Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting 2011 and glock

3djedi

I know there's tons of posts about 2011 vs glock. That's not the point here...I want to know who shoots both.

I am thinking about shooting 2011 for limited and a glock 34 for IDPA. Is this a mistake? I know the grip angle are different and wonder how this will effect switching back and forth between platforms.

So do you think this is a bad idea? Those of you who do it, how is it working for you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Hello: I have done it and even shot nationals. Or you could shoot your 2011 in both games if legal? A 2011 40 eagle type pistol shooting minor loads is pretty sweat to shoot. Only thing better is a bull barreled 9mm 2011 for IDPA. Thanks, Eric

i think the saying goes, "beware the man with one gun."

but i have an assortment of toys and enjoy mixing it up. but the ergo's and trigger of the 2011 are hard to go backwards from back to glocks.

but like noted above, buy a 2011 that is idpa-legal and you'll be shooting the same platform for all the games.

After shooting Glocks for years going to a 2011 was a definite different experience when it came to my grip. Changed it up as I had to drop the safety now but with some practice I can run the same grip with both but the only problem being that my strong hand thumb sits on the Glock slide release now and won't go to slide lock. Not really a concern as the only game I shoot where this would be a problem would be IDPA and I don;t shoot as much as I used to. The advantage of going between both is more than the disadvantage.

I am one of those that has a big problem switching back and forth between a 1911 and a Glock. For reference, I dry fire about 15-20 mins/day with live fire practice about 2x/month, so I build a lot of muscle memory with whatever I'm actively practicing with. Here's a breakdown of the issues I have:

When I've been practicing exclusively on the 1911, and try to switch to a glock:

-Trigger slapping/jerking causing shots to go low/left when I really speed things up such as when shooting a bill drill

-Frequently missing my grip on the draw

-Front sight indexes high on the draw or on fast target transitions when I move my eyes to the next target and then bring the gun there

-Reload angle is slightly off causing me to catch more reloads on the back side of the magwell

When I've been practicing exclusively on the Glock, and try to switch to a 1911:

-Trigger freeze on close/fast targets

-Not riding the thumb safety after a reload causing my grip/strong hand thumb to unintentionally re-engage the safety under recoil

-Trigger slapping/jerking on long or tight shots due to being used to a longer, heavier trigger pull on the Glock

All of this can be corrected with dry fire and live fire practice, but it takes about 2-4 weeks before I'm really settled in and relying exclusively on subconscious shooting/muscle memory.

I will on occasion shoot my Glock though my mainstay is usually a 1911/2011. For me the grip angle hasn't been much a problem when transitioning back and forth. Its the Glock trigger that I have to spend the most time getting re accustomed to and mainly on the hard/far shots.