Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got laid off last November after eight years.

Haven't had any luck yet.

Just got a call from the GM asking if I could come back to the old job.

First time anything like this happened to me, I'm not sure if I want to go back even though it is very tempting.

I'm looking for advice; I'm not sure how to even THINK about this situation.

Any comments are welcome!

Did the company just hit a bad patch and need to lay people off, or were you somehow singled out? If you were singled out and your prospects for other employment are looking good, I think it would be reasonable to talk with the GM in person before making a decision.

If I was in the position of the employer and went back after someone we had to lay off, that person would be of considerable value to me and would be someone I'd want to hold on to the next time layoffs come around, if possible. Layoffs do happen from time to time in some businesses.

Please understand that I have no idea about the seasonality of employment at this company, there are a lot of blanks to fill in. But if you had been there for eight years and apparently liked it, I think taking the job back would be a good idea. Apparently they missed you!

Chris

I would definitely talk to him. You may be in a position to negotiate for more money, vacation, benefits etc. It costs a company a heck of a lot more to hire and train a new employee than it does to return one to the payroll. A bird in the hand...

Take it and get back to work but don't stop looking for other opportunities.

When times are good and employees leave for better pay and better working conditions, the company complains that the employees no longer have any loyalty.

But when things slow down, management will not lose any sleep laying off folks. I agree that there are times that companies need to cut back staff to survive, but its not kosher for those same companies to expect the workers to give it their all knowing that they are expendable.

Just my opinion (and it will not change any time soon).

Bill

I got laid off last November after eight years.

Haven't had any luck yet.

Just got a call from the GM asking if I could come back to the old job.

First time anything like this happened to me, I'm not sure if I want to go back even though it is very tempting.

I'm looking for advice; I'm not sure how to even THINK about this situation.

Any comments are welcome!

GO BACK. You are far more employable if you are currently employed. Plus money will be coming in. It means a lot that your GM wants you back to a future employer. It shows that your a worthwhile employee that your employer wanted back as soon as he could afford it.

Thanks all - I think I just wanted some affirmation.

I especially appreciate being reminded

"company complains that the employees no longer have any loyalty...But when things slow down, management will not lose any sleep laying off folks"

And that I shouldn't stop looking for better opportunities.

I had become too complacent before the layoff and should have seen it coming.

If you are not really fired up about the old job, take it and search, search and search for something you really want. If you liked the old job, go back and work hard and advance, usually, at a certain level you will be pretty immune to layoffs in the future.

Why were you hesitant about not taking the job back?

I was asked to train others to do a specialized function that I excelled at.

Apparently when they felt there was enough coverage for that function they let me go.

I "trained" myself out of the job.

Now the GM (General Manager) has admitted it isn't working out (no one can do it as well as I did).

I'm wary of trusting them at this point.

By the way it is a large corporation, I'm 61 years old (USPSA since 1994) and this is the first corporate job I've ever had. I was a musician before, gigs disappeared and I got (needed!) great health insurance through them.

Pros and Cons!

Just to stand up for employers out there... I've had to lay people off and believe me I lost sleep over it. Business is business but that doesn't mean your boss is the cold hearted monster that many people assume...

Apparently when they felt there was enough coverage for that function they let me go.

Now the GM (General Manager) has admitted it isn't working out (no one can do it as well as I did).

I don't know if this would be "possible," but could you explain to the GM what you just said? And maybe get a read on hsi reply...

Larry,

in this economy, if you need work, grab it. As a former parttime artist, (make that newspaper photographer at an institution that paid a great hourly rate, but wouldn't hire you fulltime or give you benefits) I know that taking a job in the corporate world can be a challenging adjustment. Now that I've settled in though, I realize how good this gig is, much better than the newspaper ever was. It's also not guaranteed for life, but what is these days?

I don't know if this would be "possible," but could you explain to the GM what you just said? And maybe get a read on his reply...

I actually told him right out about my thought that I "trained myself out of a job" and that I was wary.

He was very upfront about apologizing for for the layoff but was very honest in saying he couldn't guarantee it not happening again; there are several layers of mangement above him to which he has to answer.

The offer so far includes immediate restoration of benefits, pay grade and vacation accrual (I was up to 3 weeks a year but they paid it all out in the severance package so I will start accumulating from zero) (there goes the spring/summer major matches!). That is all very positive.

An interesting phenomena related to success breeding success is that I've had two interviews scheduled for tomorrow after absolutely no responses in the last two months. I will pursue those since I haven't signed anything yet.

Edited by ParaOrdnanceLarry

I would take the job if I needed one.

But if they know they messed up I would ask for more money or paid time off. They laid you off and paid out your vacation. If going back isn't important I would hit them with that and try to settle for one or the other.

I would take the job if I needed one.

But if they know they messed up I would ask for more money or paid time off. They laid you off and paid out your vacation. If going back isn't important I would hit them with that and try to settle for one or the other.

BULLSEYE. If they need you now, go back but get as much out of them as you can. You might be surprised at what they will come up with.

tell them flat out, you need more money to make up for what you lost from being laid off.

And while you are working there, keep active looking for a job with a better company.

Business is business, loyalty results in being abused.

Edited by bountyhunter