Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 NSSF Rimfire Challenge World Championship

MarkCO

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are so glad you all enjoyed the match. Our goal is to make improvements every year, with the caveat that this sport is still geared towards the novice and new shooter and getting new and or non-gun owners involved in the shooting sports. So if you have any suggestions, ideas, we are all ears.

Huge thanks to Old Fort Gun Club for their effort in making the match a huge success. The staff was friendly and professional and added to the success. I'd like to also thank Michael Bane and Ken Jorgenson for laying the foundation for a shooting sport that frankly, I see as essential to the future health of action shooting sports of all types. Their continued support has been amazing. Zach Snow and a bunch of NSSF staff, some I don't even know, also helped move the match forward with media, banners, press releases and more. Huge thanks to NSSF for taking on the match management and growth of this sport!

Sponsors, literally could not have done it without them. Both the specific match sponsors and the sponsors of the whole program provide so much benefit in promotion and funding to make the World match possible and keep the competitors match fees low. Gold Coast Armory and CCI also helped by providing access to ammo, over 50K rounds was bought at the match by competitors, many of which needed the ammo to shoot the match.

Thanks again to MGMTargets for providing the World match with their steel. The consistency and quality of the steel is a huge benefit for shooters and RSOs alike and was another cog in making the match a huge success.

We had 170 entries and of that, 40 were Ladies and 55 were 17 and younger. There were multiple squads that had whole families shooting together. That alone shows the success of the Rimfire Challenge matches.

If anyone needs help in getting the Rimfire Challenge Series started at your home range, we are all more than glad to help...just let us know.

Jeremy and I had a great time competing in this match...(jump in with both feet)

Thanks to all the great staff and sponsors for putting on a top notch event.

We cant wait to come back soon.

Thanks again,

Bret

Thanks Mark and everyone for the kind words. The success of a match lies largely on the attitude and personalities of those who compete in it. In a nut shell great competitors make great matches. The NSSF events are my personal favorites of competitive shooting. It's just a fun bunch of people to be around. OFGC will schedule it's annual match for sometime in early April. we will shoot 12 stages and there will be some stages like you have never seen before. Hope to se everyone there.

The NSSF photographer took a bunch of photos. A few competitors shot video, but I have not seen but a few single string runs on YouTube. I will try to get a few photos together next week.

A few people have asked me about how I come up with the stages for the World match.

First, I make an attempt to NOT replicate Steel Challenge stages. SC uses prescriptive stages and the top competitors practice them extensively. Since that is not what RFC is about, I try to make sure that I am not just putting stages out that are so close to SC that the SC competitors have an advantage. It is also why the stages for Worlds are not posted ahead of time.

Second, I try to make sure that the basic skills are what I test: trigger control, use of the sights, transitions, first shot. If a competitor has those skills mastered, they will do well. If not, well...they will have to be more patient with the sight pictures. I can actually go look at the stage scores of some competitors and make a good guess as to which of the basic skills they should practice. Also, I try to balance those skills across the stages and within the pistol and rifle stages.

Third, I try to give the competitor some choices as to how to shoot the stage. Hopefully, the choices are close enough that a top competitor who knows their skills and metrics will be able to decipher the best approach for their game. At the same time, the choices have to be simple enough that a novice won't get tripped up, and maybe will even try a few different plans to start to figure out what works best for them.

Fourth, I shoot them, multiple times with a Limited and an Open set-up. I will teak the stages a little here and there based on how the stage flows. The 14 stages at the Worlds, I had run each one multiple times at a variety of speeds to get a feel for how the target presentation would affect the new and the experienced shooter. This is the main reason I refuse to shoot the match for score. I am not suggesting that MDs at local or regional matches set up and shoot their stages ahead of time, as that would not be fair if they then shot for score, but flow is something to consider when designing stages.

I try to keep in mind that while there are some top level competitors that shoot this game, the goal is as a lower stress introduction to the timer based shooting sports. Safety comes first, then sportsmanship with a goal to develop the next generation of shooters in the timer based competitive shooting sports.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...

I will start a new thread for the 2015 World match after SHOT, but I did want to at least get some info out.

The 2015 NSSF RFC World match will be held at Old Fort Gun Club in Ft. Smith Arkansas on October 10-11, 2015. Staff will shoot on Friday, October 9th. We will again have 14 stages, and a side stage with an alternative format to see how the shooters like it.

We will be doing the 2015 match in a Pro-Am style.

This RFC matches, more so than any other, has always been focused on the new and amateur shooters. A Pro-Am style is more in keeping with all of the other registered matches regarding prize tables. But is still gives the Pros an incentive to shoot the world match. I see all of the changes to 2015 as being good for the sport and in keeping with the original goals that the originators of the sport had in mind.

Added to my calendar. Guess I need to find out the details of flying with long guns. I've traveled with pistols before but never long guns. Can we shoot Limited one day and Open the next?

No. With the 14 stages and the general match management, it would not be possible to accommodate a competitor shooting two divisions. We allowed it in 2013, but not in 2014. With the growth, it really just won't work in 2015.

What is this Pro Am format?

Pros shoot for cash, Amateurs shoot for a prize table is likely how it will end up. Still in the formative stages and not in stone. If you have thoughts or ideas, please feel free to email them to me and we will add that to the mix. Our goal is to provide the best experience we can.

No. With the 14 stages and the general match management, it would not be possible to accommodate a competitor shooting two divisions. We allowed it in 2013, but not in 2014. With the growth, it really just won't work in 2015.

Makes sense less gear to travel with as well. I was thinking 28 stages over two days would be pushing things.