Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What recoil spring are you using in G34?

CPW1265

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I had some lighter 115 gr loads that work in my 2011 just fine, but were stove piping in a friends stock glock 34. I don't know the stock weight of a G34 recoil spring and curious how low he should go.

These rounds don't stove pipe but I'd like to get the recoil to as low as I can. It's 35 Knockdown Steel targets so I'd like to get them down as fast as possible lol

I have a Carver Custom mount with a C-More dot on the G34 and a S&W M&P 9L I use for limited. I normally use the M&P for USPSA but I'd like to use the G34 as a play gun :-)

Comes with 17lb. Some people use 13lb. Spring. Depends on your ammo. I bet you could use 13 with your 131 pf ammo. They only cost a few bucks so why not order a 13 and 15 and give them a try....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I replaced my 34 gen 4 with a 13lb spring. You can definitely tell a difference. I purchased mine through ZEV technologies. It was the 13lb ISMI recoil spring. If you have a GEN 4 you will need to get a spring plug so you can use the GEN 3 model of springs. With your PF you shouldn't have any problems cycling the slide. Mine works every time with 125 PF.

Do you have to change the guide rod to change the springs? I'm interested in doing this to my Gen 4 34.

Yes. You need to replace the GEN4 guide rod assembly and purchase the individual parts, guide ( either stainless or tungsten ), your spring ( recommend a 13lb ISMI ) and then a guide rod GEN 4 to GEN 3 guide rod plug.

Am I the only one that uses the stock spring?

I installed a Jager rod and 13# ISMI in my gen4 34. I shot it yesterday and didn't like it, it hit my hands harder, and I didn't notice any different recoil behavior. So I put the factory RSA back in the gun.

I spoke to a Glock Armor at the Phila gun show yesterday and he said a lighter spring would produce more felt recoil, much like Apexer said.

The guy had an attitude like a junk yard dog, so I factored that in with his thoughts. Something like, anything a person came up with was rejected off hand.

In contrast, some of you like the better handling with 13#'s. What kind of difference do you see/feel?

I spoke to a Glock Armor at the Phila gun show yesterday and he said a lighter spring would produce more felt recoil, much like Apexer said.

The guy had an attitude like a junk yard dog, so I factored that in with his thoughts. Something like, anything a person came up with was rejected off hand.

In contrast, some of you like the better handling with 13#'s. What kind of difference do you see/feel?

That was my assumption of what a lighter spring would do... so I'm confused why so many people use them.

I've never had a round that makes minor power factor not cycle the slide with the stock spring, while using 115 or 147gr bullets.

Am I the only one that uses the stock spring?

No, I went back to it on my G35. I used a lighter recoil spring and noticed the slide pulling slightly out of battery as I pulled the trigger. The recoil spring opposes the force needed to pull the striker spring using the trigger. Don't go too light or the slide will move as you pull the trigger. Edited by bountyhunter

In a G34 a 13 pound spring is one of the first things most serious shooters do to the gun. Improves the tracking of the gun. Gets on target quicker on follow up shots. A strong spring slams the gun shut with enough force to make the nose dip when the gun locks up. A lighter spring reduces that forward energy and makes the gun more manageable. As for being too light, I have never talked to anybody who had lock up problems with a 13 pound spring in a 34. Now, an 11 pounder is another story. 11's can be shaken out of battery by hand sometimes they are that light and they get finicky when the gun gets dirty. A 34 will certainly come out of battery with an 11,especially if you stay with a stock striker spring. Of course once you start messing with light striker springs you risk light strikes so you would need a lightened and lengthened striker. Even after I went with an aftermarket light trigger and striker w/spring I still did not go lower than a 13 pound recoil spring. And with the 13 I could run the gun almost all year without cleaning it.