Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Personal absolute min OAL

Craig N

SAAMI spec is the shortest I would go in any caliber unless deliberately trying to create low-power rounds. When you decrease OAL, you generally increase pressure.

Edited by wgj3

This is one of those questions that I think needs more context. What caliber is just the start. Then bullet type, objective (major, minor power or just plinking), powder type, etc....

So in absence of those details I go with SAAMI specs. For .40 I think that's 1.085"...?

In 9mm, all of the different head stamps, I've cut into, have walls that start thickening .3" into the case. I measure new bullets. I try to set the OAL so that I'm 10 to15 mils back from the rifling. If that requires that I seat the bullet deeper than .3", I don't use the bullet. Never a problem with my Glocks. Only the Precision 147's don't work in my CZ.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can send the barrel back to LWD with a couple of dummy rounds loaded out to 1.150 and have them ream the chamber and open the throat. It takes about a week turn around and they advertise a $35.00 charge to do this. I have all of mine done there before I buy them and just request the "GT Hole". Never had a problem with a reamed and throated barrel from them and they also have never charged me to do it. It sure makes life easier once this is done. I am sure that KKM offers the same service and Dawson Precision will do any barrel for $35.00.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Guess my question is why don't they ream them all b4 shipping so they are closer to other chamber sizes. Reckon they meant to load shorter for a hotter velocity to make mpf while keeping the bullet close to the lands for better accuracy? Just wondering. Thanks for the reaming advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by grouptherapy