Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compenstor for Tactical Division Rifle

Philip Dedmon

Have any of you guys found a compenstor that works good and meets the restriction for a 223 AR-15 in the Tactical Rifle Division.

The restriction states, Maximum 1.00" diameter & 3.00" length.

I have three of the comps that Bruce McAurther makes and they work great but they are 1.230" in diameter. They are under 3.00" so they meet the length restriction.

There are cheaper options...with more surface area (and thus more effective)...out there.

For example, here is a F2 Compensator next to a JP "Cooley" (the F2 is a full three inches long, while the JP is rather a bit shorter):

Fredcomp_jp_1.JPG

Fredcomp_jp_2.JPG

Fredcomp_jp_3.JPG

IMO, the F2 is second only to the JP "Tank Brake" (which isn't limited-legal), and not by very much. Machined (not cast) 4140 heat treated to 50 Rockwell. 1.00" by 3.00" ;)

Please PM me for more details :)

Alex

Any Tac legal comp has to be better than the one EricW has been having trouble with recently :o

(sorry Eric, I couldn’t resist)

But seriously folks, I have only shot the JP Cooley and a Benny Hill Tac comp on a few friends rifles (I shoot open mostly and have the JP tank brake). I find them noticeably less effective than the JP tank brake, but they are also both noticeably better than a 1990 vintage comp I have on my Limited AR that only has one expansion chamber (about the size of one of Alex’s F2 chambers).

Just from looking at it, the F2 Alex is hawking looks to be a winner. It pushes the rule envelope more than the other ones, so it is gamey as heck too ;-)

--

Regards,

Read the rules carefully and follow them exactly ;)

I really like the JP "Tank Brake" too, and have one on my Open AR (and another on my AR10)... I'll probably switch to a F2 when I get around to rebarreling my AR15, but it still shoots OK (and I'm lazy). I'm planning on cutting my M4 barrel back to 14.5" and permanently attaching an F2 to it. I hope that a short barrel means more gas pressure and thus a more efficient comp...true with Liota's 16" speed daemon light AR :D

Open_AR_Liota_1.JPG

Alex

A few years ago, I tested a few of the tactical comps to see which one did the best job of reducing the recoil impulse. The JP tactical comp was best by a significant margin. The Miculek was number two. Others tested were the Smith & Alexander, the Wilson and a couple of homemade/low production models.

As such, I use the JP on all of my competition rifles. There are a couple of newer ones out now, but I can't speak to their performance.

I've got a JP BC on one of their 20" mid-weight barrels and and EGW "Race Comp" on an 18" HB. Can't see much difference. Both are excellant on CQB targets and I can't double tap either of them on distant targets and get A hits consistently.

On the F2 comp:

The first port has most of the pressure, the second has a decent flash, and the third (baby) port has just a small flash. We shot them in low light and watched how it "flashed", and examined the erosion patterns on unhardened comps when we were working on the baffle spacing and angles.

Field work can be fun!

Alex

• 4 months later...

I'm looking to put the F2 on a tactical carbine that will be used as a LE trunk rifle. Has anyone had the opportunity to fire a short barrel AR15 at night with either the F2 or the BC comp? How distracting or blinding is the muzzle flash? Thanks

I've shot the F2, BC, JP/Tank, Miculek, and Smith at night. They are all pretty annoying, but most of the flash is to the sides on all of 'em. The JP/Tank has both the most side flash and the least top flash, which is kind of what I expected seeing that it has no top ports. The BC has quite a bit of top flash, with the four big top ports, but not even remotely eye-clenching or retina-burning.

My 14.5" F2-equipped M4 isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, either.

I'll report on the field test of a 7" barrel with a F2 as soon as my tax stamp gets back from The Powers That Be ;)

Alex

Religious Shooter is correct, the offset holes on top counter the torque from bullet rotation. We have three now, for .223, .277 (6.8mm), and .308. The .277 and .308 comps are threaded 5/8"-24tpi, the .23 is 1/2"-28tpi. We had started on a comp for the 6.8 when Taran talked to me about ideas he had for a .223 comp. Our design points were:

Minimum disruption of sight picture

No accuracy loss

Neutral - no climb/nosedive in full auto

Comfortable to shoot without muffs (plugs only)

Obviously some are subjective, but we are pleased with the results. An additional benefit, a surprise to us, is decent flash suppression. We don't market them as flash hiders, but they work fine for most purposes. No front side signature, flash only visible from either side viewing into the rear chamber. Some of our contract customers are using them instead of a FH on precision rifles in order to see their hits better.

I've been using the Miculek comps for several years and was quite happy with them. Still feel they are in the top 4 but have changed to the MSTN QC . Shot both from a bipod and found the QC very stable, clear site picture throughout shot impulse, barrel seems to "lock" in place when fired. A bit pricey but a well made comp.

And remember that Bennie Cooley won a Nationals without a comp ..................

Yeah, but now he has one named after him!

I've been testing comps for a few months now. What comp is "best" is a subjective matter IMO - but, with that disclaimer, here're my subjective results. YMMV!

Tested:

* JP BC,

* Smith Enterprises,

* MSTN QC,

* BM Mini Y,

* BM full Y copy (forget the maker – same comp Erik L uses)

* F2, and

* Armilite three port comp.

Rifle:

* 17" cut down BM upper, full length gas system, Govt profile, and

* 16" BM upper, carbine gas system, HBAR.

* Optic for both uppers was an Aimpoint ML2.

Ammo:

* XM193,

* Wolf 55 grain, and

* Win Q3131a.

Observations:

* I saw little difference in the MSTN QC, F2 and JP BC comps. All had a few inches of dot rise on an A zone at 25 yards. The Armilite comp was actually pretty good, but seemed to force the rifle into the shoulder more than the others. The JP BC gave me the best dot tracking.

* The Smith Enterprises was also a pretty effective comp, with less blast (together with the QC) than the others. It also has less flash signature when shooting at dusk.

* The Mini Y and full Y copy were the most effective, to the point of over-compensation. The dot seemed to dip on the A zone at 25 yards. However, once I shot about 100-150 rounds with the mini Y, I seemed to get better timing with it and the dot was very stable.

* I saw no performance difference between the mini Y and the full Y. The min Y is at least ½ inch shorter, so I’d chose it over the full Y.

* The mini and full Y were BY FAR the most obnoxious of the comps, hitting the shooter with blast and loud as hell. I started using plugs with muffs when shooting those comps. The blast is worse than my shorty 9 major open gun – but you get used to it.

* My gunsmith actually gave me the mini Y. He regularly removes them from post-ban BM rifles which he converts to no-ban rifles. He has to drill the pins out, so there’s a hole on either side of the threads, but it doesn’t hurt performance – and it’s a free comp!

* I saw no meaningful difference in dot movement/tracking between my 17" cut down BM upper, full length gas system, Govt profile as compared to my 16" BM upper, carbine gas system, HBAR. The weight difference in the barrel could be a factor.

I would also like to test fire Benny’s comp and the Miculek, but I’m finished spending $ on comps right now. Like I said, YMMV. I’m sure many people have differing opinions and this is not the authoritative work on AR comps. These are simply my subjective observations.

Cy