Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 MGM Ironman

FWIW, 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, .260...the 6.5CM is the ticket for the .308 AR pattern rifles...except maybe for the .243. :) I shot the "Massive Penalty Phase" of Iron Man with the .223. You have to shoot from a downslopeing hill, from further away. Even switching guns to another .223 would have been significantly better. But a decent bolt gun is what I would choose next time.

Bolt gun? I specifically went with a semi for this. The targets are so close to each other it's nice to not have to manipulate anything and just bang away on the targets.

I remember Keith lugging some really nice and fancy AI .308 up there one year. The next year he was shooting a semi with the rest of us...

Especially with the wind often howling, walking them in with a bolt is just going to be way too slow. I dont think I've ever seen any top guy shooting a bolt on those targets, but maybe Mark will be the first one :)

Come now. You know I will never be a threat to win a match. But I do get some lucky squirrel nuts on a long range stage here and there. When I was playing with the .308 pattern ARs, I shot my bolt gun at 3 10" steel gongs at 600 yards. 15 rounds, 15 hits, one mag change. I was halfway through the 3rd mag when I got my 15th hit with the gasser (47 rounds). The bolt time was 30% faster than the auto time.

It is like I get on the semi-auto trigger and my sight pictures are not perfect, but what they hey, send it anyway. With the bolt gun, I become more patient. What is the line about knowing your limitations? :)

When I get the .308 AR-15 upper running, I might try again and do an upper swap on the clock. That will be a first. :roflol:

If it was a no wind - small target set up, I agree that the bolt action would be a more viable choice, but this is quite the opposite.

In your test above, I wonder what the outcome would have been if the targets were twice the size?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One year.. 2008? Dave W. shooting a suppressed AR in .223.. went one for one (as best as I recall) - it was amazing.. the targets weren't quite as far as they are now. but some real nice shooting

ETA - I think that was 10 shots total

Edited by D.Hayden

FWIW, 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, .260...the 6.5CM is the ticket for the .308 AR pattern rifles...except maybe for the .243. :) I shot the "Massive Penalty Phase" of Iron Man with the .223. You have to shoot from a downslopeing hill, from further away. Even switching guns to another .223 would have been significantly better. But a decent bolt gun is what I would choose next time.

Bolt gun? I specifically went with a semi for this. The targets are so close to each other it's nice to not have to manipulate anything and just bang away on the targets.

I remember Keith lugging some really nice and fancy AI .308 up there one year. The next year he was shooting a semi with the rest of us...

Especially with the wind often howling, walking them in with a bolt is just going to be way too slow. I dont think I've ever seen any top guy shooting a bolt on those targets, but maybe Mark will be the first one :)

Come now. You know I will never be a threat to win a match. But I do get some lucky squirrel nuts on a long range stage here and there. When I was playing with the .308 pattern ARs, I shot my bolt gun at 3 10" steel gongs at 600 yards. 15 rounds, 15 hits, one mag change. I was halfway through the 3rd mag when I got my 15th hit with the gasser (47 rounds). The bolt time was 30% faster than the auto time.

It is like I get on the semi-auto trigger and my sight pictures are not perfect, but what they hey, send it anyway. With the bolt gun, I become more patient. What is the line about knowing your limitations? :)

When I get the .308 AR-15 upper running, I might try again and do an upper swap on the clock. That will be a first. :roflol:

If it was a no wind - small target set up, I agree that the bolt action would be a more viable choice, but this is quite the opposite.

In your test above, I wonder what the outcome would have been if the targets were twice the size?

If it was easy, even Travis could do it. :D

I love how long range bonus is such a small part of the match but it gets talked about the most. Even people back home who don't go, when they ask me questions, majority are about the long range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

the option to camp out at the range and have a larger ammo can as a cashe point is still on the table if you're interested.

adios,

tg

30 cal ammo can for troopers is still a go? Webpage still says tall 50 cal can. Prepping gear now so I want to double check.

The old rule had troopers using a double 50 cal can that was actually a mortar shell can. If you can't find an A2 ammo can then take the measurements and a tape measure with you when you shop. There's a 556 can that is close to the right dimensions.

Nothin like packing around close to 1000 rounds and all your guns and snacks for 3 days.

The rules on the MGM Targets site says 7"x12"x9" or less than 756 cu in for this years match. I don't see any rule that allows a larger can for camping at the range so it appears to be the only size allowed at this point. The rule also says tall but the dimensions are not for a tall can.

There was one ammo can that said 556 on it that looked about the right size at the local surplus store but I didn't have a tape so I can't say for sure. Midway has A2 cans right now for sale if you can't find any locally.

Edited by goat68

Sorry for the slow response.

There won't be any provision for camping out at the range and using a larger ammo can. It was another one of my failed attempts at humor.

We're using the smaller ammo cans like we used early on. This....7"x12"x9" or less than 756 cu

adios

Travis thanks for the clarification. Smaller ammo can will make the match more challenging and hopefully more fun.

Pack will be heavier for sure.

Maybe it's time to start working out.

NAAAH!!!!

Why start now. Huff and puff at the match is always sweet.

Stupid dummy was getting manageable then you needed to supersize him.

• 2 weeks later...

500 rifle 500 pistol 250 shot 100 slugs 20 buck 25 long range gun unless you are doing trooper. This should cover most people. If you miss a lot bring more.

edited per info from TG.

Edited by Stlhead

I would really like to see the stages

I'm in trooper and stage layout will help me decide on bringing a PCC or bolt gun. I was waiting to buy ammo

Getting ammo shipped to me and then ship to the hotel, is going to be cutting it close on time

From email today:

Sorry for the delay on this. We'll be posting the stage "drawrings" up on the Ironman website soon. I'll try to get them up on enos shortly as well. Here is the round count...
Rifle - 327
Pistol - 298
Shotgun - 171
Slug - 44
Bonus rifle - 12

Couple of notes....Shot size...you've all done a great job of gaming the MGM Spinners. Well played!!! ;) So this year, (because we're tired of setting spinners back up after one shot) there is a max shot size of 6 and a max speed of 1350FPS. If you've got a shotgun that needs something bigger and faster than that to make your gun work, let me know and I'll see what we can work out. If you contact me, about this, plan on running that shot for the entire match...just sayin'. The long and short of it is, if you knock the target over or it has to be reset, you'll receive a 60 second penalty.
Slugs....there are only 44 required, but some of them are spinners. Might want to bring some extras.

Zip line...the Zip line is going to be a sidematch this year everyone will have a chance to run it during the match, but it won't count towards your match score. PWS is sponsoring the stage for both match and will have cool prizes for the winners...I just dont know what they are yet. If you want to run it more than once, it's going to be $10/ride with the proceeds going to the MGM Junior camps.

Bonus Targets...This year we're going to have bonus targets on stage 3 and stage 7. They'll be roughly the same distances as last year. Sizes and distances listed below. The difference is this year they're going to be worth 10 seconds and you can only get 3 hits at each distance for a total of 90 seconds on stage 3 and 30 seconds on stage 7.
Stage 3
MGM BCC Zone at 500y
20" square at 680
40" square at 880
Stage 7 - 10" MGM Flash target at 550

We'll be running a "standards" type stage on stage 4a again this year. However, there won't be penalties for misses or targets not engaged. You'll get points for all the targets you hit and there will be a part time. The second string will be support side only and all the points will be double.

Admin notes:
If you hit a prop with any round, or a steel target with a rifle or slug that wasn't intended to be shot with one of those two things, you'll only receive one 100 second penalty and one $50 donation to the MGM junior camp per stage.
If you discard a gun in a drop box and it isn't on safe or completely empty, you'll receive a penalty. I think it was 20 seconds, but it might be 30. If you discard it in the box and it falls out, you'll be DQ'd. Falls out is defined as any portion of the gun touching the ground outside of the box. This means magazine, scope, vertical fore-grip, etc. If it breaks the 180, this is also a DQ offense.

I think that's about it for now. If you've got any questions, please contact Eryk. I've cc'd him on this e mail. Looking forward to a great match!!
adios,
tg

Couple of notes....Shot size...you've all done a great job of gaming the MGM Spinners. Well played!!! ;) So this year, (because we're tired of setting spinners back up after one shot) there is a max shot size of 6 and a max speed of 1350FPS.

Bummers

I would really like to see the stages

I'm in trooper and stage layout will help me decide on bringing a PCC or bolt gun. I was waiting to buy ammo

Getting ammo shipped to me and then ship to the hotel, is going to be cutting it close on time

Bring both is always the correct answer.