Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powders for 9mm 125gr lead and Bayou (IDPA)

gregw72

I have a G34 and KKM barrel and have been playing with Missouri Bullets 9 Cone (125gr bullets). I also have some 125 Bayou's on the way. I tried Win 231/HP-38 and WST with the MBC 9 Cone. The Win 231 was really snappy and did not have as good of groups as the WST. Plus, the Win 231 seemed to lead a little bit more. However, I know that Hodgdon does not recommend using WST for 9mm, so I am wondering what you guys are using to achieve 1000 fps+ and good accuracy? Seen lots of posts where folks suggest WSF and VV N320... and post where folks say lead and Tite Group don't mix too well. I'm sure this has been covered before and I have found lots of posts about it, but they were mostly for USPSA and IPSC where they are pushing slugs a lot harder. Any advice is appreciated. If it weren't for the stupid powder shortage, I would just go buy a few powders and try them out. Now I need a clear direction and need to get on the "notify me when in stock" llsts.

• 2 weeks later...

I use titegroup with 125g bayou 9mm out of a xdm 5.25. What you read about titegroup and lead bullets is true in my experience but bayou coated bullets a whole different thing. I load 3.2g of titegroup at 1.160 for a steel load they run about 960fps and very accurate and just as clean as jacketed bullets with tg.

I've been pushing 124gr Bayous with 4.35 grains of WST without any problems... Loaded to 1.14 OAL they give me about 130 PF out of a CZ-75 Shadow (5" Barrel). No smoke or leading.

Other than that, VV N320 if you can find it.

Have a look at this. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp

W231 is similar to VVN320. both quite a fast burning powder (shotgun powder really).

WSF is somewhere between N330 and N340. N340 is a very popular 9mm powder and is around one of the slower powders you'd use in a 9mm load.

In that chart (imho) you would be ok to chose from the 3 lines that begin AP50, AS50, AP70 and the fourth line under AP70 (the line with Herco as the first powder in the line).

Anything in those 4 lines will be 9mm suitable. it just depends on personal preference from there. basically as you go down in lines the powders get slower burning and your required charge weight will go up a little.

Thanks for all the replies. I tried the Bayou 124s over WST and never could get them to group as well as lead 124s. Loved the lack of smoke and easy cleanup, but the groups were not as good and the chrono showed a pretty big spread (about 40 fps with the average around 1060 fps). When using my Dillion, I noted that I was having problems getting the same OAL each time. Seating die was clean and I was using a light taper crimp. Montana Gold bullets that I just loaded were money everytime for OAL. I think the thickness of the coating much vary a bit. I now have some Berry's plated bullets, which are supposed to be loaded much like lead, so we'll see. Really wish I could get my hands on some WSF or N320. I have Clays, Win231 and WST at my disposal. American Select... have not seen that one on the shelves... but then again, what I have I seen on the shelves in the past few years since Obama got re-elected LOL.

I have ran WSF 4.9 grains with a 124 Berry Plated FP bullet and liked it very well. In both my Glock 17 and 26 this was the load to use in for everyday shooting. I did not have a chrono then so no data or power factor info.

I was told to try the Berry 147 RN and I have never looked back. I ran out so now I'm shooting BBI 147 moly coated bullets with 4.1 grains of WSF in my KKM barrel with great groups and no snappy recoil.

Be Safe, Del

I ran WW231 and HP-38 (same powder) for a long time. 3.6 gn 1.125 oal with no problem, especially with coated bullets. No leading.

The real problem is pushing that 124 gn bullet at 1000+ fps.

Bayou bullets, while coated are not jacketed. Try to stay below that 1000 fps threshold.

Here's my load data, but I've had good luck with both Titegroup and Clays. It's not much but you're welcome to it...

Specifically 3.5gr of Clays JUST gets me to power factor on a warm day.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aki2Hm6gWcoLdFNfRDdXRTVGeTFxbjgzOHJTckgxZWc&usp=sharing

Edited by toddje

• 1 month later...

I use Bayou 147s FP with IMR PB 3.2, Bullseye 3.0 and Silhouette 4.2 all at 1.14 oal. PB and Bullseye are 132 PF and silhouette is 130PF. All out of a Gen4 34 with stock barrel. All grouped well from a rest.

My barrel looks fine after 3000 rounds. I clean on average after 400-500 rounds.

I'm a big fan of the Bayous and I am sure any of the coated that use the same coating (J&M or something is the coating) are good as well.. No smoke and essentially as cheap as lead.

WSF for any 9mm up to 147

Nice push instead of snap but quick enough to make the slide work nicely.

Also for the IDPA dark (flash light ) stages usually NO muzzle flash to deal with

Hodgdon's website is a great place to start with load info and your chronograph will tell you when you've reached your PF

I load to 130 up 140 because the gun runs better there and my splits on drills is quicker with the 140 load than the 130 load. But that is up to the person holding the pistol

Good fortune