Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hard chrome durability

3djedi

Does the hard chrome finish on the STi's hold up well to holster draw abuse? I had a blued sti eagle that got scratched up QUICKLY and I hope this beautiful new executive will hold up much better with a hard chrome finish...

I've been using a bladetech holster but maybe one of those safariland's with the felt lining would go along way to protect the finish.

My hard chromed Springfield is about 25 years old. I have shot USPSA with it since the day I got it. I'd say it's seen a few draws and lots of handling. It shows absolutely NO holster wear after nearly a quarter of a century (NOW I feel old!).

I've only used it for a couple dry fire sessions and it already has scuffs and scratches! I had a piece of grip tape on the receiver where the support thumb sits. I wonder if bits of that sandpaper like material are getting rubbed off from the holster and falling down causing scratches in the holster......... the black specs are pieces of plastic from the holster (bladetech). This is why I hate expensive toys! If it were a glock who would care?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-d5R_WiZxQbU/U3J563AxZoI/AAAAAAAACxA/AMLKIliqzys/w1097-h823-no/20140513_150023.jpg

Edited by 3djedi

My STI has been used a lot out of a dusty kydex holster and the worst thing that happens to the finish is that it gets a little shiny. Hard chrome is very durable. I can't think of anything harder.

maybe you should re-think using a $50 holster for a $2500 gun. get a race holster and that problem goes away.

Race holsters are great for USPSA but not secure enough for 3gun.

maybe you should re-think using a $50 holster for a $2500 gun. get a race holster and that problem goes away.

Race holsters are great for USPSA but not secure enough for 3gun.

Apparently you have never received a mega-wedgie while attempting to draw from a DAA Racemaster holster with the lock engaged. Kydex holsters can still drop guns because they are nothing but friction, my Racemaster retains my pistol through everything and doesn't booger up the finish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Bladetech WRS only because SAfariland doesn't make an ALS holster for an Edge. If you think kydex causes wear you should see what rocks and rood top simulators do to an almost fully exposed pistol.

It is a tool. Run it, muck it up and shoot the snot out of it, send it back after a couple years and get it done again. You want to collect them and run them with a white cloth?

Hardchrome will last, it will show wear, but will protect the metal from corrosion.

It is a tool. Run it, muck it up and shoot the snot out of it, send it back after a couple years and get it done again. You want to collect them and run them with a white cloth?

Hardchrome will last, it will show wear, but will protect the metal from corrosion.

Yeah, I know you are right but when you spend this much $$$ on something I wanted to keep it look'n good! lol My glocks look better and better with wear and tear but I don't think that will be the same with hard chrome. Oh well. It's all about having fun anyway.....

Yeah, I know you are right but when you spend this much $$$ on something I wanted to keep it look'n good! lol My glocks look better and better with wear and tear but I don't think that will be the same with hard chrome. Oh well. It's all about having fun anyway.....

DSC_0026_zps471bd4e6.jpg

Here is my Brazo's limited gun, ran from Bladetech kydex for 4 years

That still looks great! I wonder how come mine is already scratched and scuffed just from doing dryfire. I haven't even used it in a match yet! It's gotta be from putting grip tape were my support thumb rests. I think it is rubbing the kydex and breaking bits of the gritty stuff off and falling into the holster and scratching the gun. I took it off already.....

post-48839-0-25025000-1400363045_thumb.j

Edited by 3djedi