Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 85 Combat

rott

Along the lines of the of the Decocker CZ75 dont seem popular why? thread, why doesn't the CZ 85 Combat model seem popular? Based on what I have read on the forum I would have thought it would be more popular since it doesn't have a FPB.

I have tried both a CZ75 and a SP-01 and prefer them over the Glocks and M&Ps. Is there any reason to get a CZ75B or SP-01 over a CZ 85 Combat?

like steel1212 said. the reason is because the shadow is basically a better version of the 85C. and since it's IPSC and USPSA production legal it's more popular. 85C is a good thing, just the shadow has a couple nicer features.

I will say that I shot with somebody...can't remover who, that had a 75BD. It was the slickest decocker I've ever seen. The trigger pull and reset was very nice and you get to start from half cock!!

85 combat is a poor mans shadow. In the grand scheme of things, if you are serious about being competitive in production, the cost of the gun is the cheap part compared to ammo, match fees, and travel expensices. Might as well spend a couple hundred more for a better gun.

Shadow>combat>75b>75bd

75bd....it's better than nothing, decocker is a pain to take apart

Decocker is EASY to take apart. Putting that little #$@^&% decocker cage back TOGETHER is

a total pain in the patootie. Just did one last night. SP01 Tactical, put in CGW's short reset

disconnector and a couple of other goodies. DA 6 lbs 5 oz, SA 2 lbs even. Ended up with

two Tacticals---really starting to like them, but they do take a bit more fiddlin' to get them running.

Edited by open17

I know what you mean Atlas. Hate the short beavertail. Love my stainless 75b with the longer one. BTW,I saw where CGW has a "large shipment" of 85C's coming in with a ton of sweet CGW parts and work. Can't wait to get my mitts on one of them.

I started with a plain jane 75B and then later moved on to an 85C. One of the main reasons I went with that was that all my 75B stuff transfered over, and I essentially have a backup gun now that is identical enough to stand in for the other if necessary.

There's a good deal of weak hand shooting in IDPA, which is my main focus, so I wanted the ambidextrous controls. And I also like saying, "No, it's not a 75B, it's an 85C," and seeing the confusion.

My 85 Combat in satin nickel has been a reliable, accurate shooter for almost 10 years. With over 14,000 rounds through it, there have been fewer than 10 failures to feed or eject. The adjustable rear sight failed at about 10,000 rounds but that is the only mechanical problem.

It eats everything from bulk 115gr factory ammo to my 124gr FMJ, 135gr lead moly coated, and 147gr FMJ reloads. It has a few mods - a new front sight with a small diameter green fiber optic. CZ Custom installed their special hammer and did an action job. It has Hogue rubber finger-groove grips that fit my large thin hands perfectly. The double action first shot is smooth and I estimate around 9 - 10 pounds. As a revolver shooter, I have to laugh at those who complain that a double action first shot in a selbslader is somehow mysteriously unmanageable. The single action is so light and crisp (with a bit of take-up) that I am often reluctant to let new shooters try it. The 10 and 15 shot mags still have their original springs. I clean them a couple of times a year, at most.

Short beaver tail vs. long beaver tail? It makes no difference to me. (I don't even know what a long beaver tail looks like on a 9mm.) I get a good, high grip, employ medium firm grip pressure, and off I go. The hammer has never bitten me.

The magwell is not beveled? So what? As long as I practice my reloads, I might lose only a small bit of time from not having a beveled magwell. I'll make that up with all "A" hits. The tapered mag body helps reloads quite a bit.

Chris

It is a solid gun, easy to field strip and clean, and good to go for USPSA Production or IDPA Stock Service Pistol. If I ever had to carry something more than my .38 spl snub nose to protect myself, my 85 Combat would be my choice.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Given that the Shadow is discontinued for 2014, what are the options without breaking the bank and getting an Accu-Shadow or Shadow Target?

not entirely true. CZ-USA is not listing the 75 Shadow in the catalog, but we have the ability to build the 75 Shadow pistol as a DA/SA, as a SAO, as a Custom.

not entirely true. CZ-USA is not listing the 75 Shadow in the catalog, but we have the ability to build the 75 Shadow pistol as a DA/SA, as a SAO, as a Custom.

That's good news. When would you expect to have them in stock for the DA/SA version? I took a look at the site. Is it the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Custom 2014 Black under the CZ Pistol Custom?