Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SureFire multigun Match

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No squadding info and we are two weeks away. I have heard that the match is choosing squads by division, is this true? So somebody in Tac-ops can't squad with somebody in open even if they are riding together?

I talked to Pete yesterday and this is true, squads will be determined by division as well as nearest competition. This is done partly to increase self policing. I understand the frustration with travel. He also said that he hasn't finished the squad lists because there are so many people joining at the last minute, and a few people dropped out.

Posted from my phone

If you guys didn't go to this match, you missed the best match of the year. Pete Rensing and Ken Nelson know how to put together some AMAZING stages. This match had everything; bay stages, 3 gun nation style stages, terrain style stages and even 2 night stages. There were some tough shots, some hoser targets and and Ironman stage that really tested your endurace and equipment. If there is a match associated with Pete and Ken, you can guarantee I'll be there (pending my damn work schedule haha). Thanks guys!!!!

If you guys didn't go to this match, you missed the best match of the year. Pete Rensing and Ken Nelson know how to put together some AMAZING stages. This match had everything; bay stages, 3 gun nation style stages, terrain style stages and even 2 night stages. There were some tough shots, some hoser targets and and Ironman stage that really tested your endurace and equipment. If there is a match associated with Pete and Ken, you can guarantee I'll be there (pending my damn work schedule haha). Thanks guys!!!!

Wow. The best match of the year? So which matches did you shoot this year?

I heard the stages were great but the weather kinda boogered things up???

Wow. The best match of the year? So which matches did you shoot this year?

Multigun nationals, western regionals, crimson trace, fallen brethren, along with some other smaller matches

I heard the stages were great but the weather kinda boogered things up???

The first two days the weather was perfect then the third day the temperature dropped about 25 degrees and was VERY windy

The match was awesome! Definitely one of the best matches I shot this year.....not the best I have shot, but the match itself was awesome!

It was unfortunate that we had to make changes for Sunday due to the weather, but two big things Pete did were awesome. 1: Pete obviously had some foresight in planning how we were going to shoot stages and how squads were set up, which allowed us all to shoot complete matches and only toss out stages the division as a whole had not shot yet....at least for us in TacOps. 2: Pete listened to the shooters when they were given options to shoot in conditions that made resetting and completing a course of fire without reshoots difficult, versus calling it and setting up a shootoff. We wanted to shoot in the wind, and we did, which took time.....I will always want to shoot!

It was an experience shooting different disciplines in one match, that felt a little like a 3GN Regional with double the stages and some added styles tossed in. This was my first time shooting a 400sec par time "Ironman" type stage......and while my raw time was pretty solid at 154 (Horner was 121 raw), I got to learn about how important remembering what needs to be shot when and how many times when I forgot to shoot ALL 4 of the pistol gongs twice instead of once......a 40 sec lesson learned with a smile and "WOW, can I do that again?"

The ROs and staff were some of the best I encountered for a big match yet.

The temps on Sunday were chilly for Vegas, but 50 isn't so bad. The problem is the drastic temp shift caused winds high enough to blow over the MGM flash targets set out behind the back berm at 250 yards. Resetting them required a cold range and delayed the morning start enough that hard decisions had to be made.

I would have liked to see a shoot off, and the sponsors would have too. Spectators that were supposed to be there because of the fair were not there due to it being shut down because of the winds.

All in all it was a good match. No doubt there were some issues, but hopefully they can be resolved.

Edited by ziebart

Plan was to have the top 3 from the smaller divisions and top 8 from TacOps to compete in a shootoff while the prize table was set up.

With the weather delay, everyone was given the optin between shooting (and reshooting for some of us) or stopping and having the shoot off like planned. Almost everyone wanted to shoot the stages, so we opted to scrap the shootoff.

I think the right decisions were made there. We all love shootoffs, whether in them or not, but with the stages that were there.......I'd rather watch shoot a couple great stages than to watch/shoot a shootoff.

This match definitely broke new ground and was like nothing I'd ever shot before. Pete is a credit to the sport; I just hope he doesn't get burned out! Thanks Pete, Ken and all the match staff. This was a ton of work to host, and I think you guys made the best out of a tough situation with the weather on Sunday.

Planning on it for next year.

Was scoring normalized by points across stages, or was it time-plus for the match?

total time

Really? And the match included "3GN shredfest" and "Iron Man long range" style stages?

I find this interesting. When FNH announced the same scoring, the whining was amazing.

I've heard both arguments either way and understand the reasoning behind both. When it comes down to it, it won't be the deciding factor in whether I attend a match or not. In both methods, when I shoot well and shoot consistent, I place well with both scoring methods.

That said....it would be interesting to see how the scores would be if done by 100pt stages, and how the standing would change.

Was scoring normalized by points across stages, or was it time-plus for the match?

total time

Really? And the match included "3GN shredfest" and "Iron Man long range" style stages?

I find this interesting. When FNH announced the same scoring, the whining was amazing.

I can't see how cumulative time works at this event. Here are the scores.

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=3F288002-EBDF-4FB9-A1D8-38BC155B1AA8&page=matchTacOptics

On the long iron man stage 2nd place shooter in TO had 40 seconds in penlties. Thats more total time in penalties on one stage then the total time for seven of the other stage's total time.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Yes, but not the seven stages time added up. Also a single FTN on each of the short stages would be 35 seconds in penalties.

I took my penalties on the short stages, and if they were 100 points then those penalties would have hurt a lot more than if they were on the long stage. I am not sure that a miss on a short stage should affect your match more than a miss on a long stage.

I see the merits of each, and neither will stop me from shooting a match. At the end of the internet it is unlikely that this match will change from total time. At the same time it is unlikely that people will change their minds about which method is better.

Edited by ziebart

Mark Z.

Great shooting and working with you at the match. (You really burned down some of those stages.) Pete and crew put on an excellent match. Returned home late Monday evening to snow and 4 degree weather. Really makes one appreciate the Las Vegas "Summer" climate.

Jim R....

The nice thing about total time is the penalties were the same regardless of the stage. If you picked up an FTE on a 25 second stage it didn't hurt you any worse than the FTE on the 180 second stage. And there were a lot of penalties at this match. Never seen so many mistakes from the guys at the top of the pack.