Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax slug POI

Longshot83

I have a versamax tactical that I use for 3 gun, I have found that it consistently shoots slugs 6-8" to the right at 50 yards. Regardless of brand or choke used, I had a bad match because of the slug accuracy last month and I am determined to correct it. I order the versatube from carbon arms and installed it. This shrunk the group size but did not correct it being off to the right. This morning while at the range looking down the receiver with the gun in a rest I noticed that the barrel it not perfectly inline with the receiver, the barrel tappers off to the right. I called Remington but they want me to send it in to be looked at,and since this is my only shotgun I cant be with out it for long with a match coming up in two weeks and getting ready for regionals in Las Vegas in May. I thought I had read a post on here about someone that got remington to send them a new barrel for a similar issue, but I cannot seem to find it now. Has anyone had luck with getting remington to send them a barrel or any other recommendations on how to correct this? Thank you.

Remington probably will not send a new barrel out. They did that in the beginning, but when it was my turn I had to send the whole gun in. Sounds like that is their policy now having read other cases and talking to people.

I am planning to put an XS into mine as well, even though it shoots much better now.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187449

Edited by bishop414

Thanks for the input. I must have got ahold of the right person because they agreed to send me a new barrel and one I have it I can send the original back.

I checked the reciver to make sure the face was square with the bolt race and it is. I the used a laser line perfectly center with the reciver and ran it down the barrel. You can see it in the attached picture, the laser just touches the left side of the front bead. I then found that the barrel has some play side to side in the receiver. If I holt it pushed to the left and tighten it down it stays in line with the receiver. I don't know if it will stay like this after a few rounds. Hopefully the new barrel corrects it. If not it will get the xs rear sight installed.

Thank you.

post-48716-0-25299400-1390007960_thumb.j

I actually sent my VM back almost two weeks ago because it was shooting about 5" to the right at 50yds and the top of my rib was machined at an angle the full length of the barrel. I suspect that is what you are saying too. Look at where the rib matches up to the barrel, mine matched up right on, but the flat on the top of the receiver isn't parallel with the top of the vent rib.... its not even close(I posted a photo in post on this site a few weeks ago). I do admit to being picky. :mellow:

In all honesty, I will be a little surprised if the replace my barrel. And if they do replace it, I suspect that the new barrel will also be machined at an angle. The only two other VM tacticals that I have seen were milled at an angle too(I discovered this after I sent mine off). I am just ready to have my gun back and shoot the thing. I'm not happy about the top of the rib being slanted, but I will learn to overlook it.

The VM notoriously shoots to the right. I have had a few hit dead on but not many. We usually end up installing an XS rear sight. Sometimes removing the barrel clamp helps quite abit. I run my personal VM without the clamp. It shoot center and 2" high at 50 yds.

One thing to look for is that Remington seems to very inconsistently apply the front sight. Mine was applied to the far right of the rib in the front. I peeled the sight off, reapplied it dead center, didn't tighten the mag tube nut (if you have a carbon arms extension, this isn't an issue) and am now hitting with 1-2" POA to POI at 5 off a bench rest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My VMax initially shot 18" to the right and 16" high at 50yds completely missing an IPSC target so I put up a 4X4 sheet of cardboard. Three more slugs and I was less than impressed with my new VMax. I called Remington and after listening to the phone tree I hit "3" (I think) for "parts". I told the guy who answered that the phone tree options did not have what I wanted. He said "What were you looking for." My reply was "The pissed off customer line." After explaining my problem to him he asked for the serial # and put me on hold. When he came back he asked for my address. Three days later I had a new barrel. No other questions were asked.

By the way moving the rear sight .005" on a 21" gun will move the POI 2" at 50yds........on my gun anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One thing to mention is that shotgun triggers for the most part suck. People flinch a lot usually when shooting shotguns and the heavy triggers also aid in it pulling to the right. Getting a rear sight and a trigger job may be your answer.

I've sent barrels out for cryo treatment in the past. Works like a charm and you don't have to bend them or wack them against a tree. I would also recommend shooting slugs from a rest instead of offhand or leaning on a benchtop. This way you remove the majority of human error from the equation. Trigger job is a good start though after you've patterned.

-H.Owens

You want to shoot slugs from a variety of holds (including prone if you go to RM3G) because that is what you will do in matches. Benched, on a wall and offhand will affect the POI on a reduced recoil slug from a shotgun. You should be able to see the differences easily.

Pull the extension and put the cap back on and shoot some groups. For most VMs, that will cut the group sizes considerably, and illustrate what the VersaTube will provide you as well.

When testing I do use a rest so I can take as much of me out of the equation as possible. Also this does have the VersaTube from carbon arms already installed. It did held with the consistency of the groups but never did have large change on its POI.

The rear sight did allow me to correct for the slugs being off to the right, I did have to move it a considerable amount before I got the wind-age correct. I am happy with my ability to hit slug targets now in competitions, but it would be nice if it was so far off. Interestingly I went out and patterned all my chokes from 10-25 yards and at around 15 yards it appears the shot patterns slightly to the right as well.

I would be interested in the cyro treatment if that really does help, i have an extra barrel for it here and they both shoot almost identical POI.

I had problems shooting slugs with my Versamax. Some of it was the gun, some of it was me.

I called Pendergraft Gun Works in NC who I met through Garrett Howell at the Tarheel 3 Gun match, and had him install a STI adjustable rear sight (BOMAR style) into my vent rib - then zeroed the shotgun for slugs at 50 yards.

Since I did that last year, slug shooting is easy because I took all of the guesswork out of it.