Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .223 bullets are you using?

JPB

Agreed, the USPS rate should be cheaper than 100 bones.
Might want to call and talk to them if you are interested to see if the shipping calculator is accurate. I've had good customer service from them before by talking to them.

Just as an FYI - The Hornady box of 6k outside dimensions are 12"x9"x3.35", the large flat rate box Inside dimension is 12" x 12" x 5 1/2". Might be tight, or maybe you could get them to repack.

The shipping rate for Fed-Ex to my place from an order last year was $25 plus $5 insurance, and that included several other items besides the bullets.

Also look on PSA, I bought the case, 6k of the Hornady 55s last year from them with free shipping. 500 wasn't a bad price for 6,000 bullets. Normally the shipping is 40 for the case if not on one of their specials.

• 2 months later...

Just a FYI - Widener's has a sale this weekend on the 55gr Hornady FMJ with free shipping.

"HORNADY BP 22 CAL 55GR FMJBT W/C BULLETS $469.00/6000 FREE S/H USPS"

I buy 55 gain hornady's. Either boatail FMJ's or flat base soft points. I prefer the boattails for ease of feeding in my hornady lock-n-load as I don't have the bullet feeder yet. I buy them in 1,000 count lots and usually have them shipped to my door for under 10 cents a round. It is a little cheaper if you buy in larger quantities

• 1 month later...

Xtreme usually has $5 shipping. Their in house orices used to be a little lower than online so you'd save a little showing up vs shipping. Now, I work 20 minutes from them and just bought 1000 223 rounds....I will be shipping the next order. It is cheaper.

The 55 grain Hornady FMJ's are great, but for the same price if you find them available try the Hornady 55 grain soft points. I thought they would be about the same but my 3 gun rifle shoots those soft points tighter than the FMJ's.

X-Treme 55gr. They're well priced (about $40/M) and beginning today until the end of August, they're offering free shipping on orders over $150. I've also used their plated pistol bullets forever and would never change.

X-Treme 55gr. They're well priced (about $40/M) and beginning today until the end of August, they're offering free shipping on orders over $150. I've also used their plated pistol bullets forever and would never change.

I think you meant $39.49/500 not 1K :cheers:

I used several boxes of the 55gr Hornady SP's. The did shoot well but I find flat base bullets kind of a pain to load. For "bang, bang" ammo I like the convenience of the FMJ's with the boat tail.

If I am going to load a flat base bullet it would be a 60gr VMAX. I have a 24" bull barrel AR upper that will do awesome things with a 60gr VMAX, 25.3gr of Varget, and a Rem 7 1/2 primer. If I am loading 223 for longer range accuracy it will be either a 69 or 77gr SMK.

with what ever bullet you choose I recommend looking at one of the ballistic calculators. JBM has one that has most all bullets already loaded for use. Bullet drop is not the only thing to look for, consider windage and energy remaining. For example; if your shooting no further then 200 yds most bullets are transparent provided they are accurate enough, start shooing E types or big steel at 500-600, and you get more target action out of a 77 then a 55g. I think 77's do a better job on Larue robo-targets too.

• 4 weeks later...