Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR Major 9mm Powder? Alliant Powder?

dhunt91

Has anyone done this I came across someone who has these IMR instock was wondering if anyone has tried this for major as well as minor

G17 Open Build with a LW Barrel and Carver 4 Port comp.

I have some auto comp but I only have about a half of a pound left.

Also anyone used Power Pistol or Unique.

Edited by dhunt91

No Im in east Texas and am extremely limited in what I can get. I try to find ppl in Dallas area to look for autocomp and hs-6 for me when ever I can but not very much luck there either.

Autocomp and HS-6 for sure...

I couldnt get enough 3n37 in a 9mm case to make major PF

I use 7625, but not a fan for major PF

Havent tried silhouette, but hear good things about it

what do you know about silhouette?

what do you know about silhouette?

I have heard sillohuette. Is a good, clean, major PF powder for comp'd guns.

I was running 8.1gr of 3N37 at 1.155 OAL out of a Carver G17 open gun with a 4-port and a 13# wolf spring for 172 PF for years. Great gas volume and the comp worked great. Only issues I had with the gun were self caused, such as toying too much with the OAL which caused rounds to wedge in the mags. Other than that, when I left well enough alone the gun ran like a champ. If you ever get the opportunity to get some 3N, do it and try it. I'll be happy to share my data on it if you do.

I use hs6, favorite is 7625. I read that 7625 was going to be discontinued this year because its to expensive. Ive got a lot of friends using autocomp and cant find any anywhere. Friend just told me a wholesaler in Denver is driving to Tulsa to pick up powder. He is limited to 10 lbs of autocomp and he has about 100 people on the wait list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've run VVN350, Trublue,Longshot, and Autocomp for major 9. Gun/comp configuration makes a difference on what powder works best.(Longshot is filthy stuff)

Although 4756 is my "backup" powder for .38 sc, when I can't find VVN350, I can't get enough in a 9mm case to get close to major.

Sorry to be naive, but what is unique?

It is one of the oldest and used to be one of the most common pistol powders around. It was the first powder I used when I began reloading in 1980. A very versatile and beloved powder although dirty. A flake powder slower than Bullseye but faster than Blue Dot. I have not been able to get any for about a year now but see it sometimes on Gunbot where it sells out in about 15 min. One of my favorite 9MM loads is 4.0 grains of it under a 147gr Barry's Plated bullet.

Edited by Lubecktech