Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 vs Versamax tactical

Durtywrench

I'm eyeing both of these and having a hard time deciding.. I figured my best bet was to turn to you guys. I've held both and both feel great. I've never shot either and don't know when I'd get to. Seems like the Beretta is great out of the box and the versamax needs some work to make it ideal. I'm looking at the beretta 21" 1301 And the versamax 22" tactical... I've been shooting a mossberg 930 jm. Any input ?

I have both a 24" 1301 and a versa max tactical and they both need the same things done, lifters need to be welded and loading ports need to be opened up. The versa comes with a 8+1 capacity where the beretta needs a tube to get going. I have had more stuff done to my versa but it was not necessary to make it competitive. I have not had a chance to shoot the Beretta as it is colder than sh#t here now but it points and swings etc... very nice as it is lighter than the Remington. I have shot a lot of rounds through my Versa max and it has been flawless so far. It all comes down to what fits you better and personal preference. Lighter recoil on the Versa, lighter feel to the Beretta but I don't think you could go wrong with either, or wait for the competition tactical and you won't have to do much to it - The versa loads easier IMO though -

I just started shooting a 1301, and have played with friends' VMs. I prefer shooting and handling the 1301, but the VM loads so much easier. The 1301 is kind of deceptive because even though the loading port is opened from the factory, it really needs work and there's not much material to work with. I have yet to see one that is as easy to load as about every VM I'm played with. However I like the short LOP and lighter weight of the 1301. They're both great shotguns.

1301 open the port & add a NC mag tube .....done..... Im over 2k through mine w zero issues...the VM is softer in recoil & a more open port, like others have said, I didnt need to weld my lifter..... I strong hand QL/L2 & its never been an issue for me...... Good luck w the search ... I was in the same boat you are about 6 months ago.... went round & round .... M2 ....VM....M2...VM.... then I found the 1301....

The VersaMax Competition...a very slight trim of the forearm for loading, and go shoot it. It has everything on it from the factory (which is in the USA BTW). No welded lifter needed, no adding sights, no adding a tube or other parts. Just go shoot it. The operating system is simpler than the 1301, but the 1301 is still pretty new, so we will have to wait and see if it creates any issues for the guys running them.

Edited by MarkCO

Mark, the 1301 is only NEW to the USA, its been run hard and won for quite a few years overseas, where they shoot REAL tactical shotgun matches. That said, the only REAL issue with the 1301's we have is that the front edge of the loading port is kinda screwed up, but its an easy fix. NEEDing the lifter welded is like NEEDing it done on any shotgun, do you REALLY need it???????? or do you just really WANT it. I don't NEED it done to mine, but I'm having it done, anyway.......... Also the VM I saw at SHOT had the rear sight dovetailed pretty shallow, I expect a few to bust loose going into and out of safety tables and barrels. As for having to add an extension to it, vs not on the VM due to US manufacture, how many people are going to keep the short extension that comes with the VM anyway???? you'll likely upgrade to a higher capacity one, but you're still paying for the one that came with it, I'd rather pay once and get what I want.

BTW, looking forward to visiting Kalirado in the next few months, see ya then.

Trapr

Good points. The VM Competition comes with a 8 round tube capacity AND a 2 shot extension (which the one a SHOT did not have installed). So you can run it as a 8+1 or a 10+1. I doubt many people change out the tube.

I know the want and need get mixed up, and you are certainly correct, most people want a non-forked lifter, but some may not need it.

i need to go review Mike's stage now before... :)

Edited by MarkCO

Nobody needs a welded lifter, until they do. There's a reason my 3-gun kit includes a pair of fingernail clippers and band-aides.

Picture of the Remington +2 cap that comes with the Versamax Comp.

yrvd.jpg

Edited by T Bacus

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you guys. So far it seem s versamax has an edge.. my friends shotgun (nvshooter) did feel great to cheek although I didn't care for all the rainbow stickers he added. I wish I could afford the versamax from Benny Hill. Great stuff but I'll have to do the add ons myself. If I could only sell me mossberg 930 jm.

No not yet. I have a local forum I use but I figured this is where fellow 3 gunners seem to congregate so id post it here. What's GT? Not familiar with that one

GlockTalk.

Oh ok thank you ! I'm gonna give this forum some more time then I will try those forums.

my friends shotgun (nvshooter) did feel great to cheek although I didn't care for all the rainbow stickers he added. .

Don't lie Lou you know those stickers live on your jm there required to id u as a rainbow tactical shooter. Lol

I'll buy your jm for 350 =). Honestly seems like they were selling like hot cakes everywhere I was looking a few months ago.

Well sold my mossberg to what sounds like a great home. And then I did something really naughty.. so naughty that I had to hide it from my wife.. for her safety.. I ordered my versamax. I wish it could go to Benny but that s to much to swing right now.

Now to accessorize. That carbon arms tube is tempting. What dizzy do indeed top hold eleven plus one

I haven't needed my 1301 lifter welded yet. I have been running it since August and it hasn't caught my thumb yet when doing weak hand or load 2 reloads. The 1301 might be new to the US market, but the Beretta gas system has been used here for a while. If anyone knows how to make a robust gas system for a shotgun, it's Beretta. I have an order for a KO right now and I look forward to getting it installed and using it soon. I do want to get together with Trapper or Kurt and see about changing my loading port. It isn't as smooth to load as my Salient M2.

Well sold my mossberg to what sounds like a great home. And then I did something really naughty.. so naughty that I had to hide it from my wife.. for her safety.. I ordered my versamax. I wish it could go to Benny but that s to much to swing right now.

Now to accessorize. That carbon arms tube is tempting. What dizzy do indeed top hold eleven plus one

Congrats! :cheers:

Congrats! :cheers:

Thanks ! I'm excited ! The last sentence in my last post was supposed to say what size extension do I need to get 11 in the tube ? Stupid Swype keyboard outsmart s me sometime

I can't help myself, I have to chime in. I do not like shotguns much. But I shot a 1301 at several matches last fall and It has helped me feel somewhat differently.

I like the 1301, better than my m2, better than the versamax tactical. It is cheaper, fits me better, has a longer forend, shoots slugs better, needs less work to make it competitive, has chrome lined chamber and bore, good aggressive stippling on stock, QD sling swivel built into the buttstock, low drag follower....I probably forgot something.

all u need is Shotgun $1K, a +6 Nordic tube, spring kit ($79), replace front bead with hi viz comp ($38, a mod choke tube($50. so about $1200 and you are ready to go shoot about anything

One more thing. why get a 21" barrel. Your tube is gonna be past your 24" barrel 4-5". If the OAL of the gun is gonna be that long, might as well get the longer barrel=sight radius for slugs....