Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Revo Shooters

Gregg K

At a match this weekend I had a couple of people that shoot USPSA (not Revo) ask be about 8 shot revolvers. They saw the new rule change allowing 8 shooters and are in the process of buying an 8 shot so that they can shoot revolver in USPSA. These guys own 6 shooters and have never shot USPSA in Revolver division. Because of the rule change allowing 8 shooters they are now willing to not only give revolver a try but also purchase a gun to do so. I know that we figured some ICORE guys would cross over since they already own a gun but I did not expect that it would make someone go buy a gun that they did not already own to shoot revolver for the first time. I am wondering if these guys are a rare one off due to be infected by watching me have fun with a revolver or if this mind set will grow among other shooters that previously did not shoot revolver. These guys have read about the 929 coming out and did not really care about what 8 shooter they got 629 or 627. They were actually planing on getting 627's. I am still undecided about the whole 8 shooter in USPSA deal but if it gets us some new guns and new shooters to grow Revo I'll have to call it a good thing in the end. :cheers:

At a match this weekend I had a couple of people that shoot USPSA (not Revo) ask be about 8 shot revolvers. They saw the new rule change allowing 8 shooters and are in the process of buying an 8 shot so that they can shoot revolver in USPSA. These guys own 6 shooters and have never shot USPSA in Revolver division. Because of the rule change allowing 8 shooters they are now willing to not only give revolver a try but also purchase a gun to do so. I know that we figured some ICORE guys would cross over since they already own a gun but I did not expect that it would make someone go buy a gun that they did not already own to shoot revolver for the first time. I am wondering if these guys are a rare one off due to be infected by watching me have fun with a revolver or if this mind set will grow among other shooters that previously did not shoot revolver. These guys have read about the 929 coming out and did not really care about what 8 shooter they got 629 or 627. They were actually planing on getting 627's. I am still undecided about the whole 8 shooter in USPSA deal but if it gets us some new guns and new shooters to grow Revo I'll have to call it a good thing in the end. :cheers:

Gregg, this is great news. Glad to hear this. I think 8 shots in an 8 shot game is fun and hope others see its value as well. I love the rule change and look forward to ditching L10.

I just joined USPSA, not even classified yet. I come from a revolver background. My first EDC was a 629 Smith& Wesson. I live rural and farm and also teach cch classes, reloading, etc.

I think an 8 shot 357 is one of the best all around handguns extant. I saw an interview the Jerry Miculek and he said an 8 shot 357 would be his choice for ONE handgun. I would have to agree. PTL we don't have to have ONE. I bought 625 because it has all the power I have found necessary for deer, coyote, black bear. I carry a revolver just because.

If the rule change had come down before I bought the 625, I would have bought a 627, 5" inch. I have taken all my deer, etc. with a 44 mag loaded to about 45 super levels, but I have the upmost confidence in a 158 grain bullet at real magnum velocities from the 357. My small game gun right now is a 6" model 14. I use it to shoot minor revolver.

I am a little funny. IDPA would suit me better, I guess. I just don't have any use for a (hand)gun I can't carry. If I was a racer, I wouldn't race anything I couldn't drive to the track.

Anyhow, to a practical kind of guy like me an 8 shot N frame revolver makes a lot of sense. Why not compete with it?

I was shooting L-10 when I heard about the rule change. Had some interest in revolver before, but didn't want a .45. I searched out a 627, and have now shot 5 matches with it and am having a great time. I always liked the challenge that L-10 gave me, this is as much or more of a challenge. Now, if I can just learn to count to 8...... :closedeyes:

These guys have read about the 929 coming out and did not really care about what 8 shooter they got 629 or 627. They were actually planing on getting 627's. I am still undecided about the whole 8 shooter in USPSA deal but if it gets us some new guns and new shooters to grow Revo I'll have to call it a good thing in the end. :cheers:

Great News: I have a 627 for sale in the classifieds on BENOS.

From all the buzz, I'm really getting the feeling that the rule change is indeed going to add a significant number of shooters to Revolver Division.

Awesome! :cheers:

What did they change?

What did they change?

They made it legal to use an 8 shot revolver, and fire all 8 rounds. All 8 shooters are scored minor which they hope will balance out the 2 extra shot advantage over the 6 shooters which can score major if they make chrono. The rule change starts Feb 1.

Edited by Gregg K

I don't think this change will bring that many new shooters to revolver division. I am no expert on revo div as I have shot it maybe 3-4 times (fairly slowly) with what I had which was a service .357 type revolver, but I can still see that it turned from a 1 gun division (625 5") to a 2 gun division (929, which I think will obsolete the 627 in uspsa). I think if people really want a lot of new revolver shooters it should cater to what most people have, a 6 shot, non moonclipped .357. maybe this can be done by scoring 6 shooters with speedloaders as major regardless of real power factor, but I don't know enough to say.

A person can shoot speedloaders and do well with them. I know a guy who all but made master shooting minor with speedloaders. He switched to moonclips and made master in minor.

In light of the hoopla and debate that had precipitated from the rules change and the proposed rules change to allow 8 shots, I believe a little stabilization of the equipment rules is in order. Any further adjustments will just muddy the waters further and not allow true evaluation of the major change that is little 8 vs. BIG 6.

I think the point of this thread is not to rehash the whole debate, but to point out that there already seems to be some tangible positive movement created by the rule change being implemented.

Two guys thinking about starting is "tangible positive movement"?

I was cornered at the match this weekend by someone I've never seen with a revolver. He wanted to know if my shop could get him a 929 so he can shoot revo division.

Well, I have already shot my 627 several times in USPSA, but I had to shoot in Limited 10. While it was fun to compete against limited 10 with a minor revolver, it will be much more fun to shoot against a whole division of 8-shot revolvers all being scored the same! Now I need to find out if S&W is planning to submit 929s to the CA Roster so we can buy them.

Now I need to find out if S&W is planning to submit 929s to the CA Roster so we can buy them.

Norcal S&W rep said yes at the Big Rock show. There is always single action exemption before it hits the list if need be. No one is keeping any out of California!

Well, I have already shot my 627 several times in USPSA, but I had to shoot in Limited 10. While it was fun to compete against limited 10 with a minor revolver, it will be much more fun to shoot against a whole division of 8-shot revolvers all being scored the same! Now I need to find out if S&W is planning to submit 929s to the CA Roster so we can buy them.

Now I need to find out if S&W is planning to submit 929s to the CA Roster so we can buy them.

Norcal S&W rep said yes at the Big Rock show. There is always single action exemption before it hits the list if need be. No one is keeping any out of California!

With the microstamping taking effect out there it might be that revos are the only thing you guys will get. Now will there be any left for the rest of us?

You can still do what is the SSE equivalent for revolvers and get them in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia even if they are off roster. You will just need to find and FFL/gunsmith willing to do the conversion to single action for the DROS. If what Ruger and S&W said at the SHOT show they have no intentions to submit new pistols for the roster, and are letting current ones fall off the list.

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a
single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity
with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets
any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or
relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of
Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at
least 71/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and
barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at
least 71/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and