Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

making the switch to glock

3djedi

I've decided to go ahead and make a switch to glock for carry, HD, and competition.

I'm getting a glock 34 gen 4 from Dawson Precision that comes with nice sights, dawson ice magwell, extended mag bases, and grip tape. I will probably add a stainless steel guide rod but which spring? Should I just stick with the stock 17lbs?

For trigger I'm thinking of going with the glocktriggers THE EDGE. Anybody have experience with this? (I'm torn between the edge, and the vogel system)

Is there anything else I'm missing that I should add to the wish list?

Depending on ammo choice that will determine your recoil spring weight.

Just curious why those two triggers? What stands out about them?

The Edge is pre set pre travel and adjustable Overtravel and puts you in USPSA L10/Limited/Open and IDPA ESP only

The Vogel is Overtravel adjustment only and can be used in anything.

Edited by dskinsler83

One for all three? Stock is very reliable for HD,modified for competition, not so much. Magwell and certain trigger modifications will keep this pistol minor in limited. Otherwise you might be better without magwell and a stock trigger profile available with some aftermarket triggers and shooting production.

For competition the best option in my opinion would be the Gen 3 Glock. You are able to tune your pistol with the right recoil spring and still be SSP legal. And hands down the best trigger I've ever used in a Glock is the custom drop in trigger made by DK Custom Triggers. I've used and tried most of the top names out there and that's the only one I use for all my major matches.

Jason Pratt

IDPA:A45403

USPSA:A78020

Since you were non-specific, I'll say this. The Glock 34 is not a good "3" gun platform for Home Defense, Carry and Competition. The 34 is a fine choice for competition, you just have to decide USPSA or IDPA, the category (SSP, Production, yadd yadda) so you'll know what mods are legal. It's dangerous from a legal perspective to use a modified comp gun for HD and carry as the triggers can be much lighter and (in these letigious times) any mod that makes the firearm look assaultish could weigh against you if you do have to defend yourself in court at some later date even if the person shot was fully deserving of the "gift" (projectile) received. The Glock 19 and the Glock 26 are fine carry and home defense options. Of course, a shotgun should be accessable in the HD relm.

I use a 34 for uspsa production and a 26 for carry. Some people like the 19 instead since it gives you a longer sight radius and more capacity. You can't go wrong with either. My recommendation is get the whole set. A 26 for pocket carry, a 19 for IWB, a 17 for HD, and you already ordered the 34 for competition.

Just a question, why the 34 with the magwell and the Edge trigger? That will put you out of production and you would be scored minor. For 3gun this would be fine though.

Have fun with the switch.

I will take the assumption that you meant you are switching to a Glock platform... Not just one gun (Glock 34).

Like some others on here, I would not recommend tricking out a Glock for competition then also using that same gun for carry and HD. But using the Glock platform and multiple guns is a great idea... Ie. Glock 34 for competition, Glock 17 home defense, Glock 19/26 for carry.

Oh sorry for the confusion. I bought a glock 19 last week for CCW. I changed the sights to the speed sights (speedsight.com) with trijicon. The trigger I left in stock form but I may go ahead a do a 25 cent job on it. I plan on getting a glock 17 for home defense duty and for tactical classes. Not sure which sights I will get or trigger if any. Again, may just do a 25 cent job.

Now, for competition I was thinking glock 34. I could use it for IDPA ESP, USPSA production (or limited minor) and for 3-gun. I was kind of thinking I wanted to keep all my guns of the same caliber (9mm) just so I could stock one ammo type for pistols. And so all magazines would be compatible. Seems it would be convenient. But now I'm reconsidering a glock 35 for competition. I could use 40 minor for IDPA and 3-gun. But now we're talking keeping 9mm, .40 major, .40 minor and different mags for 9mm and 40. There's also the option of a glock 35 for limited and then sticking a 9mm barrel in for IDPA esp and 3-gun. So many options! But one of the reasons I picked glocks was for all of the options and for the cheap mags! I'm really have a hard time deciding between the 34 and 35 now..........

Now I'm also thinking of going with the DK Custom........

My advice or 0.2 is this. Get a Gen3 34 use grip tape and run a trigger that allows you to play in any division. Then use the base pads and magwell for 3gun and Limited minor ( I know a USPSA M close to GM that only shot a G34 in limited until he moved to open and will be running a DK Custom Trigger in his G34 Limited Minor at the ProAm Steel match this year) that way you have a gun that will play in SSP in IDPA and Production in USPSA then slap on a magwell and some ext base pads ( TTI are my choice for Pads and Sights ) and play in ESP in IDPA and Limited/L10 MINOR and 3gun

Oh sorry for the confusion. I bought a glock 19 last week for CCW. I changed the sights to the speed sights (speedsight.com) with trijicon. The trigger I left in stock form but I may go ahead a do a 25 cent job on it. I plan on getting a glock 17 for home defense duty and for tactical classes. Not sure which sights I will get or trigger if any. Again, may just do a 25 cent job.

Now, for competition I was thinking glock 34. I could use it for IDPA ESP, USPSA production (or limited minor) and for 3-gun. I was kind of thinking I wanted to keep all my guns of the same caliber (9mm) just so I could stock one ammo type for pistols. And so all magazines would be compatible. Seems it would be convenient. But now I'm reconsidering a glock 35 for competition. I could use 40 minor for IDPA and 3-gun. But now we're talking keeping 9mm, .40 major, .40 minor and different mags for 9mm and 40. There's also the option of a glock 35 for limited and then sticking a 9mm barrel in for IDPA esp and 3-gun. So many options! But one of the reasons I picked glocks was for all of the options and for the cheap mags! I'm really have a hard time deciding between the 34 and 35 now..........

Either the 19 or the 26 would be a good choice for CCW as long as you (as most Glock shooters are) are comfortable carrying with one in the chamber with no other safety except the gray matter between your ears.

I have shot the 34 in both USPSA and IDPA. Due to very crappy knees now, I've opted to shoot what I carry so I'm using the 19 and, while I take a little friendly ribbing about shooting a "short" gun, I'm only competeing against me to get better with what I carry (and my scores are respectable for an "old man" as they like calling me).. My 19 and I have been together for over 13 years and have a fine relationship. Also, I've sent so much work in the direction of my local Glock armorer, so I get most the guns stuff at no charge or charged for parts only...no labor.

Edited by Tom C

My advice or 0.2 is this. Get a Gen3 34 use grip tape and run a trigger that allows you to play in any division. Then use the base pads and magwell for 3gun and Limited minor ( I know a USPSA M close to GM that only shot a G34 in limited until he moved to open and will be running a DK Custom Trigger in his G34 Limited Minor at the ProAm Steel match this year) that way you have a gun that will play in SSP in IDPA and Production in USPSA then slap on a magwell and some ext base pads ( TTI are my choice for Pads and Sights ) and play in ESP in IDPA and Limited/L10 MINOR and 3gun

I think this is a good idea...

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I like it. At first I wasn't a fan of the rolling break but I've grown to like it. I do wish the reset was a little shorter but it's not a problem...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I like it. At first I wasn't a fan of the rolling break but I've grown to like it. I do wish the reset was a little shorter but it's not a problem...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

How much more have you adjusted the over travel? The trigger has to have movement to ensure the safeties work. Hate you are not happy

You can adjust the overtravel to where you'd like it I'm sure there is still enough room I set it at set screw flush or a tab below you can adjust for more...it's fully adjustable

Edited by dskinsler83

I was in a simalar dilema, choosing between a G34 and a G35 for IDPA and a G23 and a G19 for carry. I chose the G35 and G23 combo (.40 cal) and later on purchased aftermaket 9mm barrels and magazines to go plinking with a cheaper round. It's like having 4 different pistols for just a little more than the price of 2..... just my 2 cents.