Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G37 for Spec Ops?

AH6IP

Just read and article in Spec Ops Technology (SOTECH), a PUBLIC periodical, that says they are looking at the G37 real hard. Some of their requirements are- the pistol must have a light rail (got one), be reliable (no brainer there), and size must fit everyone (bingo). They were very impressed with the size, and the fact that parts are interchangable with other Glocks (frame, trigger, etc,etc). Caliber was up in the air, but it sounds like they are leaning towards a .45. :ph34r:

Nope-

I am re-reading the article again as I write. Of course, they are looking at other blasters, but they are impressed with the gun AND the caliber.

BTW-this is a new article, just out.

Just found out Glock will be making G23 and G27 sized pistols in .45 GAP. Also some sort of .223 carbine. This was from a guy who just went through a Glock Armorer's course. The G23 size interests me since I carry a G23 daily.

Neal in AZ

be reliable (no brainer there),

Don't be so sure. I just got back from a GSSF match. The *only* guns I saw having problems? G37.

It is half baked. Maybe if they put it back in the oven it will come out without a fat slide.

Paul

One G37 had two, countem two, stovepipes - factory winchester I believe.

Another 37 had a barrel locked up so tight the factory armorer banged on it for the better part of an hour and couldn't get it taken down. Not sure on the ammo there.

Paul

It was probably a magazine problem. When the G37 came out(and there are still many with the older mags on showroom floors at dealers throughout the U.S.), they had magazine/follower problems. Glock is well aware, and if you send them the older mags, they will send you new ones, well worth the postal to Smyrna, Ga. The new mag with the new followers are much, much better and from what I've seen, 100% reliable.

It is half baked. Maybe if they put it back in the oven it will come out without a fat slide.

It's already baked. The G17-size slide was the "half baked" idea. Prototypes had a G17-sized slide. Eventually Glock realized there was simply no way to have a gun with a high level of feed reliability when you pop a G17-sized slide with .45 ACP-level recoil. They could have tried to compensate by going to a really heavy recoil spring but that would have made the gun difficult to operate. The answer was to put more weight into the slide by making it bigger.

I have shot the G37 and like it. But they have got to do something about those mags. I did not have any reliabilty problems. The problem was getting 10 rounds in the mags. After loading several at a GSSF match, my thumb was wore out. Some thought it was funny until they tried it. With the current design, it is a good 8 round mag. Just my .02 worth.

I have shot the G37 Gap and personally think it isn't all that big of a deal. Yes it allows the use of a 45 cal bullet in a grip that someone with less than Shaq hands can hang on to. But it cuts magazine capacity with it's hard to load mags and is a non-common caliber. And the completely stock one I shot didn't run 100% with factory ammo either. Accuracy was par for a Glock.

I would just as soon carry a G30 if I wanted a 45 cal hole. And if I wanted the standard full-size grip, I would take the 357 Sig, 40 S&W, or 9mm versions before the GAP.

Maybe these agencies should try to train for more accurate shooters with the common and plentiful calibers already proven than jumping on the latest fad. Remember the FBI and the S&W 1076 10mm?

I would have to say that these "agencies" have the best shooters in the world, so training is not the issue. They want to go back to a bigger (bigger is better?) bullet it sounds like. And even though we all love the 1911, it just doesn't pass their torture test, ie, dragging through the mud, sand, etc,etc.

BTW-as far as loading the mags, adding an extended base pad is the ticket. Brownells has an Arredondo +3 base pad that works perfectly, making loading a breeze. Functions fine with the stock spring. They work fine with the +5 base pads too.

And if I wanted the standard full-size grip, I would take the 357 Sig, 40 S&W, or 9mm versions before the GAP.

Maybe these agencies should try to train for more accurate shooters with the common and plentiful calibers already proven than jumping on the latest fad. Remember the FBI and the S&W 1076 10mm?

When they say "Special Ops" I believe they are talking about military. Not civilian LE.

They have to use FMJ. They can't use the HP's that make the 9mm and .40 good or equal options when compared to the .45.

I think you might be surprised - while spec ops units undoubtably practice much more, and are probably as a group the best shooters in the military, they still get trained on occasion by........ IPSC shooters.

No, I wouldn't be surprised. I spent 10 years on active duty in the United States Army, three of those as an Airborne paratrooper. I've also discussed the matter of the average firearms skill level you can expect from spec ops troops with Greg Hamilton, head man at InSights Training Center, former Ranger and Green Beret, and firearms instructor for, among other people, spec ops folks.