Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Barrel Manufacturere Make all these:

Chriznak

I was looking for a while at different manufactures websites( douglas, bartlein, krieger, shilen, etc) and retail sites (midway, brownells) to find 1 manufacture that makes all of the following heavy/varmint 26" barrels with the following twist rates for the following cartridges:

115 grain 6mm creedmoor: 1 in 7"
150 grain 308 winchester: 1 in 12"
230 grain 300 norma magnum: 1 in 10"
250 grain 338 lapua magnum: 1 in 12"

if one does not make all 4 options, I would prefer to have 1 supplier for my short actions and 1 supplier for my lapua actions.

In summary, what are pros/cons to have your action sent off to barrel makers for chambering/threading/attachment or order blanks and have a local smith do those tasks?

*Bartlein says they have a 6 month delay on their site*

You might want to call Benchmark in Arlington, WA or visit if you're nearby.

I sent some barrel work in and their turnaround was about 2 weeks which seems pretty good for a shop that's reputable among the benchrest crowd.

I haven't ordered a barrel to spec from them, but there are gobs of reviews online.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem with getting your barrel from one source and your machine work from another. Often you can find a barrel you like in stock one place (Bugholes, for example) but a better turn around on the smithing from another (LRI, for example.) My last LRI build took about 3 weeks from sending the parts to receiving back the barreled action - and yes, they do good work. I believe that Chad has reamers for each of the carts you identified. Only problem.... once you go this route you will have some difficulty in having a regular factory gun in the future. Just sayin... :)

Unless you are using a gunsmith of known ability, I would let the barrel maker chamber it. There are 4 other smiths in my city besides me, and I would not let ANY of them chamber a precision rifle for me based on known reputation and their equipment. Three of them don't even use floating pilot reamers and one of those uses rental reamers! If you have a 'smith nearby with a good reputation for PRECISION work (not just a reputation for being able to get any gun running when it's broken) then go for it, but if I didn't build my own rifles I would only send a barrel to one other guy within 100 miles of here. f you are spending $350+ on a blank, it's worth an extra $20 in shipping to make sure it is done right.

I would definitely have them sent off to a quality gunsmith and not worry about the barrel maker chambering your rifle. There are so many quality rifle builders to chose from not to mention some of the larger ones already have blanks in stock so then that will save you the time of having to order the barrel and then wait to get it chambered.

I agree. I would have a good smith do the work. Nothing against barrel makers but they are barrel makers. They are excellent at that and would probably have no trouble with the machining of threading and chambering but I feel better having a good smith doing my action truing and threading/chambering and fitting everything together. Also some barrel makers that do offer the chambering send it out to get it done so it's not even getting done by them but someone they trust to do the work. Does this mean it's bad work? Of course not as the barrel makers know that the work comes back on their reputation but when I am building a rifle and spending my money I want a smith I trust to do the work.

Karen at Hart Barrel was fantastic to work with. NO dog in this fight but she cares and will take the time to talk about the things that I had questions on, even followed up on a issue she didn't know the immediate answer to. Bought 7 separate barrels and each of the time frames quoted were adhered to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The douglas and Shlien barrels will not last as long as some of the others. There are lots of barrels with good track records. Get a gunsmith to do the work that specializes in Long range NRA Highpower or sniper rifles etc. as there are special reamers that are used with the specialty bullets, not only the barrels. They should also true up the action. 6.5 CM and .308 are all on a short action, the 300 Norma magnum (good luck on brass) needs a long action and a .338 Lapua is an usually on a larger action.