Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Chrono with limited space?

So I'm getting ready to start my adventures in reloading and obviously would like to get as much data as possible, regardless of the fact I'm not loading for competitions. However the range I go to is indoors which means I have VERY limited space. I know most chronographs require a 10' space between muzzle and the first forks, but that's not an option for me. Any suggestions? I don't even think there is 10' from the stall to the back wall with my heels up against it IF the owner were to even give me special permission.

The 10" is usually to stop muzzle blast from skewing the readings. Set up an IPSC target a couple of feet away from the chrono. Cut a 3"x3" hole in the target and shoot through the hole. Stand as far back from the target as space allows.

Pat

You are allowed to shoot from the back wall? Don't the people in other stalls have a problem with that?

Indoors requires a more intense light source or that infared model. I put the chrono downrange ten feet but that only works if you are allowed and nobody else is at the range. I usually wait for outdoors

BSeevers has it right. Take it outdoors on private property outside of town where you are allowed to legally discharge firearms. Shoot against an earthen embankment or hill and take along friends to work with you to install safety of actions and help in your work. Natural sunlight is perfect for Chrono ops while inside work has to avoid fluorescent lighting.

My oldest son and I found that using an indoor range was a pain with setup, halogen lighting and those around you(shut down the range for setup/takedown, etc). A real pain at our Range!

We are going back Outside to do our work on reloads when Spring arrives in Roswell, Ga.

Luck! Chuck

Edited by chuckols

No no, I don't shoot against the back wall at all, I must have misread the 10' for 10" issue which is where I was coming from on not enough room. I just called them and they have a basement area where they hold tournaments. They said if there isn't anything going on the day I want to bring my Chrono in they can setup a table for me to use! Looks like I'm good to go, just need to find a good reliable machine that hopefully I won't shoot on my first test! LOL

Thanks guys for the feedback, BUT if anyone else wants to chime in for others that might not be so lucky as I am, it might be advantageous!

No no, I don't shoot against the back wall at all, I must have misread the 10' for 10" issue which is where I was coming from on not enough room. I just called them and they have a basement area where they hold tournaments. They said if there isn't anything going on the day I want to bring my Chrono in they can setup a table for me to use! Looks like I'm good to go, just need to find a good reliable machine that hopefully I won't shoot on my first test! LOL

Thanks guys for the feedback, BUT if anyone else wants to chime in for others that might not be so lucky as I am, it might be advantageous!

You were correct the first time, it is 10' (e.g., ten feet) and not 10" (e.g., 10 inches).

Like you said, indoor chrono use is tough. You would have to deal with lighting challenges and a tolerant range which would allow you to set-up down range with the range clear, etc.

• 1 month later...

So I'm getting ready to start my adventures in reloading and obviously would like to get as much data as possible, regardless of the fact I'm not loading for competitions. However the range I go to is indoors which means I have VERY limited space. I know most chronographs require a 10' space between muzzle and the first forks, but that's not an option for me. Any suggestions? I don't even think there is 10' from the stall to the back wall with my heels up against it IF the owner were to even give me special permission.

can you no to a local range and to your chrono

There is a new radar type chronograph coming out soon. It was introduced at the SHOT SHOW. Its called My Lab Radar. It can sit right beside your muzzle. It doesnt have to go downrange.. No lights required.

Have you heard anymore about this. I would be interested to own this

BSeevers has it right. Take it outdoors on private property outside of town where you are allowed to legally discharge firearms. Shoot against an earthen embankment or hill and take along friends to work with you to install safety of actions and help in your work. Natural sunlight is perfect for Chrono ops while inside work has to avoid fluorescent lighting.

My oldest son and I found that using an indoor range was a pain with setup, halogen lighting and those around you(shut down the range for setup/takedown, etc). A real pain at our Range!

We are going back Outside to do our work on reloads when Spring arrives in Roswell, Ga.

Luck! Chuck

+1

• 2 months later...

There is a new radar type chronograph coming out soon. It was introduced at the SHOT SHOW. Its called My Lab Radar. It can sit right beside your muzzle. It doesnt have to go downrange.. No lights required.

Have you heard anymore about this. I would be interested to own this

$$$ X3

I signed up to be notified when the lab radar was going on sale, have heard nothing from them yet.

Any idea on cost? Looks expensive.

It is not easy for me to find an outdoor range for chrono work so this would be nice.