Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-RO Cover Procedural

SSGJohnV

it's a total tribalism. there is no rule anywhere in the rulebook saying your gun and hands can't extend through a port. people want to give a PE for it because they think it would be a bad thing "in real life" as it exposes you to someone taking the gun from you possibly.

and that's all. it's a person's idea/opinion of a bad tactic "in the real world" and so they want to give a PE out for it. again, a tribalism and not in the rule book. not in idpa and not in uspsa.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I get to go searching and see if the "no hands through the window" is just a tribalism or not. They always told us to make sure you stand back and not let the gun go through the portal.

That's the local tribe doing it's thing, not an IDPA rule.

Unless it's a misinterpretation of not being allowed "to stand in the port" rule? "In" the port?

03 Safety Officer (SO) Code of Conduct

3.1. I understand that it is a privilege, and not a right, to be an IDPA Safety Officer.

3.2. I will follow all of the safety rules of IDPA and the host range.

3.3. I recognize that it is my responsibility to maintain a thorough knowledge of the current IDPA rulebook..

Sounds like the SO broke his "oath" to the shooter..

• 4 weeks later...

I have "seen" the same actions (SO informed by an onlooker..Yes onlooker is SO qualified) that a procedural was committed and where....To the active SO's credit, he deemed the "onlookers" point akin to instant replay and told the onlooker to either SO the squad or leave it alone (my words not his). Personally I have witnessed SSP shooters (in local matches) load and shoot excess rounds. I do call it to the shooters attention only as a point to be considered should they compete in a major match. What the SO team does not see, did not happen (IMHO). Ok one exception...Gross safety violations. But even then it's not a fellow shooters "right" to DQ someone for something the SO team does not see.

Edited by Tom C

Yell "COVER" loudly when he shoots. He won't know where it came from in the heat of the moment and concentrating on the targets, and will respond. Time lost. If he figures it out, you and him may have a "discussion" about it. But, he might get the message that those not charged with SOing the squad should remain silent and let the SOs do their job. The fact that the SO/SK accepted his 'peanut gallery' PE call says a lot of them, as well. If you are going to run a squad, then you run the squad.

You can also YELL, Finger!, Muzzle!.... he'll hear it and respond. Time lost. Competitive pistol shooting, whether it's IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, depends upon common courtesy from the other shooters. If he chooses not to accept that level of behavior, a few LOUDLY yelled commands might show him exactly what it's like not to receive that common courtesy.

Can you get on a better run squad for your next match?

Edited by GOF

GOF, that might teach that shooter a thing or three or it might get someone DQ for USLC! On the other hand, it might be something to discuss at the shooters meeting or with the MD at another time when cooler heads prevail. FYI I don't like what happened either!

JMHO

Richard