Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power outages

GrumpyOne

I have an extraordinary amount of power outages at my house. I'm talking 3-4 short duration (30 minutes to 1 hour) outages per week, and at least 1 long duration (4 hour outage) a month. Tonight happens to be the long duration outage. Power has been out since 6:15 this evening, not supposed to be back on till around 11pm tonivht. First, Progress Energy was our supplier...I complained to them, wrote letters, reported them to the BBB and Public Service Commission. The PSA actually had them call me, they told me what they were gonna do (trim the trees by the lines) which they did.....once...and it got better...for 3-4 months....and then it starts again...don't they realize that trees continue to grow and must be trimmed regualrly?

Well, they sold our area to Duke Energy....and they are no better....tonight, I looked at their website, it said the outage was just around the corner from the house....so after 3.5 hours, I went to see what was going on....seems the first truck they sent backed into where they "thought" the break in the line was, only to get stuck.....mind you, I was there, 3.5 hours later, when the second boom truck pulled up, and got stuck a little further up the road where the break actually was....it was like watching a free circus...

I feel your pain. We used to have the same problem with intermittent outages sometimes as long as 8 hours. Finally, I bought a 4400 Watt generator and guess what - went years with not a single outage. Guess it was cheap insurance.

Here in Ct we lost power 3 different times for over 7 days each time. This last year was the first year we were able to have a Halloween in 2 years. The power outage in 2012 from Sandy lasted 9 days. The lousy CL&P electric company had one truck for our whole town. I drove around for a full day and didn't see one work truck.Their union rules would'nt let them work after 6 and started at 9AM. Of course there was a rate increase after the lights went back on. I would buy a generator and send those SOBs a bill.

I also have Duke energy now and have similar problems. Every time I call to get an expected restoration time they tell me 2 hours. 2 hours later they add another 2 hours, this continues until power is restored. Offered to pay whatever it cost to connect to another line or whatever would solve our power issues. Actually was told I don't lose my power all that often. Am I wrong to expect power during rain storms? Apparently I am.

Reminds me of driving north from Fla to Pa during the Sandy storm. I passed many convoys of line trucks headed up north to help. Then NJ lineman's union would not let them in to help restore power.

Yup, I bought me a 10kw genset. And, I too, haven't had an outage since; even through this past winter with major ice storms. There is something spooky about that.

The power goes out here every so often so we got a gene.

I don't think we've ever hooked up the gene so fast as when the power went out just as the Red Wings were heading into overtime!

Can't miss exciting hockey! :)

Saturday morning....Power is out yet again. It's been out for 30 minutes...said they'd try to have it back on by 4pm...

Iffen I had a generator, at the rate the power goes out at my house, I wouldn't be able to afford the gas/diesel/propane to run the damn thing.

This is ridiculous.

Everyone should own a generator. I am in an area of the country that almost never loses power but owning one has come in handy over the past 10 years.

+1

Back in the late 90's, we lost power for 5 days in the middle of July. Temps were in the 90's every stinking day, and we lost everything in the freezer.

Two weeks later I drove from southeastern Ohio, to the Indianapolis area, to buy a 13KW PTO driven trailer-mounted generator. It works the snot out of my 22 HP tractor, but will run the entire ranch . . . central AC, clothes dryer . . . everything.

One of the smartest things I have ever done ;)

If I had that many power outages and it was a problem, I would either move or get a generator. We've been hammered at the beach all morning by storms and the power hasn't flinched. I like those Kohler units that are seamless.

We were out about 3 hours 2 weeks ago. . . . they were replacing our 3 phase pole that has 4 transformers hanging on it plus our meter base/disconnect.

The day before I asked them how long it was gonna take, they said most of the day, so I told everybody in the shop they had a day off.

Other than that, it's been several years since we've had anything longer than a BLINK. Rural Elec. CO-OP

• 5 weeks later...

I'm gonna use this thread to track the long duration outages...power just went out....gonna be another long duration outage...time is 4pm est ...this will be the 3rd LD outage since I started this thread on 3/21/14.

edit to add...Shoot, I could have had several other LD outages...if no one was home...some of the short durations could have been several hour's

Edited by GrumpyOne

• 4 weeks later...

Power went out again a few minutes ago. When I called it in, the automated response said my outage had been reported at 5:42...but I didn't have an outage at 5:42...I had one at 7:28...estimate is 11pm for power restored..

Anytime you need a place with electricity you're welcome here in CT. Of course you can't bring most of your guns.......................

Edited by Youngeyes

• 5 weeks later...

I too feel your pain. It's a rare day when we don't get at least one blink sometime during the day. Outages at least once or twice a month if not weekly. Bright sunshine 500 miles in every direction so not storm related. Been that way for years. We've lost an incredible amount in damaged equipment over the years. AEP always has some excuse but drive by the local DQ any day of the week and you'll see every truck from this area. Lived in DFW 15 years and probably didn't see more than a half dozen outages and those were during severe electrical storms.

I hear you, I called my power company (PSNH) because a tree down the street from me was putting a lot of pressure on the power lines. I was just trying to let them know before an ice storm took out power to the street. PSNH told me they don't trim trees but they would be willing to drop the line if I wanted to hire a tree cutting service (mind you it isn't on my property). Then I hear an interview with a PSNH rep on the radio where they claim to be investing lots of money in the infrastucture including preemptive tree trimming. Urg, I was so pissed. These are the same idiots who beg every summer for folks to turn off their AC so because they don't want to upgrade the infrastucture.

• 2 weeks later...