Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .223 bullets are you using?

JPB

I use these for general all around loads:https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000042255HP

Very close to price of extremes or Hornadys in quantities of 500 and far more accurate (.4"-.7" consistently @ 100 in my rifles). I like accurate loads and if I'm going to spend the time working up and producing loads for my firearms I think it's false economy to load bullets that don't shoot as well. JMHO

If I want even better long range accuracy I use Nosler BTBT's or Sierra 69 MK :cheers:

The folks at Midsouth are good peeps from my experience and their prices on all reloading components are pretty decent.

Edited by reptoid

Xtreme 55g wwww.xtremebullets.com

These.

Jacketed, BT is easy to seat, good accuracy - and usually around 8 cents each delivered when there's a code floating around (less than 10 w/o).

Anyone know/remember what the final outcome of the Montana Gold 55 FMJHs was? Just one bad batch? or worse than that?

I hadn't heard any final resolution, I know there were some buyers that claimed they were able to get a refund. Also, they still aren't offered on their site so that doesn't look good.

I'll use the Xtreme 55's for practice, but, they are not as accurate as Hornady 55 FMJ's in any of my rifles. So, matches see the Hornady 55's and Nosler 55 Ballistic Tips.

^ This.

I'm not yet done playing with the Xtremes/loads yet, but the Hornady FMJ-BTs and SPs work pretty well, and have used them out to ~400yards or so.

If I were shooting only matches up to 100yards or so, whatever I can get my hands on at < 10c/each.

I picked up some 'random' 55gr FMJ-BTs from Roze/Zero at a good price, but looking at the base of them, the lead seems to be uneven. Haven't weighed or shot them yet; maybe they're seconds.

Weighing the Hornady and Xtremes, the Xtremes actually came out to be slightly more consistent in weight from a random sampling of 10each, with a less pronounced cannelure than the Hornadies.

Haven't been able to shoot them out to range yet on the Xtremes.

Where are you guys getting the Hornady bullets? I'm having trouble finding any

Sign up for notifications from places like nachez, midway and other suppliers and be ready to buy in a hurry. They do come into stock, but go relatively quickly.

Where are you guys getting the Hornady bullets? I'm having trouble finding any

Sign up for notifications from places like nachez, midway and other suppliers and be ready to buy in a hurry. They do come into stock, but go relatively quickly.

Thanks. I'll have to do that soon

I was going to order until they wanted to charge 106 bucks for flat rate shipping. No thanks

Pat

which company was that?

Just guessing here, but likely referring to the MidSouth link posted above. It's for ~6,000, so the weight makes shipping costs a factor. Although if my calculations are correct it weighs less than a case of MG 124 gr JHP and those come with free shipping......