Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 9mm Major Recipe for CZ Czechmate

velo918

My two cents.

Yesterday I did some reloading and Chrono on my new CZechmate, due to OCD I only use Hodgdon / Winchester powders so I'm partial with HS-6 and Autocomp, for 38 Super, 357 Sig and 357 Magnum, HP-38 / Win 231 for 9mm minor, 40s&W and 45ACP, I used to use Tite Group but it's to dirty for my taste and in the winter specially if you use lead bullets coated or not it's smokes like a dirty diesel engine.

Since this is my first time reloading 9mm major loads I followed ConeKiller (thanks you Cone) to the letter the only thing I changed was 8.0 grains of HS-6 (I will use 8.1 from now own) and 1.145 -1.148 OAL, I uses 124 grains Round Nose plated bullets and Winchester small pistol Primers.

Yesterday we had 45 degrees and cloudy.

HS-6 8.0 grains average of 1355fps and 168pf (I will use 8.1 to get to 170pf)

Auto Comp 6.8 grains average 1404fps and 174pf (I will drop to 6.6 grains to drop the pf closer to 170)

At 15 yards I was doing 1" groups, the gun felt good, the slide wasn't running flat probably due to a factory heavy recoil spring, I need to get some lighter recoil springs and do some testing. The brass didn't show signs of over pressure no bulge at all indicating that the case is fully supported by the chamber, the spent primer is somehow flat but again doesn't show to much over pressure, my 38 super flat the primer due to over pressure.

I will try to change the OAL to 1.150 or 1.160 to increase the powder charge.. more powder means more gases... more gasses mean the compensator will work better.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can you guys share what kind of primers you are using? I see different ranges from small pistol, small pistol magnum, and small rifle.

I have used all that you mentioned, my chrono says there is really not much difference. I am currently using SRP (Winchester)

That sounds promising, have you compared it to HS6 or 3N38?

It seems to be not as snappy as HS-6 and a little cleaner. Never have tried the VV. I use the XP-100, HS-6, and Autocomp. The XP-100 has a real low recoil impulse. I have been wanting to get some poster board and put a bunch of lines one inch apart with a Sharpi and film in slow motion with my phone to show how much less recoil it has compared to the others. I will do it soon and try to post it after deer season.

• 1 month later...

Three guys at our club shoot the same gun with about the same load

8.1g HS6

CCI pistol or rifle

MG 124 CMJ.

Loaded pretty short 1.140

One of the guys just throated the barrel and is loading out to 1.160 and notice with the same recipe; softer in the hands and a bit better dot movement.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been loading minor loads in my Czechmate to 1.13 with great reliability.  Want to move to a major load with HS-6 and Everglade's 124 jhp rn.  How long on the oal can I go without running into mag or feeding problems ? Will 1.14-1.16 work on Czechmate that has not had the barrel reamed.  Will those longer oal's still allow the mags to function and chamber?  thanks 

i sent all my mags to Bevin Grams for his reshaping work on the tubes and his guts and they run CZC basepads for both 140 and 170. That didn't change the fit any just reliability.  But lots of people find their CZ chambers to be on the short side so you'll want to plunk and free spin test it at whatever length you like, mine never had a problem but a friend's did.

Edited by DavidSeavey

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.   I contacted Bevin Grams a couple of days ago--waiting to hear back.  My minor loads have had some reliability problems when longer than 1.14 with coated rn bullets, but at 1.13 or shorter they've been great.  Hoping to avoid reaming the barrel. A friend who has loaded for a major Czechmate told me that the Everglade 124 jhp rn bullet profile will give me a little more room to work with, we'll see.  I will try the plunk and spin test once they arrive.  I've not shot 9mm major before so there is a learning curve for me. I'm shooting uspsa , trying to get to 165pf.