Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 vs 929

DavidSnethkamp

:)) Toys are good.

Currently the we have the same number of wheel guns as revos (many more than the 3)

The only solution I can see is to buy another revo or get rid of a bottom feeder.

I can not think of anything better then losing a match because there were so many good revo shooters there.

First of one makes it hard to keep pushing.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta admit I'm torn. 929 or 627 Pro? I just got my hands on 2K Starline SC brass. On the other hand I also have a decent amount of 9mm ammo loaded and ready, plus 9mm brass is everywhere and cheap.

Just to give you guys an illustration of my luck, I had just got a like brand spanking new 5" 625-4 and got it all set up and the new rule comes along. Now I'll scrounge, hunt, shop and get one of the above models. Then just hide and watch, Ruger will start making an 8 shot Super Redhawk in 9mm. I garawntee. Mark it down. Then I'll have another revo to buy.

Gotta admit I'm torn. 929 or 627 Pro? I just got my hands on 2K Starline SC brass. On the other hand I also have a decent amount of 9mm ammo loaded and ready, plus 9mm brass is everywhere and cheap.

Just to give you guys an illustration of my luck, I had just got a like brand spanking new 5" 625-4 and got it all set up and the new rule comes along. Now I'll scrounge, hunt, shop and get one of the above models. Then just hide and watch, Ruger will start making an 8 shot Super Redhawk in 9mm. I garawntee. Mark it down. Then I'll have another revo to buy.

Your luck is better than mine. I had to scrounge around, and sold some stuff to get a used 625. Then the 8 shot rule passed before my background check cleared. (90 day check at that time) Late summer I sarted saving/selling things, and picked up a new 627 a few months back and now this 929 is annouced. I'm sticking with the 627, at least until I see a reason to upgrade.

Your luck is better than mine. I had to scrounge around, and sold some stuff to get a used 625. Then the 8 shot rule passed before my background check cleared. (90 day check at that time) Late summer I sarted saving/selling things, and picked up a new 627 a few months back and now this 929 is annouced. I'm sticking with the 627, at least until I see a reason to upgrade.

If I were already setup for the 627, I'd stick with it too. Just don't see a reason to switch.

As for me I thought that I would never be able to shoot the N Frame as well as I want to be able to and I'm able to open the cylinder and eject far faster with my GP100. I haven't put a timer to it yet but I'm thinking I'm empty in roughly half the time with the Ruger. So I just decided to setup my 6" L frame to shoot for now and was thinking about converting the GP100 to 10mm/.40 down the road. But lately I've had a couple of decent performances (for me) with my 625 so maybe I can actually get my skills up to perform fairly well with the N Frame. I know the L and K frames are far more comfortable and better feeling in the hand. So I really don't know what the heck to do other than maybe borrow a 627 for a match and compare. I still really don't like the 625, it's just a tank of a gun and I like the cylinder release on the Ruger far far better, so I'm still "stuck" somewhat on a decision. Either 8 shot S&W might be just fine, but in my perfect world an 8 shot Ruger would be just fabulous. Whatever gun it is, on a field course an 8 shot is going to be mandatory to hang with anybody, so I may as well suck it up and do it.

Ok, I admit, my idea of accuracy may differ from most. The 9 mm load I'm now shooting in my .38 supers is based on the bullets I have at hand. They shoot better than anything I have seen or been able to put together in SC brass. Period. they are not the best I have ever used.

The best loads I had developed were those I shot in the 38 super at the IRC. I'm not about to get into internet group claiming, just understand that I in practice several times over shot all X's on the IRC standards with that gun and load. I can never get the SC with any load with any of the barrels in any of my guns, including my ppc revolvers with shortened cylinders to shoot anywhere near as good as that gun shoots with that load. And my friends, I've tried. Same loads in special brass shoot dramatically better. BTW, I frequently mount optics to do group testing. Several of those guns have aftermarket barrels.

So you can understand my skepticism. please don't now turn this into a thread on SC loads. BTW, I shoot large numbers of rounds to test for accuracy. That 170 sierra round nose in the 9 brass would routinely shoot 12 and 18 round groups within the ICORE x ring at 50. That's counting every shot fired. Never yet seen a SC not shoot flyers when tested equally. Never. Can't imagine how it couldn't as the bullet leaves the case in the chamber, enters a tube unsupported at any point on the bullet that is at least .020 too big, then is forced into a smaller bore that may or may not be the right size, then jumps from that bore into an off center cone, swaging whatever shape it has arrived in into a smaller diameter, engraves it and starts it spinning and then ejects it out the front after putting thousands of rpm's to it. It that mass is not concentric when it enters the barrel, the barrel ain't gonna fix it.

There's a reason the most accurate revolvers commonly used for competition us flat based and fronted bullets that are hollow and very soft at very low velocity and pressure to gain the best accuracy. They don't have to speed reload, make a power factor or knock down steel targets. Of course it doesn't have to shoot that well to be good enough to win in ICORE, USPSA or IDPA. but, the 9, I'm betting, with the right bullets is gonna shoot as well as my supers do.

9 will, sc won't. just saying. propellers will never replace sails either....

At the moment, my primary concern is 125's at 1050 fps or 160's at 820 fps, lol.

When I start chasing the GM's, I will probably push the accuracy harder. For now, I am still very new (only about 2 years in USPSA and 1 year in revo) that if I can hit a mini popper at 25 yards, I am happy.

Way too many years in the past shooting olympic small bore. I would spend hours putting 60 rounds down range, so for now, fun is my primary concern.

Me thinks a past Bianchi Champion might know a little about accuracy. And all of TGO's points are valid.

May well make my 627, which I'm happier with than my 625, a back up gun at some point. I hope!

For most of us, it's the unknown vs the known. Once the details and hardware is out there, sounds like it might become the STI 2011 of USPSA Revo Division..And those of us with 627's will have to settle for an SV.

TGO, have you played with 38 special cut to .900?

No, am so happy with the 9 in the super that I quit when no consistently good results were showing up otherwise. I also use lots of 9 in those other guns, and load 9 and do not regularly any of the .38 SC,LC,SPCL family. Will be even happier with the 9 in the 9! :-)

TGO,

Why bother with change if your current setup is yielding good results? Age of the platform? I am always curious what those so attentive to detail are thinking about with equipment changes.

I'd have to agree with the idea of less to fool around with in regards to 9mm vs. anything else cut or uncut for making minor. From my perspective, when it falls like pennies from heaven at local ranges from so many shooters that don't reload, this gun is a God send for folks looking for brass in quantity. Everytime I get once fired .38 Special for free I'm amazed if gifted to me and perplexed if I'm picking it up off the ground. All of these situations make me happy, but one of the three is more common by far. As an unsponsored Joe shooter, every penny counts.

TGO,

Why bother with change if your current setup is yielding good results? Age of the platform? I am always curious what those so attentive to detail are thinking about with equipment changes.

I'd have to agree with the idea of less to fool around with in regards to 9mm vs. anything else cut or uncut for making minor. From my perspective, when it falls like pennies from heaven at local ranges from so many shooters that don't reload, this gun is a God send for folks looking for brass in quantity. Everytime I get once fired .38 Special for free I'm amazed if gifted to me and perplexed if I'm picking it up off the ground. All of these situations make me happy, but one of the three is more common by far. As an unsponsored Joe shooter, every penny counts.

Ammo availability is a problem for all these days ya'll.

I want a ti cylinder, plane and simple and I bet the 9 chamber, throat, forcing cone and bore are gonna work better with a wider variety of bullets. Who knows, maybe a couple S&W guys will be the only ones to get them in time for the nationals, but a couple big shots at smith were very keen to get them produced. And I felt they were talking sooner than later... and in greater quantity than ever was the super. I bet at the buy shows they've already sold more of the 929 in pre-order than were ever made of the 627 super. It's just more of a main market gun. Just so happens that is now the ultimate competition gun. All that is very good at many levels.

TGO,

I want a ti cylinder, plane and simple and I bet the 9 chamber, throat, forcing cone and bore are gonna work better with a wider variety of bullets. Who knows, maybe a couple S&W guys will be the only ones to get them in time for the nationals, but a couple big shots at smith were very keen to get them produced. And I felt they were talking sooner than later... and in greater quantity than ever was the super. I bet at the buy shows they've already sold more of the 929 in pre-order than were ever made of the 627 super. It's just more of a main market gun. Just so happens that is now the ultimate competition gun. All that is very good at many levels.

Just hope they don't skip the quality control part of production in their rush!

• 9 months later...

TGO,

Wish I could agree on the 9 chamber,throat forcing cone and bore on the 929. We have measured 5 929's now. Throat size on the 5 are .357" and .358" . The two .38 supers we have measured the throats on are .356" which would seem correct for a 9mm projectile. Question is why do the 929's have larger throats that the .38 super guns?

Tom

I have 2 627s cut for 9mm.. I run 38 super bullets (.356). The guns run great and the reloads are fast and easy.

One big myth is the idea any and all 9mm brass will work on the moon clips. The tolerances on the brass is different for each company and bottom feeders (auto loaders) are more forgiving. I found that Federal and starline work great and are very consistent.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

If you don't watch your sight picture all the way through recoil the only reference your going to have is simply how the gun feels to you with various barrel lengths.

When I spend time shooting 4 in guns them switch back to my 6.5 skinny I'm always amazed at how haywire the sight picture can be with the 6.5 and still be a good hit. Often enough I have made up an A hit with an A hit because my front sight drifted just before the gun recoiled and I knew the shoot was out in the D, but wasn't.

After recoil with nose heavy guns I just can't tighten my wrist enough to keep the barrel bounce to a minimum witch bothers me and I find myself waiting for the the sight picture to settle down before comfortable with next shot. I saw this with my 25-2 6.5 and when I shoot skinny barrel 8 3/8.

I really like my super 5 inch. No expierance yet with the 929 but worry that the extra inch may put the barrel into the bounce category.

Just my thought process in the barrel length debate.

If you don't watch your sight picture all the way through recoil the only reference your going to have is simply how the gun feels to you with various barrel lengths.

When I spend time shooting 4 in guns them switch back to my 6.5 skinny I'm always amazed at how haywire the sight picture can be with the 6.5 and still be a good hit. Often enough I have made up an A hit with an A hit because my front sight drifted just before the gun recoiled and I knew the shoot was out in the D, but wasn't.

After recoil with nose heavy guns I just can't tighten my wrist enough to keep the barrel bounce to a minimum witch bothers me and I find myself waiting for the the sight picture to settle down before comfortable with next shot. I saw this with my 25-2 6.5 and when I shoot skinny barrel 8 3/8.

I really like my super 5 inch. No expierance yet with the 929 but worry that the extra inch may put the barrel into the bounce category.

Just my thought process in the barrel length debate.

This James from Fox Island?

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm going to bring this thread back up to the top. This past weekend after the match I shot a moonclipped revolver for the first time. It was a 625 loaded minor, and I must say it was one of the most hilariously fun things I've done in awhile.

So naturally I think I'm going to get a revo at some point soon. If you had none of the equipment, would it be cheaper to get set up for the 929 or a 627? The price difference between the guns themselves is negligible, everywhere I have seen they are both about 1100 new.

Are 9mm moons as picky with brass all matching as the 38/357 ones (I hear that you need to match clips and brass for a good fit)? Or could I just shoot my same production load through it and call it good? I'm already set up to load 9mm, and brass is a lot cheaper to buy if I did have to buy new matching head stamp brass.

Thoughts?

So I'm going to bring this thread back up to the top. This past weekend after the match I shot a moonclipped revolver for the first time. It was a 625 loaded minor, and I must say it was one of the most hilariously fun things I've done in awhile.

So naturally I think I'm going to get a revo at some point soon. If you had none of the equipment, would it be cheaper to get set up for the 929 or a 627? The price difference between the guns themselves is negligible, everywhere I have seen they are both about 1100 new.

Are 9mm moons as picky with brass all matching as the 38/357 ones (I hear that you need to match clips and brass for a good fit)? Or could I just shoot my same production load through it and call it good? I'm already set up to load 9mm, and brass is a lot cheaper to buy if I did have to buy new matching head stamp brass.

Thoughts?

The thing about moon clips is that you get all your brass back, so if you have to use dedicated brass to your clips it's not a big deal. As far as the gun goes, you will likely be doing the same things to either gun to get it ready to run in matches so it's inconsequential there. Get the gun you want to run with. If you are setup in production you likely already have the reloading stuff on hand? Just food for thought.

Yea I already have everything to load 9mm, and do. That was part of my thinking, is I wouldn't have to add another caliber (38). But would I still need to use specific brass? I just use mixed headstamp range pickup for my 9mm ammo.

Is there any kind of price difference between the clips themselves? I have read to just bite the bullet and buy 2000 pieces of starline and hearthco clips and be done with it for the 38s, but could I get away with cheaper clips and my current brass? College is kind of expensive, so I'm trying to cut costs where possible (I know, this isn't a good sport to cutting costs in any way :devil: )