Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any reason to/not to build a 16" carbine?

steviesterno

Hey guys,

In my always random quest for deals and good buys, I'm really thinking hard about building a no-frills 16" AR in 223. The problem is, I don't "need" it. I have an 18" game rifle, and a 10" SBR for HD, and a 5" 22 upper for S&G. Now I'm looking at a certain website that's offering nice looking full uppers including BCG and stuff for $350, free shipping. Seems too good to be true. Now the real question is, do I have any reason to get one?

Other factors to consider... I can come up with $350 to blow, so that's easy. I have a lower and LPK, along with gift certificates to Bass Pro to get a stock set up. Also, the rear sight, so it would be up and running for literally $350.

I was thinking it would make a decent truck gun. It should be the same length as the PG 500 I keep in there on the weekends, and much more useful.

Your thoughts?

Go with midlength gas - softer shooting and more reliable at 16". My problem with building truck guns is I can't leave them alone... a $500 beater quickly evolves into a $1000+ safe queen.

You just described my life, unfortunately. I still scratch my head trying to figure out how I got a bone stock M4 cheapo into a race gun I don't use for anything. It's a sickness.

I know it's a sickness. I started 3 gun with a DPMS AR, 16" carbine. The only remaining part on it is the front take down pin. Now it's a noveske, JP, Magpul, Nordic, Timminey, Trijicon race monster. was thinking it would be nice to have a cheap and easy AR for leaving in the truck or trips to the shady part of town

right? Everytime someone asks me how many guns I want, the answer is "just one more"... I am at the point where I don't know how many I have without a head count. And does a lower count? What about that shotgun I got for decoration? Or one of the gutted frames just waiting for more parts?

16" ARs . and shorter, are just cool. Not the perfect match rifle, but sometimes cool just makes them more fun. I shoot a 16" gun with flip up irons in local matches, built around a used m4 barrel I bought for $75. a2 flash hider, carbine gas, flip up sights. Great little rifle.

I am assuming you are looking at PSA

they have or had in the past few days a rifle kit for like $409

you could be into a new ar15 for under $500

it is almost unbelievable

makes me wonder how ak's are still even bought... especially arsenal ones... and especially especially 5.45x39 ones...

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

yes, it's PSA. their deals seem too good to pass up right now, and they get great reviews from what I've seen. Slow to ship, but I'll wait a month to get awhile upper for what BCGs were going for about a year ago.

Seems like you can never have too many rifles! worst case, I'll sell a moss berg 500 and this will take it's place. I seem to be switching more to carbines/ARs for go to guns anyway, with finally more time behind them than a pump

A no frills carbine is something you can use to test stuff, beat up, and just abuse the heck out of in training/practice. Throw in on the ground, throw it in the mud, bang it against cover, etc. Will you do that with your game gun or precision gun?

And who knows, if you use it long enough you mind find it reliable and light enough to carry around when the zombie apocalypse comes, or rather, the most accessible, being it that it’s ready to go in your truck.

So, of course you “need” it. What a stupid question. :roflol:

I actually do abuse the heck out of my game gun. What's the point of having it? Not being stupid, but my fat ass has slammed it into a barricade, thrown it into buckets, shot a muddy rainy night match, all with no problems. I train with it as well.

But you're right, a nice little carbine would be a good choice. who else is ordering with me?

I put together a 16" upper last winter mainly from spare parts and prize table pickings. The only thing I had to buy was a barrel. I didn't try to justify it much, beyond why the hell not and because I could...

I did try and rationalize it from a HD standpoint that my wife can shoot an AR much more effectively than the 870 12 ga we also keep in the bedroom... but she saw right through me on that one and said "build it if you want".

FWIW, she did like shooting it!