Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone have trouble with Rio target loads?

Nickoli

I bought a case of Rio target loads that were on sale so I picked them up. Me, being a genius, didn't practice with them before a polar match a couple weeks ago, and well I have several failure to ejected. I thought maybe it was my gun and not the ammo because I have never had a problem with any other ammo in my JM.

Then my buddy said this week that he was having the same issues with the ammo in his VM.

I have noticed the rim looks rounded compared to other ammo, have a feeling thats the problem. Has anyone else had issues with this stuff?

I shot around 3k of them last year the only problem I had was 1 dud.

I had this issue when I would shoot around the left side of a wall. Found out I was not giving it enough room to eject out of the gun. I only had problems at one club on a certain bay and finally figured out what I was doing.

Headed up to the Arizona State Sporting Clays shoot tomorrow and all I shoot is Rio. Right at 80 flats in the last couple of years (20,000 shells). Never had a failure to ignite in my K80. Just received another 40 flats last month so I expect that to continue. One ounce target loads at 1280fps.

Wonder what my issue is then. After I work on the new barrel that I just got ill run some more and see how they do. For all I know it coild be operator error, but I've had the FTEs, and switched to bulk federals right after and she runs like a champ.

I'll give it another go this weekend since its going to be in the 40s again.

Rio's won't run reliably through either my SuperNova or my Versamax (worse in the Nova). The brass and hull are so thin that the shell expands into the extractor groove on the barrel. It happens with shotguns that use a twist bolt and have a very large extractor groove (Benellis, Berettas, Stoegers, Franchis, 1300s, Versamax). This area of the chamber is unsupported and the case must be strong enough to take the pressure. RIO's are the only brand that has done this in my guns. I'll practice with whatever I can get my hands on, but when I go to matches I only shoot higher quality shells. Aint so bad because matches only constitutes about 20% of my overall ammo consumption.

PS... RIO buck and slugs run through my guns fine.

Edited by co-exprs

Rio's won't run reliably through either my SuperNova or my Versamax (worse in the Nova). The brass and hull are so thin that the shell expands into the extractor groove on the barrel. It happens with shotguns that use a twist bolt and have a very large extractor groove (Benellis, Berettas, Stoegers, Franchis, 1300s, Versamax). This area of the chamber is unsupported and the case must be strong enough to take the pressure. RIO's are the only brand that has done this in my guns. I'll practice with whatever I can get my hands on, but when I go to matches I only shoot higher quality shells. Aint so bad because matches only constitutes about 20% of my overall ammo consumption.

PS... RIO buck and slugs run through my guns fine.

Same issue I have with my Vmax using the #8 2 3/4 dram. They cycle really well, but extraction is poor. If I put a spent hull in the gun and try to cycle it out by hand it just does 180's in the ejection port. Everything else ejects (empty hulls) like you would expect. I cant get through 8 rounds of rio low recoil bird without a failure.

Rio and Kemen last year started a joint manufacturing facility state side (TN or KY IIRC). There first couple lots did have some problems. I would consider contacting Rio to determine if your case is one of the effected lots. Typically Rio's are great shells for a budget shooter.