Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

polished up my M&P mags...working much better now

jriggs

not that they didn't work great in the past...but it seemed like every once in a while if the pistol was at a weird angle or something wasn't just right...a mag would get caught up when dropping. so I decided to take my mags apart and polish them since they were getting new basepads for this years 3 gun season.

long story short...they drop like a brick now with ZERO issues and I think they look pretty good too!

post-48412-0-10326500-1396365874_thumb.p

big ol polishing wheels on a bench grinder and some metal polish with some elbow grease :)

it didn't take long...maybe an hour to do all five of them.

they feed and run fine....no issues yet and I don't foresee any either.

Edited by jriggs

You stripped the bluing?

My mags as just as shiny but as factory blued, never had the slightest problem.. Admittedly freezing temps have never been an issue lol but we'll see about that come the Nats in June

from the factory...the blueing was more of a matt finish on these mags...black in color. they were definitely not glossy in any way...and like I said it was more of a once in really random while when a mag would hang up...but I figured for competition why not make sure they NEVER hang up. they get wiped down and cleaned up whenever I've shot them, and then placed back in the safe so I'm not worried about them rusting. plus there is a such a high polish on them now that corrosion should be less of an issue.

plus...why can't us M&P guys have really pretty mags like all the STI guys ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only person that has had this issue. It was driving me nuts. I shot on a few snowy days this winter and I noticed that's when it's the worst and pretty much every single one of my mags would not drop free. Then I would come home and try them inside my house and only a few of them would stick. I also felt a bit of friction on a few of them when inserting them before they hit the mag catch. Is it possible for the steel mags to slightly expand over time if you leave them loaded a lot? I recently purchased 2 new magazines and they don't have any friction when inserting.

from the factory...the blueing was more of a matt finish on these mags...black in color. they were definitely not glossy in any way...and like I said it was more of a once in really random while when a mag would hang up...but I figured for competition why not make sure they NEVER hang up. they get wiped down and cleaned up whenever I've shot them, and then placed back in the safe so I'm not worried about them rusting. plus there is a such a high polish on them now that corrosion should be less of an issue.

plus...why can't us M&P guys have really pretty mags like all the STI guys ;)

Ah OK you must have the "new" (and not at all improved) M&P mags. Mine are the original mags, very shiny bluing.

New design of followers to the old ones as well which make loading such a b*tch by comparision.

• 1 month later...

Wow, those sure are shiny! Something I tried when my holster was acting up which works really well on the mags. Silicon spray. I spray a little on some cloth and rub down the mags and inner magwell. My magazines damn near fly out of the magwell.