Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has open guns in stock?

Alaskapopo

I am getting a larger than expected tax refund and was considering a STI Match master from Dawson Precision. Is there anywhere else I should look? Also still debating going to 9mm major or sticking with 38 super comp. I have about 1500 rounds of 38 super comp brass and I have some load data for it. But I also have a STI Steelmaster in 9mm for steel challenge and three gun with a ton of mags converted for 9mm. Was considering going 9mm major but I have no experience reloading a 9mm that hot.

Pat

Basicly one is just as good as the other if the 38 brass isnt an issue, but one thing to consider is resell if you ever need to do so the 9 will hold more value and sell much faster then the 38. However the 38 is faster to load without spilling powder, the 9 is pretty much full at major power factor. Its a personal preference 9 people will say 9, 38 people will say 38 pick the one you like and go for it..

I've had the MatchMaster in 9Major. It is easy to load for with 124s. Several powders like HS6 come to mind. The MatchMaster is not as flat shooting as a standard length 9 Major gun. In my full length I load 9 grains of HS6 with 115 and can crank them out pretty fast on a 650.

You can use the search function and I believe you will find folks shooting 9 major in the SteelMaster. You have 9 mags, go with 9 major. Go out to Starline and price the cost of new 38SC brass.

Also look at the Open Nationals survey. 9 is more popular than 38 again.

There are plenty of loads out there for 9MAJOR that don't fill the case too full to load. I use WAC and can crank them out as fast as minor loads with no spillage

My vote is go with a 9mm, then I can buy your 38 brass :bow: On a side note hopefully Doug will be calling me soon to send my gun back. I can't wait. I have already loaded the last of the brass I got from you and I am ready to start practicing. And I wanted to say thanks again for setting me up to shoot open.

Stay with 38 super for the MatchMaster, the 38 will give you more powder choices to use in the shorter barrel. I currently use 8.0 grains of AutoComp with a 124gr MG bullet and 173pf.

I was petrified to load 9mm MAJOR when I first got my gun,

so I eased into it slowly - now it's a snap.

And you can use

the load above from Kermit (WAC & 124 gr) in a 9mm MAJOR with

only 7.0 grains of WAC - save a whole grain, and get the same

power factor.

Don't sweat loading 9mm Major - even I can do it. :bow:

I bought my STI TruBor at Dawson and my 2nd TruBor

at Brazos - LOVE the one from Brazos. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I would go custom build by a name smith. As stated many have spec guns in stock

I like 38 Super because I don't have to worry about any powder. I can use them all. Yes you can leave 9mm brass but I look at picking as crunches and lot's of you could use crunches. I also think 38 is little easier to keep reliable.

Edited by BSeevers