Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match

brownnutz

First off, sorry to the mods if this is considered a double posting...

So I have been on here for the last few days reading and learning, I am shooting my first USPSA match on Sunday and am absolutely nerve racked. Reading some stories on here from shooters and RSO's is humbling to say the least. Does anyone have any advise (what to do and not do) for a n00b? Thanks in advance.

-Tony

Dont shoot the R.O, Dont shoot other shooters, and dont shoot yourself.

In that particular order.

Just have fun, follow the safety rules, let the MD and RO you are a new shooter. Worry about playing safe and following the rules and not trying to be the fastest guy on the range.

I'd also like to add , not saying this is you, but :

If you are new to firearms and action shooting, PLEASE learn how to use , manipulate, and handle your firearm. We have had , on multiple occasions, to send new shooters home during the new shooter safety briefing because they barely knew how to change a magazine or properly handle the gun. I swear that some people that have shown up it must of been their first time ever touching a gun.

Edited by alecmc

Thanks Rick! Funny, I just read the post about DQ'ing someone for the first time (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190376) and it scared the hell out of me because I am a FIRM believer in safety first...pride second.

Alec, thanks as well. I am plenty concerned about the safety (see above) of myself and everyone around me primarily. I know my Sig VERY well so it all boils down to mechanics at that point. Shooting for the first time with a timer, on the move and knowing I am being scored is an ENTIRELY different issue :) Everyone is telling me to just have fun and BE SAFE...while the competitor in me is going NUTS! I want to push my limit...but at a safe pace in a safe place.

I just started last year, so some advice from another newbie that's not too far down the path. My main focus was going slow enough I made the RO feel safe. Dry firing is the best way to practice the gun manipulation skills needed. Drawing from the holster and thinking about not getting your finger on the trigger too soon. Focus on the front sights. Be accurate more than fast. When you move your feet keep your finger off the trigger. Practice mag changes. Practice "If done, unload and show clear...hammer down and reholster." Once you get down the basics of the gun manipulation, then you start to get a good feel for the competition and flow of the match.

Trying to push it your first match is asking for trouble. All I can do is echo the others and tell you to take it slow and be safe. It breaks my heart to have to send a new shooter home early. Well, actually no it doesn't. But it does bother me (just a little)when they never come back.

Sarge...I can imagine. The point is to have fun and shoot safe and that thought can't get past some people with bloated egos.

IronicTwitch....All that info is really great and I am happy that the things you listed are things I am working on at home or on the range. Great thing about the Sig...I can dry fire it all day long :)

Alma...Thank you again!! Did you say you were going to SoMD match?

Relax and have fun. Take your time and make sure you only shoot as fast as you can acquire good sight picture with every shot. Focus on muzzle awareness when moving thru a stage and reloading. If you are right handed, when you run to your left and perform a reload be mindful how you manipulate the gun and where the muzzle points.

[quote name="brownnutz" post="2118139" timestamp="1394136861"
I am shooting my first match on Sunday. Does anyone have any advice?

Tony, bring a lot of very warm clothes, gloves, warm hat, warm boots and extra
set of socks. Bring a beverage, and some snacks.

Make a check list the day before of everything to bring to the match
(earmuffs, holster, mags, etc.) If you forget ONE thing, you're done.

Don't change anything (guns, ammo or holster) the day before the match - keep
everything the way you've always practiced. New ammo or mags will NOT work
the day of the match.

Bring along something to sit on - and don't forget to paste & tape.

Your first priority - SAFETY.

Your 2nd priority - SAFETY.

Your 3rd priority - have fun, but go slowly and listen to the RO (tell the RO you're a new shooter).

Meet new people - make friends - share stories - have a BLAST, safely.

Let us know next week how it went. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

If you feel like the competitor in you is going to try and have you outrun your headlights you just need to refocus a little bit. Focus on being the most accurate shooter in the match, be the guy that drops the least points - that's something that you can do, and if you're that focused on accuracy your speed should take care of itself.

disx...that's a good point when transitioning/on the move. COMPLETE awareness of where your barrel is.

Jack....that is something I did not think of (extra clothes, food, etc.) I am making a checklist as we speak :)

Jeff....Noted :) I now have a new thing to focus on. Thanks for that!!

Brownnuts,

Unfortunately I won't make it out to this one. Saving the hall pass for the 3 gun match at Peacemaker on March 15th.

If you haven't already spent some time practicing your draw and reloads with anyone ammo or anything. For your draw focus on getting a firm high grip while the gun is in the holster and keeping yourself finger off of the trigger until you are close to being on target. Most like to index your finger on the frame just above the trigger until ready to engage targets. While practicing reloading also pay special attention to where your trigger finger is. It should go back to that same spot on the frame for your entire reload until you are ready to fire again.

I remember that you had said that you were saving up for PeaceMaker. I have been doing this in sequence for the last 2 weeks with no ammo....

While firearm is holstered (no mag), imagining make ready.

load mag, rack, decock, holster

draw, finding and focus on front site

dry fire

mag drop (ensuring barrel is still down range)...with finger off trigger.

reload

focus on front site

dry fire again

imagine cease fire

release mag

place mag in back pocket

rack and show clear

decock and holster

Now that entire session in succession has been done maybe 3 dozen times slowly and speeding up a little as I get comfortable. That said, the majority of those steps were done in chunks. the ENTIRE session with live fire has been done about a dozen times all focusing on safety and accuracy.

It sounds like you are well prepared. From a safety perspective it's trigger finger problems (moving, reloading, drawing) and 180 issues that are biggest things to watch out for.

The other fatal flaw is the first time shooters who really think they are hot stuff and show up to their first match assuming that they will out shoot everyone else at the range. When they finish next to last the humiliation is just too much and they never return.

You seem to have the right mentality and have done more than your share of homework so I think you will do well.

Last practical tip: make sure and bring plenty of fluids and perhaps something light to eat if you will be out at the range all day. I wish the weather were better for you but it will still be nice to get out and do some shooting.

You just started drivers ed and you are driving for the first time with a parent. The nerves and fear of screwing up will almost paralyze you.

This is your first match. We your parents will not trust until you have earned it by demonstrating SAFE gun handling. It will take you a lot longer to earn that trust if you try to show off and end up crashing instead.

We will not be impressed by your uber fast draw or how fast you can Unload and Show Clear. We will be impressed by safe gun skills.

...We will not be impressed by your uber fast draw or how fast you can Unload and Show Clear. We will be impressed by safe gun skills.

and I think it's safe to say THIS is why you're Poppa Bear! Thanks Mike :)

I have run a number of new shooters. Without a fault every one of them has commented about how nerve racking that first match was. We will make it look easy and when they come to the line their brain shuts off and the adrenaline starts pumping. The stage ends and the emotional crash causes them to forget the rules of safe gun handling. I have reminded shooters that they need to drop the mag before they ULASC, or they need to holster the gun before I will let them walk down range. I have also stopped a few from breaking the 180 as they try to turn with the gun still in their hand, having forgotten all about it.

ULASC is not a speed event. Take a deep breath and we will walk you through the commands. We know you are new, so we do not expect perfection.

the first goal should be to get through the whole match (ie not DQ).

a couple of things that are easy to stuff up if you haven't shot a lot of USPSA/IPSC.

very easy to have your trigger finger in the wrong place during reloads or movement. be very conscious of taking it off the trigger and holding it well off so the RO can see it. he will be looking.

muzzle direction. when turning and running etc, just be super aware of it. most newbies are good, as it's drummed into them, but then do something like sweep themselves.

be very careful about ports. do not go deep into ports. as a new shooter it's tempting to get right in there. you expose yourself to DQ and sweeping doing that (you have to come back out and the angle can be awkward). so don't go deep into ports.

be aware of your muzzle when opening doors. very easy to sweep. most go gun high and hand down low. you can do it the other way, but gun up high is better.

when you finish the stage. keep facing down range. do not worry about anything except SLOWLY and safely doing the ULSC process. the last thing you want to do is AD after the stage. there is no timer on any more. so take your time. I hate seeing people rush through ULSC. don't do the flip and catch. let the live round fall to the ground. and do NOT try to pick it up until your gun is in the holster (and if it has one) the holster is locked and your hand is off the gun. now you can move freely, and grab the live round etc. this is one thing newbies tend to stuff up a bit (I was guilty of starting to turn as I was re-holstering. luckily a mate pulled me up before I ever went too far and now I stay rock still, feet planted to the spot).

as soon as you leave a stage, go back to your range bag take ALL mags of your belt and reload them all straight away. otherwise you may forget. nothing worse than starting a stage then realising your mags only have 3-5 rounds each!

keep up the fluids.

try to take little breaks sitting down. it can be a long day on your feet.

enjoy it. don't worry at all about how you stack up in the scores. getting through the first match is about learning how it works, and being safe. :)

poppa bear summed up the ULASC stuff perfectly. it's no longer part of the timed contest. and it's a spot where people let their focus and concentration go and it's probably the easiest spot to make a mistake as a new shooter.adrenalin is still pumping and in your mind you are not 'shooting' any more and can easily forget yourself. just stay slow. when you've finished and you hear the "if you are...." from that point I perform the ULASC and re-holster without moving my feet at all. it makes people more comfortable that I'm not about to turn around and sweep etc.