Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Purchasing a new CZ for Production Class

jimreed1948

I decided to start shooting again in USPSA Production Class. My son and I shot together about 15 years ago for a 5 year period in the Limited Division. At that time I was shooting an STI and he was shooting a Glock. I’m trying to make a decision on the CZ I want to purchase and it’s like buying tires for the car. There are so many that are similar, I’m not sure which one to go with.

These are the three I’m currently looking at.

CZ 75 SP-01 (SKU: 91152)

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target (SKU: 91159)

CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (SKU: 91153)

I have seen some others recommended by their SKU #, such as a 91117, but I could not locate it on the CZ web site.

I’m looking for opinions on which CZ to go with even if it’s not one I have listed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seeing "shadow" in the product name denotes the lack of a firing-ping block. These models will have a trigger with a lighter pull, no stacking, and a shorter reset.

I'd suggest picking up an SP01 Shadow with fixed sights. Order it through CZ Custom or another tuning house and have them slick up the trigger for you.

I've broken too many adjustable sights to recommend buying one unless you plan to keep a spare pistol handy. Sooner or later, it will break on you during a match.

I decided to start shooting again in USPSA Production Class. My son and I shot together about 15 years ago for a 5 year period in the Limited Division. At that time I was shooting an STI and he was shooting a Glock. I’m trying to make a decision on the CZ I want to purchase and it’s like buying tires for the car. There are so many that are similar, I’m not sure which one to go with.

These are the three I’m currently looking at.

CZ 75 SP-01 (SKU: 91152)

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target (SKU: 91159)

CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (SKU: 91153)

I have seen some others recommended by their SKU #, such as a 91117, but I could not locate it on the CZ web site.

I’m looking for opinions on which CZ to go with even if it’s not one I have listed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Get a shadow model, they will have much better triggers, sights and extended mag releases. The shadow models were developed with competition in mind.

I shoot a CZ SP 01 Shadowline. It has the thin aluminum grips small safety since you really won't be using it. I put a 13 lb main spring and an 11 pound recoil spring in it. Really is a sweet gun.

In my opinion the CZ and Tangolglio's are the way to go for production division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up an SP-01 off of Gunbroker for a pretty good price, dropped in about $100 in CGW parts, and worked the sear just a bit to take out probably 80-90% of the rearward trigger travel in single-action. It's not quite as good as a Shadow Target, but close enough for what I paid, and I didn't have to sit on a waiting list to have it.

Granted, all this has done is make me want a Shadow Target or Accu-Shadow that much more.

Is anyone using a Shadow Lite over the Shadow SP01 for Production? I am wondering what kind of difference that 3oz makes on transitions and recoil management.

Do the 75 Shadow frames now have the same magwell, trigger guard undercut, and beaver tail?

I tuned up a SP01 Tactical and it works just fine for Production for me. I guess it might depend upon your goals vs. budget.

Just picked up a tactical..what was your full set of mods?

Is anyone using a Shadow Lite over the Shadow SP01 for Production? I am wondering what kind of difference that 3oz makes on transitions and recoil management.

Do the 75 Shadow frames now have the same magwell, trigger guard undercut, and beaver tail?

I'm shooting the 75 Shadow with the short dust cover. I've also owned a SP-01 in the past. Other than having the short dust cover, nearly everything else is identical. The weight difference is barely noticable and is not an issue.

if it were me I'd buy the 'regular' SP01 SHADOW. and add the following:

10 or 11lb recoil spring (match to load)

13lb hammer spring (or if you can use CGW parts try their 11.5)

extended Firing pin (again if rules allow use the CGW pin with reduced power spring)

pre-B disconnector (or CGW disco)

that will give you the best bang for buck. while doing that smooth out some of the parts as per kneelingatlas's thread.

beyond that the comp hammer is a great part, but a bit more costly. though if you're doing the disco and confident about fitting the sear to the safety with the new hammer then a comp hammer will improve the SA trigger.

you now have a nice reliable shadow with decent trigger, short pre-travel and short reset in SA and not too heavy in DA either.

then shoot the hell out of it!