Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long does powder stay good?

bigarm

Decades.

Smell it and as long as it doesn't smell like crap use it without fear. Some flake powders will clump a little with age, but you can just shake them up to break the clumps or stir with a wooded dowel.

I still am working on some ww452AA and 700x I bought around '90.

"Keep your powder and primers cool, they will last a real long time and not pose a bad fire hazard if you do! Bullseye and Unique powders were first made in 1899 and 1901, and samples from the very first batch of each of those two are still in existence. They are double base (somewhere around 35% nitroglycerine dissolved in 65% nitrocellulose with other small amounts of stabilizers and burn rate controllers) and are stored in water. That's right, about 110 years ago the powder was put in glass containers in which distilled water was poured in to cover it and exclude air, and then kept cool and in complete darkness to prevent decomposition. Powder is also light sensitive, it has to be kept in total darkness for best results. When the powder is tested periodically the samples are removed, dried, and tested. That's it. The last time I read about the very first batch of Bullseye and Unique being tested, the powder tested just like stuff made last year. That is stable!"

I have powders for over 30 years that are fine. And one or two because of not storing in proper conditions went bad. Deterioted powder has an acrid type of smell, not the usuall acetone type of smell. And sometimes there'll be an off color dust in the container when you open it. Don't confuse the normal graphite coating as something bad. My container had a reddish dust come out when I opened it.

After WW2 Bruce Hodgdon bought all the military surplus powder he could get and it was sold as 4831until about 1975 when that stock was gone and the "Newly Manufactured" 4831 came on the market.

When in doubt check the look and smell against a new can of powder.

Stored under reasonable conditions it lasts a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. thanks for all the replies. I was sure I had powder stored in my shop, but went out and looked yesterday and could not find it. I will look again, but it looks like it's back to checking shops and online for some again. I am sure not having luck with that!

• 3 months later...

I still shoot Ball C from the 60's that is good. But my H4831 I got at the same time is bad. I had some IMR4350 I got in 1990 go bad already. It is just my opinion, but I believe ball powders store longer. I should mention that none of these powders were kept in any special storage, just my garage.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not trust old IMR4198, because I have had two old cans of it go bad, with the acidic smell and red dust on pouring.

I have an 8 pound can of WWII 4831 out in my shed that is just fine.

I have a lot of German ammo from the 1930's that is going bad. I have a lot of British .303 from 1936 to 1952 that is going bad. I have a lot of US ammo from 1940 and later that is all just fine. The powder is fine, the primers are the problem.

As said above, try to keep it cool, and it should last a long time.