Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dawson mag tuning kit

3djedi

Dawson SNL pads and Grams guts gives 20+1 easy. The pads needed .010 machined off the bottom to reliably fit the gauge. I purchased the tuning kit and went through everything in the video that came with it and found no change in capacity or performance.

The Rescomp tubes gave me 21+1but was difficult to seat the magazine with one in the chamber. I did some machining on the Grams follower and the ribs inside the STI tubes and was able to get 22 of .40 S&W in the mag but difficult to seat it with one in the chamber.

Dawson SNL pads and Grams guts gives 20+1 easy. The pads needed .010 machined off the bottom to reliably fit the gauge. I purchased the tuning kit and went through everything in the video that came with it and found no change in capacity or performance.

The Rescomp tubes gave me 21+1but was difficult to seat the magazine with one in the chamber. I did some machining on the Grams follower and the ribs inside the STI tubes and was able to get 22 of .40 S&W in the mag but difficult to seat it with one in the chamber.

So it's tight but you can start with 22 in the mag plus one in the pipe? For starting with 23 at the beep.. Or is it just 22 total to start? Edited by a matt

So it's tight but you can start with 22 in the mag plus one in the pipe? For starting with 23 at the peep. Or is it just 22 total to start?

If you use the Rescomp tubes, Grams guts and Dawson SNL pads you should get 21+1. I do not use it to reload during the course of fire because of the tight seating and the chance of the magazine not locking up during rushed reloads

When using the STI tubes and Grams follower that I machined I was able to get 22 in the mag plus one in the chamber. But seating it with one in the chamber was very difficult and I decided not to use it because of the possibility of a malfunction. I could machine a little more off the follower and clip the spring for a little more room but i have not seen a pressing need to start with 22+1. It was more an experiment to test the limits.

Edited by Zoomy

My rescomp will only let me start w/22.with a 23 is crazy good.

Reread , I said my Rescomp will only hold 21 reloadable ( I can get 22 to barley fit).

I get 22 reloadable in the magazine with using a STI tube that I machined down the side ribs from the inside and cut down the Grams follower. I could try to clip the spring and cut down the follower a little more to make it an easy 22 reloadable. I am a little leary because I had the bullets jam up once in the magazine.

Edited by Zoomy

I found the kit to be worthwhile. Between the tools, post to hold the tube in a vice, and specs (from the DVD) I'm not upset in the slightest with the value. I've done going on 20 mags so far- if only doing a couple it might seem less worth it.

-424D57

I found the kit to be worthwhile. Between the tools, post to hold the tube in a vice, and specs (from the DVD) I'm not upset in the slightest with the value. I've done going on 20 mags so far- if only doing a couple it might seem less worth it.

-424D57

What results did you get from tuning? all the above, or just what you feel or more reliable magazines?

Results varied by mag of course. Some wouldn't drop free before tuning. 2 or 3 tubes I got an extra round after tuning - some capacity due to tube reshaping, some due to fixing drastically out of spec feed lips (too close together). Some tubes just had feed reliability issues that I cleaned up (mostly due to feed lip problems). After the first 10 mags or so I couldn't tell you what problems I fixed, because I just started tuning the mags as soon as they showed up before even trying to use them. Besides my personal mags, I've had a couple friends who were ready to take a dremel to their feed ramp on 2011s that "won't feed _____ bullet profile" or "always nose dive short rounds" whose issues were instantly fixed by adjusting the feed lips to the specs in the dawson video.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with anyone here who says they can do the same work with cheaper tools, but these tools work very well and combined with the video to get dimensions straight from a pro I don't have any complaints with the value.

-424D57