Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I build a nice STI Limited gun for $1000?

Carmoney

I'm having a great time competing in L-10 and Revolver, but I'm also anticipating that maybe next year I might like to step up to a real limited gun in .40.

For years I have done essentially all my own gun work, and have built up several 1911s for myself, with very good results. Plus, I really like working on handguns, and I've never been one to spend money on high-dollar cosmetics.

For $1000 I would have a gun with no mags, and no finish, but otherwise plenty capable of competing in Limited class, assuming I put it together right.

So tell me--am I missing something here?

How much do the highest-legal capacity .40 STI mags cost, and where is the best place to buy them?

Your thoughts?

Mike

Why build when you can buy someone's hardly-used pistol for $1000 to $1400 all day long off the USPSA classifieds?

I'm not sure there's much decent in that price range....at least not right now....

I just spooled through 3 pages of USPSA classified listings, and saw:

-used Edge for $1700 (5 mags)

-CA Edge for $2000

-Gun Doc custom for $1600

-Shuey custom for $1950

-Kidd custom (on its second barrel) for $1400 (no mags)

(Plus I have to admit I get a lot of pleasure from shooting my home-made guns...)

Why build when you can buy someone's hardly-used pistol for $1000 to $1400 all day long off the USPSA classifieds?

I'm not sure there's much decent in that price range....at least not right now....

Uhh...they will be about 4 months from now when they haven't sold at those prices. Why would anyone buy a used gun for $2K when they could pay $2200 and get a new one custom-built?

If you're a hard-core-do-it-yerselfer - more power to ya. ;) I've always wanted to build one myself, but could never make the #'s add up to justify it.

I think I built my first custom Limited for $1,200 in parts at or near retail. So with a dealer discount you should be able to make your goal. You can also select less expensive parts (e.g., STI barrel instead of Nowlin, Heinie instead of Break-More, etc).

So here's what I'm thinking:

STI ramped frame             $344

STI slide                             211

Nowlin bull barrel                 172

hammer/sear/springs            80

Brown beavertail                   28

Bo-Mar & F/O front                85

other miscellaneous               80

That totals $1000. 

Guide-Rod $17

Reverse Plug $25-$30

Pins $15

Ejector $20-$25

Extractor, AFTEC $70

Thumb Safety $55

Magwell $55

Firing Pin $8

Firing Pin Stop $15

Slide-Stop $25-$35

Hammer Strut $14

Mainspring Cap $11

You get what you pay for. Spend a little extra and get good parts, don't get junk just to save a few bucks. I'd say it would be closer to $1200-$1300 IF you get some good deals on parts. Keep in mind you also have to finish the gun, whether it be chrome or blued.

Here is a list of parts from brownells. These are all dealer prices. There may be a few things i missed but you can clearly see that it its over a grand in parts.

Mags will run an extra $69.06 for each.

791-240-018 40 CAL 140MM STI REPLACEMENT TUBE $42.00

475-112-001 STI BLACK 140MM MAGAZINE REBUILD KIT $27.06

Total Amount : $69.06 for each mag

791-250-100 STI STANDARD RAMPED 2011 FRAME $343.77

791-202-140 40 S&W SLIDE W/BOMAR CUT & FRT/REAR SE $217.49

791-106-400 STI 40 CAL. BULL BARREL $145.01

296-104-001 1045 EGW BLUE OVERSIZE SLIDE STOP $16.00

791-000-032 STI 1911 LINK & PIN SET $19.88

791-112-100 STI 2011 TRIM FIRING PIN STOP 9MM/40 $11.24

791-104-038 FPSS-38 38 SUP. SS 1911 FIRING PIN $11.63

296-100-038 1019 EGW 9MM/38 SUPER EXT. EJECTOR $16.00

087-130-500 1300 40 S&W/10MM 80 MATCH EXTRACTOR $20.76

791-000-031 STI PIN SET $13.29

207-800-410 80041 1911 AUTO BLUE AMBI EXT. SAFETY $20.07

087-867-000 867 SERIES 70, BLUE BT GRIP SAFETY $27.96

296-000-048 1-PIECE STI TUNGSTEN GUIDE ROD $55.00

654-012-111 NOWLIN COMM. MATCH DROP-IN TRIGGER JOB $86.21

207-800-130 80013 HAMMER STRUT $4.62

791-111-101 STI 2011 UN-TAPPED MAG CATCH RELEASE $24.96

791-120-101 BLACK LONG WIDE FRAME COMP. TRIGGER $25.00

135-205-003 BMCS REAR SIGHT W/COMBAT BLADE/ANGLE $51.71

568-203-605 60H 60 DEG. X .300 X .60 D'TAIL $20.00

Total Amount : $1,130.60

Home-made vs. home assembled; If you start with raw material and machine a piece of bar stock into an STI/SV frame, it is home made. However, I believe you are considering starting with an STI firearm in the form of a stripped frame from an FFL & assembling that firearm (at home) with your choice of parts; sounds like you are in a good position for such a project: you wrote:

"For years I have done essentially all my own gun work, and have built up several 1911s for myself, with very good results. Plus, I really like working on handguns"

Stinger & Precision make good points re: about $200 to $300 additional cost; it is amazing how quickly the small parts on a 1911 add up.

But even at an equal cost to a good used gun, this is certainly a worthwhile project for a variety of reasons including learning experience, pride in your own work; familiarity with your personal weapon's indiviual quirks; ability to tailor important details to your own needs; a known history, etc. I encourage you to go for it. Sure it might take a little more time & $$ than it should but I think its worth it & I believe you think so as well; you wrote: "Plus I have to admit I get a lot of pleasure from shooting my home-made guns...)" I agree.

Precision wrote: "Keep in mind you also have to finish the gun, whether it be chrome or blued. "

I have been finishing 1911 projects in Black Phosphate with excellent results on both my own work & a few of a top shooter's guns. It lacks the same look as blueing but it is far less toxic and far more durable than blueing at minimal cost (some guys still like blueing better). Carmony: I will PM you the deatils if you want. BTW, you should look for a bull barrel that is full profile for the entire length instead of only at the front; I have used & had good results with: Schuemann, KKM, and STI, though there could be other quality bull barrels of equal performance out there. Regards, C.

I'm with the watch the USPSA classifieds group. This time last year I bought an almost new STI Edge, 5 Dawson tuned mags, CR speed holster, and mag pouches for $1300. Luckily he lived close and there was no shipping/transfer fee. The gun only had about 2K rounds throgh it. I changed mag springs and it has run flawlessly since. You can find a great deal on used stuff. Especially as the holiday season approaches.

The frames come without a W/N or C/P cut for the barrel. Make the decision and have STI do it before they send out the frame.

I believe Brownells has the STI frames in stock both with (W/N) or without the ramp cut. A little more expensive with the cut.

I have been finishing 1911 projects in Black Phosphate with excellent results on both my own work & a few of a top shooter's guns. It lacks the same look as blueing but it is far less toxic and far more durable than blueing at minimal cost (some guys still like blueing better). Carmony: I will PM you the deatils if you want.

Carlos, I would like to hear more about your experience black phosphating your pistols. (And I think others on the forum would benefit from it also!)

I'm going to start a new string on the topic of "home refinishing" over on the gunsmithing board--perhaps you could post a response there....

Thanks,

Mike

carmoney4@aol.com

I think building your own is great.

I think some people have seriously violated their agreement with brownells by posting wholesale prices on a website.

Not everyone gets these parts at wholesale. It is not fair to those that are trying to make a living selling these parts to advertise wholesale pricing.

I think some people have seriously violated their agreement with brownells by posting wholesale prices on a website.

I was simply trying to have a conversation about a possible fun project with others who have experience and knowledge in this area. But, in order to avoid any appearance of being "not fair to those trying to make a living selling these parts," I have edited my previous posts to eliminate any possible references to wholesale pricing.

Mike

P.S. To those who insist on mixing commercial goals into their sport, I commend the following from Benos: "I am familiar with this because I was fully sponsored for 10 years. When I received my first big offer I thought it was going to be the greatest thing that ever happened to me . . . I was greedy and I took their money. Not long after that a shooter approached me and thanked me for writing Practical Shooting, and then, with a twinkle in his eye said, 'I’m happy for you that you are being paid to do what you love, but I couldn’t do it. I love shooting too much.' He knew. Sponsorship is not what you think. As soon as you are being paid to do something you love, everything changes. If you haven’t been there I know it’s hard to believe. But trust me, it’s true."

I think building your own is great.

Not everyone gets these parts at wholesale.  It is not fair to those that are trying to make a living selling these parts to advertise wholesale pricing.

About anyone who wants can get wholesale pricing from Brownells if they are so inclined, they even list it in the books the send to the general public if you know the code. I actually figured it out before someone showed me.

BE wrote: "As soon as you are being paid to do something you love, everything changes."

That is an eerily similar thought to something a friend once said about his former career as a gunsmith; the gist of his words was: "never take something you love and make it your livelihood; you WILL end up hating it in the end."

D.

If you have never cut a frame for a ramped barrel, then fitted a barrel to it so as the timing is perfect from lock up to unlock , you should buy a short block kit that has all of it done. If not you may have to buy a lot more than you wanted.