Rich219

Most people start out as a D or C, and work their way up to B,

and sit there forever (don't ask how I know). :surprise:

To become an A, you have to shoot 75% as well as Eric :ph34r:

That is Really Hard.

Enjoy the ride - see if you can make it faster than I did (20 years

to get to B B). :blush:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

On average, your average competitor will NEVER reach GM.

There is a thread floating around here somewhere that is all about what it takes to be pro or reach GM. The round counts per year for practice to make GM is ludicrous. Something like 20,000 rounds a year to practice, as a starting point, plus basically going to every match possible year round. Crazy dedication to make GM. Live. Eat. Breathe. Shoot.

I think most physically fit shooters with average amount of time to practice can probably make A, probably. At least they will hold an A card but competing at the level of your classification is a whole new story.

Personally I wouldn't want a GM card unless I could shoot in a well rounded squad of other GMs and at least hang mid-pack performance wise. Then there is the top GMs, top GM level play is just insane. That's like holding a card that says GM Extra Power on it.

Just go watch Super Squad videos on YouTube. Blows my mind every time.

Isn't Jesse Duff also the youngest to ever reach GM?

On your original question OP, look at how the classification system works and you'll understand better what it takes. It isn't a matter of how much you shoot or how many matches you go to or anything like that. The classification system ranks each score for a given classifier course against the highest one ever set. That means my score gets compared to Dave Sevigny's(because I shoot production) score and I get awarded a percentage of what he scored based on where my hit factor (score divided by time) compares to his.

So since his hit factor is like 100 and mine is like 5 :)

That means I shoot in the 5th percentile compared to him. Which is low low indeed. I need to shoot a given percentage of his score to achieve a certain class. I believe 40%-60% would get me C. 60%-75% would get me B and so on until I'm as good as he is and then I get my GM card in the mail :) simple right?

On the USPSA site they have a top 20 list for each class for all divisions but I don't know where you'd go to get a comprehensive breakdown of how many of each class are out there.

Is there a table of USPSA makeup in regard to classification levels?

USPSA web site used to have this, but the link I saved, it no longer works.. they might have moved it

You might ask them if it's still available

Wow cool link Bosshoss! The state breakdown is interesting.

Eusebio made it at 12?! Wow. I was not aware of that. Jeez now I feel like I suck even more than I sucked before knowing that.

Cool tables. Not what I would have thought for membership being that I joined at the 1st of the year and got A83660. Didn't really realize there are so few active shooters and so many inactive. I'm currently unclassified and need a 36% on my next classifier to slip into "C" class. I didn't think that there would only be 112 shooters in IL with a higher classification if I make "C".

Basically, my perception has been that this sport is larger than it really is.

That is true. I shot my first 3 matches before joining. Our local match draws about 40 in the winter months and I've heard around 60 when we go back outside. Close to 1/3 of the shooters don't put down a USPSA # when registering.

Keep in mind that in some areas almost half of the shooters at local matches are not USPSA members. So more people shoot than these numbers show.

One of the ways to fix that is to have the section provide an incentive to membership......

Around here there's a $5 discount for USPSA members, and if you join at a match (pay whatever the membership fee is for the term you select -- usually $40/1 Yr) you shoot that match for free.....

So really, if you shoot 5 or more matches, you've earned your membership fee back.....