Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot my first match today

GunBandit

Shot my first match today, finally after weather cancellations. It was AWESOME! Shot at South Central Gun Club and had a blast. The squad was very accepting of me as a new shooter and were also very helpful. I didn't meet my goals of no mikes, but that will hopefully come with time and practice. Oh and patience. I out ran my sights when I logged 4 mikes on one stage. Good guys like Owen, Jared, Jake Martens and others helped me slow down and also work on a good stage plan. Thanks guys! I knew I would love it but didn't realize how much fun it would be. I jumped in and pasted and helped keep score. The latter was a little intimidating because I was afraid I would screw something up, but everybody helped out and it's not too hard. All I have to say is, if you are holding out because you are worried about how you will look or if you will screw up forget about that. People get mikes, FTFs, forget their plan sometimes, but at the end of the day we have a blast. So if you are on the fence get a gun, some mags, ammo and gear and get out and shoot. You won't be sorry you did. Can't wait for next weekend and the April match.

Had a few takeaways.

1. Don't outrun your sights. Let the gun settle and focus.

2. Don't try to run at the same speed as the faster guys in your squad.

3. Take as many opps as you can to walk through a stage.

4. Help out with pasting and scoring. Makes it smoother for everybody in the squad.

5. Don't be afraid to ask questions. People don't judge and are more than willing to help.

6. Leave a mike or ns behind. Take what you learn from it and practice.

7. Practice, practice, practice. I did some before, but can always use more.

anyway enough rambling. I just wanted to share a little of my experience.

thanks,

Matt

Looks like it was a great first experience Matt. Sounds kind of like my first go a few months back. It's a great sport with some real genuine people. Get ready to be scouring the internet on new toys for your next match. If you thinking you'll be doing this a while it would be worth picking up some good reading material. Brian Enos and Ben Stoeger both have great action pistol shooting books out. As far as I know Brian has one and Ben has 3 out at the moment and will be releasing his 4th book in the next month. What you will learn in these books will really put your best foot forward and answer so many questions you will have. Best of luck and have fun.

Awesome! Glad to see more new people getting in the sport. Always take advantage of your stage walk-through and do not deviate from your plan.

Learned this the hard way. I was glad to go last, but I changed my plan after seeing the others run the stage....arrrgh!

Uncledoc

Warning! It is addicting. I did my first match in July 2013. In that short time I have shot more than 20 local matches and will do my first major match next month (Area-1 Championship). Best advice I was given, slow down. The speed will come. Be safe and don't get DQ'd.

I am shooting my first USPSA match on Tuesday and they have one stage that is a combination of both hands, strong and weak hand only stage which has me a little intimidated but you have to start somewhere I suppose. I'm just hoping for no DQ!

Awesome for you and I probably know most of the people that were in your squad. Jake is about as knowledgable as it gets and an all around good guy, also a great shooter. Glad you had a great first match and I look forward to shooting with you!

Thanks all. It is an awesome sport. I shot the April match yesterday and had a blast again. I didn't achieve my goal of no MIKES. But I did cut down on the amount that I had. I need to do a lot more dry fire practice and live fire to work on following my sights. I need to get Ben's book and probably Steve Anderson's book and of course Brian's book and then put that to practice. I had several A's followed by C's higher up in the target. I am making an assumption that the C's were my second shot and I wasn't waiting on the gun to settle. Either way I love it and will keep on working. Oh and I hate that I have to shoot the classifier first, only because that is where our squad started, but I can deal with that. I just wish I could get warmed up first.

Good luck Shel on your match. I'm sure your club will take care of you and don't be afraid to ask questions throughout.

I look forward to meeting and shooting with you too Chris. Now I've gotta reload and get a pratice plan together and work on that until the May match.

A complete miss on paper.

Which can be very costly, had two in one stage in the weekend.

Tell me about it. I had 8 in my first match and 4 in my last one. I hate mikes so much I almost told my shooting buddy, whose name is Mike, he needed to find another ride home. :roflol: