

I installed it with a Delta P designs adapter. I have a Scout NM .062 front sight arriving Friday. I was luckiy enough to find it at Numrich.

For those of you that don't know the shorter M1A barrels require a taller front sight. I have an early model M1A-A1 Bush Rifle. Which came out years before the Scout Squad. It's 18 an 18inch barrel with a 1 in 11 twist.

It came equipped with a NM .072 front sight but I wanted better long range sighting ability so I'm going with the narrower sight.

Edited by Willz

• 5 months later...

Long term report on the Hot Gates 762 brake.

I've been running the original prototype brake now since I installed it this time last year. I've got 4000 rounds through it now and thought I'd share the condition.

DSC01228_zps41e8b184.jpg

One of the characteristics I was shooting for was a brake which resists carbon build up in the baffles. After 4k rounds there is minimal carbon deposits on the baffles and I have purposely not cleaned the inside of the brake, just so that I could monitor the progress. The design of this brake maintains high pressure throughout the entire length of the brake, thus there isn't a traditional pressure chamber between the crown and first baffles. No pressure chamber means no carbon packing into this area. It should be noted however that the barrel crown still needs to be cleaned from time to time to maintain maximum accuracy. This is no different from any rifle, with or without a muzzle brake. I am extremely pleased with the results.

DSC01229_zps4da0d1ea.jpg

The next area of concern is erosion and I am pleased to say (and show you) that after 4k rounds there is almost no sign of erosion in the Hot Gates 762. The hardened 4140 is holding up very well. It should have no trouble holding up for the life of a 308 barrel. It is interesting to note that what little build up there is, is evenly distributed in all of the baffles. This is important because it means that the gas stays in the brake long enough to take advantage of the surface area in all 8 ports.

Top performance combined with longevity and ease of serviceability... sound like something you'd like to run on your 30 cal?

Edited by co-exprs

Ok, I just got off the phone and my brake order is done at the machinist. I will be ready to ship more brakes early next week and in plenty of time for Christmas. The price on the Hot Gates 762 is $100 and comes with a PRI 5/8" precision shim kit and I'll even ship it for free (Priority mail, lower 48). You can PM me or email me at ppgcsteel@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiousity Mike, any idea how your brake would behave on a 6.5 Grendel build geared more towards DMR matches than 3 gun?

I've had a couple of guys use them on 260 bolt guns with excellent results. The threads are 5/8x24.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

received my break in very short order thank you! do you recommend any can'tdo you recommend any cant. On ar15 i run a miculeck approx 11:30 or 12:30 depending on how you look at it. Looking forward to checking it out. I wasn't unhappy with my jp and it sure is pretty but your brake looks to be very effective. Did some test loads with 110 grainers a while back, now setting up to do bulk load. Thinking out to 350/400 they are going to be cats meow

You'll just have to try it and see if you need any cant. I run mine straight up, but I put a lot of technique into my recoil management to eliminate the right side hop. The shim kit provided will allow you to set it up exactly how you want it/need it.

Those 110gr will run really flat. I've not tried them beyond 300, so you'll have to let us know how they work for you at 400. My pet load for hoser courses is; 46gr IMR 8208, under 125gr Speer TNT, 2.700" OAL, CCI primers, in commercial brass. Makes 2950fps from my 18" barrel. It runs fast and flat and holds good accuracy out to 400... easy. The PF is at or slightly higher than 7.62 Nato and the additional gas works well in the brake. This load is also economical because the Speer 125 can be had in 500ct boxes for about $.18ea... if you shop around.

not sure if I can do more for managing the recoil with my 6 foot almost 160 pound frame. if I don't get things right I definitely notice a difference. in particular shotgun. if I'm engaging several targets from a stationary position hammering shotgun moves me. if I'm engaging several targets from a stationary position hammering leaning into it by the time I've sent 5th or 6th shot I'm not leaning so much.

thank you for sharing the load info. the lowest I've been able to find the Sierra varmiters is about 22 cents apiece but you can't get them in bulk you have to buy 100 pack which I kind of find strange it being

a varmint bullet

Yep. Kelly shot heavy metal at last years match. We shot together on the same squad and it was a fun battle all weekend. Most fun I've ever had shooting. Kelly is known for his rifle skills and did not disappoint, What most don't know (and I learned the hard way) is that he is a phenom, single stack pistolero too.