Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Area Match

waterboy

Hey Everyone,

I will be shooting my first Area match this year with my revo (Area 5). Up until now I have only shot local matches and have some questions.

Round count says 300 min. I know I should bring more but how much more?

As for spare parts what do you guys keep in your range bags?

Anything else you would recommend to bring? The match is 5 hours away from home so I don't want to forget anything. I am very excited and a little nervous.

Thank you for any advice,

Tom

At least an extra hundred rounds would be a good idea. Don't worry too much about parts. I will have stuff with me, including an extra gun. Just make sure your primers are well-seated, just in case.

Edited by Carmoney

In general, if you don't have a Carmoney around to help you out :)

- Cleaning stuff

- Squib rod

- Drivers for your grip and sideplate

- Mooner/demooner obviously

- Backup gun if you've got one

- Backup holster if yours is temperamental

- Food, water, coffee if you like it, something to write with.

- Batteries for anything and everything.

- Sharpie, duct tape, rain gear, clean socks

- Carton of Marlboros for "appeals"

As for ammo, I'd probably have 500 rounds in my trunk just 'cause it's so easy to do. If you have to fly, the logistics get annoying. I'm not going to tote all the extra around with me from stage to stage, though. .45 moons are also super cheap, so I tend to moon up as many as I think I need for the day well in advance, and throw them in a couple of dry-boxes. I have at least 50 of them. .38, much less so.

I find it helpful to check my packing list right before I leave.

Have you identified anything in or about your gun that can hang you up at the end of a club match? For me, I find that the insides of my chambers get kind of gross, so if I'm shooting more than 6 stages without being able to sit at a cleaning mat, I'll use a dry bore mop to knock out the chunks. I'll also try to give the front of my cylinder a token wipedown to avoid binding, and sometimes even flick the crud off my ratchet with some Q-tips if it gets fouled enough to make the trigger feel sloppy. If anything it makes me feel better. Most people also don't let their guns get as filthy as I do.

Whatever number of rounds are required I will usually bring 50% more. So far I have ended up lugging a good bit of the excess back home but have yet to regret having too much ammo.

Plus you'll have some ammo ready for your next big match. I'm planning to take 500 rounds with me to the Alabama sectional and Area 6 matches this year. The round count hasn't been announced yet so I may bump it up a little. Alabama is 10 stages and Area 6 is 12, I believe.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Cleaning the cylinder out is a good idea because mine gets kinda gunked up. Hopefully switching to Montana Golds instead of lead will keep everything a little cleaner too.

I will be bringing 500 rounds of ammo because thats all the 38 short colt brass I have at the moment. Planning on shooting my 627.

343- Is the blue lock tite alright or should I dap some red on the screws?

Spare Revo if possible, parts if not (FP & Spring, Longer Strain Screw (or primer cup as a spacer)) most anything else that breaks just isn't easily repairable. Though a bud at last years Nats had his Elevation Screw strip out, luckily I had one.

Ammo, I go overboard cause I don't want to worry at a match. 50%+ over round count with LOADED Moon Clips. If you're shooting 6 major, remember sometimes it's 4 reload so it gets a bit higher. I try to never reuse a moon clip from a match at that match.

Total Ammo 2x+ round count, never know when the re-shoot bug will bite. At Memphis one year I had to re-shoot 2 long field courses. And did better each time :cheers: .

Thanks everyone for the tips. Cleaning the cylinder out is a good idea because mine gets kinda gunked up. Hopefully switching to Montana Golds instead of lead will keep everything a little cleaner too.

I will be bringing 500 rounds of ammo because thats all the 38 short colt brass I have at the moment. Planning on shooting my 627.

343- Is the blue lock tite alright or should I dap some red on the screws?

Blue loctite is what you want.

Be sure to thoroughly chrono your ammo--you don't want to go sub-minor.

Like Pskys2 said I always bring an extra firing pin and spring, usually I also have a chamber and toothbrush to clean under the star. Usually I try to look over everything pretty close at home to make sure everything is tight and try each loaded moon clip in the cylinder. I usually lay everything out downstairs the day before. Also bring protein bars and water to keep hydrated and your blood sugar up.

It's really nice to have someone like Carmoney in case of a break down. We always had Warren Moore (Toolguy) to depend on. Many times Warren would get out the red tool kit and fix whatever. Guys like that are invaluable in a match and I think should shoot for free.

Edited by toothguy

"Be sure to thoroughly chrono your ammo--you don't want to go sub-minor." Believe it on this, no fun to go and not have your score count. Get two or more chronos and check a large sample, use the slowest three rounds, not the average, to calculate PF.

Paul

The sub minor is what I'm worried about. I'm using wst powder for the short colts and still have some testing to do. Being its cold outside right now I don't want to go off of the latest chrono results when temps will be different in June.

Thanks again everyone for the tips.

Tom

The sub minor is what I'm worried about. I'm using wst powder for the short colts and still have some testing to do. Being its cold outside right now I don't want to go off of the latest chrono results when temps will be different in June.

Tom

I tried wst last summer/fall and in my 38's and 45's it's reverse temp sensitive. Went back to Clays and all seems well.

Tom

I tried wst last summer/fall and in my 38's and 45's it's reverse temp sensitive. Went back to Clays and all seems well.

So if I read that right you were getting higher velocity when it was colder? How much did it tend to vary? I'm using the Montana Gold 142 gr FMJ. Is there a better powder to use with these bullets?

Tom

So if I read that right you were getting higher velocity when it was colder? How much did it tend to vary? I'm using the Montana Gold 142 gr FMJ. Is there a better powder to use with these bullets?

From reading some of the other posts it looks like Titegroup, Clays and n320 seem to work well. I have always liked 231 but I think I will switch to Clays next summer because 231 leads to sticky chambers. I have been shooting WST for Bianchi which works very well because the big matches are in the early spring or fall when temps are usually in the 50's to 60's (WST is reverse temp sensitive, colder temp = more velocity).

Tom

Yes. Seems like it's about 30-50 f/s between 40 deg and 90+deg. Remember that as the temps fall, the sun doesn't warm things up where as in the summer temps at 90 deg and sitting in the sun will heat up the ammo over the ambient.

Toothguy's right on the powders. I'd like to get some of those MG's and try them with Clays.