Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 'professional'

Max It

hi ya, so I loaded some 124gn plated for the glock match; I am a R.O. and the match is free! cant pass up free.

my standard load for xd9 and cz75 is 3.5gn of 700x. it didn't cycle the Glock on Saturday.

so I went home that night and loaded 4.3 gn for Sunday match.

after a hot day being ro we got to shoot the match.

they are oversized and don't fit borrowed Glock; either too fat or too long or both. despite they work fine in xd or cz75. disgusted and 5PM I had enough and didn't pursue getting factory ammo.

lessons learned: - 1. I needn't try competition with a borrowed 34, since I am never going to get anywhere with competitioin class on a gun I don't know.

2. professional means guys/gals who aren't necessarily shooters and gun is just one item in their equipment, hence they buy ammo and don't want the complications, nor do they shoot steel guns that require some intimacy with the guts.

3. Glocks don't shoot reloads, at least not well. in fact Glock says to use factory ammo.

conclusion; the only way I will get a Glock is free. and then I think a model 21, 45ACP might be a tad more forgiving with reloads, what do you think?

much obliged,

max

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, and I mean this with all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. My guess is that you are newer to the shooting games and just have not learned all the ins and outs yet.

point 1- You are correct. You won't get very far borrowing a gun for competition that you are not familiar with.

point 2- I really don't understand what you are trying to say about professionals. Sorry

Point 3- Glocks shoot QUALITY reloads better than most guns out there. If A glock won't eat your reloads then there is something really wrong with the loads not the gun. ALL GUN MAKERS TYPICALLY TELL YOU NOT TO SHOOT RELOADS. That's just a liability thing.

There is a reason many shooters consider Glocks to be their "go to" platform. They are very reliable, there are tons of DIY mods available, they are very forgiving regarding ammo, they just run and run, no matter how dirty they get, etc......... Also, in my experience it's pretty hard to make a round too long for a Glock that fit's in an XD or CZ. CZ's have notoriously short chambers and my XDM chamber is shorter than my G34.

What do I think? I think I about covered it. :) You can't go wrong with a G34 in competition.

Kevin, OK maybe the Sunday batch I made are a bit long, I will shorten them and take to range today and report back.

however one shooter after my problem arose yesterday took his barrel out and showed me that mine are too fat to fully enter the chamber. now if that is a too long problem I am in the wrong, especially since I sixed them with my chamber tool as well as I use an Evolution Gun Works undersized sizing die made for them by Lee.

oh and I am shooting, casting, reloading, and competing for about five years; includes about three trips a week to local range where I am a member, and steel madness competition where I am a member; shoot once or twice a month. But I have been wrong before.

much obliged,

Max

Edited by Max It

It sounds like your first loads fit the chamber but did not cycle ? Then you added 22% more powder with everything else left the same on you reloading set up? Then the new batch would not chamber due to being too fat? You may want to check ti see if your new powder charge is being compressed to the point that the bullet or case are being deformed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

hi, I think Sgt Kevin hit the nail on the head; even tho' I thought I left the Dillon 550 at same settings, it migrated too long or I loaded some flat point 147's or whatever but the ammo was too long. why the helpful guy at the shoot thought they were too fat after inserting one in his barrel is beyond me. to rub it in he said "get a rcbs". but too long was the problem.

now that I am rested I could have gone over to our shack and shortened them on club's 550 however at the end of RO'ing some of the 500 who came to the two day shoot and it being 85+ deg I had enough.

much obliged,

max

Does the gun have an aftermarket barrel? I had the same problem with a LWD barrel and my reloads, I had it reamed and now it runs great.

On point #3 you are WAY off base, At least 95% of my shooting is reloads and other than that one instance, which was not the Glocks fault, all 4 of mine eat whatever I feed them.

My 34 has seen very few factory rounds through it, and I'm doing my best to wear it out.

I'm confident that your (untested) reloads are what caused your problems.

I agree AJ; however I just came back from the indoor range

both my XD9-Tac and CZ75-SA shoot the 3.4gn just fine as well as the 4.3gn loads,

agreed that the length was a tich too long on the 4.3gn,

as for the springs on the Glock 34; Ron says they were special, didntwork

then the Glock Armorer redid them and it still didn't cycle.

live and learn,

much obliged,

Max

Seriously, follow published load data, you will be all good. A tich too long could mean many things. Use a digital caliper, 1.125-1.130 is going to be your OAL with 9mm. It WILL cycle in your glock, if you make it right. Did the armorer replace your springs? Did you shoot a GSSF match? They'll replace everything in it for free. I have 3 g17's, and I use a gen1 with reloads to play production. It works flawlessly.

Hi A, yes, 1.13x (I already shortened them, so not exactly sure)

yes, the Armorer changed all springs after I couldn't recycle on Sat

yes this was a GSSF match.

maybe I wasn't clear; this was a borrowed gun.

no I wont buy a Glock; I just came back from the range

my CZ and XD shoot these rounds just fine.

much obliged,

Max

Well, you had to borrow a buddies gun to shoot a glock match, and he got it back non functioning, even after the pros went thru it. Idk was it not working before? Good luck, I hope your friend isn't too pissed.

hi AJ, I must have misstated; his gun works fine, as you yourself said 'a tich' too long, that's all.

however on the first load it wasn't too long, two weak for the G34, fine in my guns. that is the part I didn't realize to start out. so by 5pm on second day of match with the too long ammo, I was wasted to spend time in the reloading room and shorten it and just left.

no way I am going to buy a Glock, especially since I am always in the running for a free one. my best guess now is that a G21 would best match what I already load for my 1911. so if I win one it will be that one. no hurry; every year I RO three different matches and each time I earn at least one ticket to a Glock drawing, no hurry.

much obliged,

Max

quote:they are oversized and don't fit borrowed Glock; either too fat or too long or both..

how is the 1st station on your 550 set?? how far does the brass go in..

Edited by GmanCdp

HI Ya Gman, I have a Evolution Gun Works special sizing and decapping die; it is undersize, so I balked when one shooter took out his barrel and showed me my ammo wouldn't go all the way in. he declared that his RCBS was far superior to my lowly Dillon 550. nevertheless I stand by the EGW die. When I bought it I was casting and sizing my own lead and this saved my bacon much.

now as far as how much it goes in, I can test that and rest. but let me say that I have a separate chamber tool to test fully made cartridges and they all fit. finally I have since shot same ammo in both my XD and CZ. Therefore I wholeheartedly support the Glock statement '...professionals..' right people who don't shoot for fun, get ammo free from work dept and want a simple gun that goes bang. that's fine, I wil take a free one when I win a raffle.

much obliged,

Max

Professional; my definition:- not wiki anything.

someone who works with it for a living. that's a professional.

not necessarily a shooter. maybe just shoots qualifier's for his/her dept. twice a year.

maybe not mechanical enough to clean and maintain other than with the group at the range.

KISS is the word that may fit this one. certainly not all prof's.

I agree AJ; however I just came back from the indoor range

both my XD9-Tac and CZ75-SA shoot the 3.4gn just fine as well as the 4.3gn loads,

agreed that the length was a tich too long on the 4.3gn,

as for the springs on the Glock 34; Ron says they were special, didntwork

then the Glock Armorer redid them and it still didn't cycle.

live and learn,

much obliged,

Max

Does your XD or CZ have reduced recoil springs? The stock Glock recoil springs are about 17 Lbs. That was probably your problem on the first day. On the second day, the reloads were too long. Can't blame Glock for your reloads. Not all guns will function with all reloads. One of the reasons people reloads is so that they can have the perfect load for their particular gun setup.

hi Ya, I think my xd and cz are stock springs now. I have fooled around with all that and gave up fiddling with success. especially as I sent the xd back after about 17,000 rounds. springfield didn't say what they did but I think they changed the springs back. I was having accuracy problems.

on the CZ well I am losing track of what is in it. despite my keeping book on all this.

I do agree that the problem in fact is my reloads.

However noted by me; Glocks are simple for the person who wants an easy to clean and handle gun, preferably with box ammo. and that is their idea of professional.

I am not one of those. I am a competitive tactical shooter who wants the most for the least, fast.

much obliged to all,

Max

To most Glock "Professionals" their Glock is one of many tools that they use every day: vehicles, Tasers, pepper spray, body armor, et cetera. The Glock Professional hats were originally only handed out at the Armorer courses set up for law enforcement officers, law enforcement dealers and Glock stocking dealers. Yes, these are pistols that pend more time in the holster than at the firing range, but I have only seen one break (kaboom) and that was a 35 I bought to use for USPSA. And guess what? It was very difficult to get a handload tailored to fit the gun that would feed reliably. Once I got the load sorted out it was fine. I moved on to STI guns and sold the 35 to a friend who sold it to another friend that has used it to quickly surpass my skill level. Because someone does not have great success with a make and model does not make it junk. I guess that is why they make Chevies, Fords, Pontiacs, etc. Good luck with your shooting.

And a second to RammerJammer. :sight: