Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few questions from a newb.

Fearless4x4

I'm new to the competition world but not to shooting. Ive been lurking around for awhile now researching and learning as much as I can, and have already picked up a wealth of info from yall.

I think im going to pull the trigger and order an STI Trojan come Friday. Have my eye on the one from Dawson Precision as it already has the magwell and sights I want.

My question is this...

Is the 40 worth going for versus 45? To be honest ive only shot about a mags worth of 40 through a glock 22 in my life. Just never had continuous access to one. Myself, my dad, and my buddies all have either 9 or 45.

How much tamer is the recoil in a 1911 platform...

I know 40 is a little cheaper to buy and reload but my dad already has the equipment to reload 45... which is something I plan on engaging as well myself in the near(ish) future. So buying a 40 would involve purchasing all the necessary components to retool the reloader as well

So all things considered is the 40 worth the investment given the other factors?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys have been a big help already and look forward to helping out around here as much as I can as well.

I too was a 45 single stack guy and after a while bought a Dawson Edge in 40 (also have a Trojan in 40(). My opinion is the 40 is a better round for competition. For USPSA I have one load and just change the powder charge and recoil spring for three gun. The primers i use for 223 and 40 are small rifle. Depends on the game you are going to compete in and budget but 40's are a solid round for competition.

In ss I say no! Stick with .45. You can get 10 rd. .45 mags and shoot L10 if you want. That being said, if you think you might pick up a STI/SV for Limited down the road then go with .40 because of the capacity gain in .40 shooting L. There is nothing to be gained with .40 over .45 IMHO in ss.

Richard

Have never shot a .40 in 1911 platform, but shot my son's Glock in .40. It just seemed too snappy in recoil to me. I shoot uspsa single stack with a .45. Other than capacity to shoot in a division other than .45 major, I don't understand why people want to shoot a .40. Is the .40 not as snappy in a 1911?

Playing in SS and L10 is my plan as of now. I think ill stick with the 45. Its what im used to and already set up to reload it.

Ive been browsing around looking at the trojans and found a spartan for about $400 less. Found a few threads on here saying they are just a good with a few minor differences... is the ramped barrel and frame undercut/ frontstrap stippling worth the extra coin or would a spartan be a better choice and use the $400 for mags ammo and gear... thoughts?

Oh and another tidbit of info/background on me & my situation. ..

I just finalized a fairly nasty divorce. So money is still on the tight side. But im working some ot and decided its been a long time since I did anything for me.

Ive always wanted to get into shooting competitively but never had the chance before. So this is going to be my present to myself. $400 dollars can go a long way with mags n equipment but I dont mind ponying up if its truly worth it.

Yes, go .40. The initial "investment" in another set of dies is small compared to the long run savings in components. Brass for .40 is more available and cheaper, as are bullets. The bullets get bought and sent downrange and you get more .40 bullets than .45 for the same money. A few cents here and there on bullets will add up quick as you continue to shoot. I find .40 brass all over the range but .45 not so much. And I think in the long run you will be much happier competing with a .40 than a .45.

Have a Spartan and a Trojan both in 9mm. I would suggest the Trojan over the Spartan if you can swing the funds. Expect to spend a little on either to tune them to your specks. Mag wells, mag releases trigger jobs springs etc. While the Spartan is a very good buy for the money the trigger fit and quality of the Trojan is well worth the little extra if your planning on serious competition.

40 will gain another round in the magazine and range brass is plentiful. Bullets will be a little cheaper so you can shoot a little cheaper. 40 does have more of a snap in recoil where the 45 is more of a push. Brass for the 45 is a little harder to come by and more expensive plus bullets may run more. Shooting outdoors lot's of 200gn lead 45's sent down range in the game but still usually run a little more money than 175gn 40 bullets. 40 is better suited to the wide body Limited guns in my mind. Same power factor same powder the 45 will kick less in similar guns.

Either way buy good magazines, I like Wilson but any of the quality magazines will work, Metal Form may be the best buy. Watch the forums or Gunbroker for a few weeks may find what your looking for.

Up until now I've predominantly shot SS in .45acp (its the gun I have), but my wife's 1911 is chambered in .40SW so last fall I shot a few matches with that gun in SS. It might be because in 2013 I mostly focused on Limited division where I shoot .40SW, but I found I much prefered shooting SS in .40SW for the slightly snappier recoil of the .40 and as a result I was able to track my sights better and this showed in my splits.

Of a lesser importance, but still pretty convenient was I could make-ready with 9 in the mag instead of having to barney and I'm already loading a lot of.40SW and can use the same load. These days I'm mostly shooting .40 and 9mm, so leaving the press set up for SP primers is a time savings.

So this winter I'm having a new SS gun built that will be chambered in .40SW.

I'm new to the competition world but not to shooting. Ive been lurking around for awhile now researching and learning as much as I can, and have already picked up a wealth of info from yall.

I think im going to pull the trigger and order an STI Trojan come Friday. Have my eye on the one from Dawson Precision as it already has the magwell and sights I want.

My question is this...

Is the 40 worth going for versus 45? To be honest ive only shot about a mags worth of 40 through a glock 22 in my life. Just never had continuous access to one. Myself, my dad, and my buddies all have either 9 or 45.

How much tamer is the recoil in a 1911 platform...

I know 40 is a little cheaper to buy and reload but my dad already has the equipment to reload 45... which is something I plan on engaging as well myself in the near(ish) future. So buying a 40 would involve purchasing all the necessary components to retool the reloader as well

So all things considered is the 40 worth the investment given the other factors?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys have been a big help already and look forward to helping out around here as much as I can as well.

You are new to competiton,but you never said what division or association your going to run if any? Have you borrowed someones STI in both calibers? Have you considered the cost of MAGS and Cartridges for both calibers?

Do you want to compete MAJOR or MINOR?

Why are you worried about felt recoil,its muzzle flip that you want to tame for quicker strings. Getting into "felt recoil" and muzzle flip is another thread with slide weight,velocity and different springs and compensators/porting etc.

Borrow someones pistol at the range before you buy. My .02

Edited by Kimbertarget

I shoot 40 in SS, Its what I like. You need to shoot 40 & 45 side by side.I dont care what some say. It comes down to what you like!!

Mags cost the same! Ammo well it all costs money .

Where do you live? Im sure someone near you has 40 and 45 SS and Im sure they will help you.

GooD Luck Kevin

My main concern with the recoil aspect was if it was worth changing everything I know and comfortable with by changing to 40 cal.

Like blue edge said it all comes down to what I like. Even if this competition thing doest take hold for me I'll still have the gun I want. So I think I'll stick with 45 for now.

I want to shoot in SS or L10 to start with in USPSA, preferably in major. If later down the road this competition bug bites hard, I might make the jump to Limited class with a 2011. And at that time ill weigh the advantages of 40 again when money allows.

I live on the west side of Phoenix. I might see if I can track down an avenue to shoot both calibers side by side.

Edited by Fearless4x4

I shoot Single Stack.

I have 3: one in 9mm, one in 40, and one in 45.

I practice with all 3 (depending on which has a surplus of ammo), but I compete with only one: the 40. It doesn't necessarily recoil "less" than the 45, just different, and it feels better to me.

Long story short: there is no right answer, and you'll have to judge for yourself.

-ivan-

Head out to Rio Salado and start asking around. Lots of top-level single stack regulars at that club.

I am fortunate to have a bunch of nice custom 1911s, including several .40s that I regularly shoot in competition. However, for your situation, I think the Spartan .45 would be an excellent choice. It is likely to function perfectly from day one (which is not something that can usually be said for .40s), it will work fine with most loads you might decide to shoot through it (which is again not something that can usually be said for .40s), and it offers a lot of value for the money. You're right--that $400 difference will buy a lot of primers.

Whatever you decide--good luck and welcome!

My main concern with the recoil aspect was if it was worth changing everything I know and comfortable with by changing to 40 cal.

Like blue edge said it all comes down to what I like. Even if this competition thing doest take hold for me I'll still have the gun I want. So I think I'll stick with 45 for now.

I want to shoot in SS or L10 to start with in USPSA, preferably in major. If later down the road this competition bug bites hard, I might make the jump to Limited class with a 2011. And at that time ill weigh the advantages of 40 again when money allows.

I live on the west side of Phoenix. I might see if I can track down an avenue to shoot both calibers side by side.

If you can find BOB PATTISON from 1911 heaven in CHANDLER to build you a .38 super 1911. Back when i was in my 20s he built me some badass THOROUGHBRED (his custom series) 1911s in (.38super). I know all the new cool things are 9mm this or .40 that.

But back in the day a .38super or a .45 was a real 1911. Im gunna get heat for that statement but it is what it is.

If you run a 9mm or .40 your going to better be ready to spend thousands on a 1911 in .40 that runs correctly is rare. Anyone who competes that owns one and says it shot out of the box w factory mags is either lying or got very lucky.

Why not just go with a .38SUPER or a .45 with tungsten guide rod or tungsten barrel sleeve if muzzle flip is your only concern.

Your in ARIZONA and have alot of the nations top 1911 custom smiths at your disposal.

Borrow an S.T.I. in 9mm and .40 ,then an INFINITY S.V.I. And find someone that will let you shoot their YOST/HEIRLOOM or other 1911 custom in .38super and report back which you prefer to run.im curious to hear what you like for gaming.

There was a small little shop in MESA off university,i cant remember i think the sign just said "guns" outside their store. They always had great deals on used 1911s/2011s and is where i bought my 1st CZs for dirtcheap. CASWELLs in mesa off baseline and the 60freeway if its still there,you can rent pistols and they always have a pretty good selection,and they have the F.A.T.S. (firearms training simulator) there to practice shoot or no shoot scenarios,and of course GUNSITE..

67944333255f1dcc22843e54f33353b8.jpg

Edited by Kimbertarget