Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about a change

Craig N

I have never been able to shoot a good group. I am just not that kinda shooter. I have no problems hitting the A or -0 zones but to tear the middle outta a target....forget about it. Today after a match I shot my friends 45 with apex comp trigger. After the 3 shot I wasn't believing I was shooting that accurately. I am mid to heavy invested in Glock but I am thinking about switching if I shoot the 45 that well.

He had minor 45 loads so I could shoot it for production as well as IDPA. Would you eat the expense of what you already had in Glocks if you found out you can shoot something else sooooo much better?

I would keep practicing with the Glock. There is no way I would move from a Glock to an M&P unless I had tried everything possible to master the Glock. Somebody once told me to not make a decision on a gun, or even a particular load for a gun until you had shot it many, many times. When you picked up the M&P you most likely, subconsciously, used better techniques because the gun felt different in your hand.

At the end of the day if you ENJOY shooting that .45 way more then make the switch.

I agree. If you aren't truly enjoying what you are shooting, why bother?

I don't know what you mean by being "heavily invested" in a platform but you should be able to sell it and not take a beating on it. There are a lot of people out there that like Glock products.

At the end of the day if you ENJOY shooting that .45 way more then make the switch.

I agree. If you aren't truly enjoying what you are shooting, why bother?

I don't know what you mean by being "heavily invested" in a platform but you should be able to sell it and not take a beating on it. There are a lot of people out there that like Glock products.

2 G19s, a G34 and the G35 I shoot for matches. I have tons of holsters and spare mags. That's what I mean by heavily invested lol

I have never been able to shoot a good group. I am just not that kinda shooter. I have no problems hitting the A or -0 zones but to tear the middle outta a target....forget about it.

I'm not sure a Glock is really the top choice to do groups at distance or at speed. I have several guns (CZ75 SP01 Shadow 9mm, SA TRP 1911 .45, S&W Model 41 .22LR), that for me all shoot like laser beams compared to the Glock and can make tight groups, I think mainly because of excellent triggers that probably make up for my in-progress technique on the trigger, also maybe tighter fit and heavier all-metal guns. The tradeoff is nothing I have approaches how reliable and trouble free the Glock has been for me, it just runs no matter what.

Edited by trgt

I'm biased because I shoot S&W revolvers quite a bit so I know I'll buy an M&P over Glock but you may want to hold off your decision for a while and see what folks are saying about the new Glock 41. It's a long-slide .45 ACP modeled after the G34/G35 except it doesn't have the cut out in the top of the slide like those models do.

But if you are into action pistol and shooting down zero's....who cares. If your game was bullseye and the need is to dot an 'i' every time that would be a different story. Regardless if you would rather shoot an M&P then sell the Glock junk (if need be) and do it. I don't think M&P's are inherently more accurate but if that is what works for you go for it. Probably cost $700 to get the M&P what with gun, holster, and a couple more mags.

BTW, I shoot my 1911 Golt Cup very accurately but I hate handling it in a match. I gladly give up a bit of accuracy for a gun I can run more smoothly.

The biggest problem i can see would be the added cost for buying the .45 acp bullets. I've not bought any myself, but they're bound to be nearly twice as much as 9mm.....

I already shoot 40 cal so it's like $5 more a 1000. I already looked into that :D

I did exactly this recently. I was a Glock guy for quite some time but the first time I tried a buddy's M&P Pro the grip angle was so natural to me that I couldn't stop thinking about making the switch. Eventually, a few months went by and I did exactly that and for me it's worked out well. Everyone is different but I think the general hold and grip angle on the M&P is much more natural for me than the Glock and it makes me put sights on target that much faster.

I would keep practicing with the Glock. There is no way I would move from a Glock to an M&P unless I had tried everything possible to master the Glock. Somebody once told me to not make a decision on a gun, or even a particular load for a gun until you had shot it many, many times. When you picked up the M&P you most likely, subconsciously, used better techniques because the gun felt different in your hand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the big question is - why NOT?

It's a hobby. And it's not a cheap one, which you already know. So just swap out a Glock or two for an M&P or two and roll with it. The good news is Glocks maintain their value very well, so it's probably going to cost you just a couple hundred bucks to get a holster, mag pouches, extra mags and such to go with your new M&P.

I respect Glock for what they've done, and the novel platform Gaston made 30+ years ago, which is in large part copied into XDs, M&Ps and many other handguns today. Those awful, ugly Glock pistols run like an accurate top (until people tinker with them) and there is no better subject for making videos of gun abuse (you know, the ones with overweight guys in camo filling them with mud, sand, water, etc). BUT - we're here to shoot a sport and have fun, and if you like the M&P then go for it. The M&P basically improves on Glock's design (in my opinion) if for no other reason than the grip angle and shape.

The hardest part I've found about shooting .45, by the way is BRASS. There are two problems:

1. Almost everyone who shoots .45 reloads, so they darn near grab your brass before it hits the ground.

2. Some manufacturers seem to think it's a funny thing to have small primer .45 brass. Drives me nuts, but the result is that you now have to inspect/sort brass by primer size.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to update this a bit. I traded one of my G19s for a M&P Pro 9mm with a friend. We both got what we wanted and I love the apex trigger. I'll still shoot my glock 40 till I run outta bullets for it but for now the M&P is my go to Game gun.

Still rocking the G19 with RMR for carry.

I was a couple days away from ordering trigger parts for a new gen 4 G34 ..... Then I picked up and handled a S&W core, it pointed and felt NATURAL to me . Bought it ordered apex trigger parts, KKM barrel and comp, magwell, Etc....

Sold the Glock. The next day, and never looked back.

• 2 weeks later...

I never had any luck with m&p 9's. Great at 10 yards but out past 20 and it groups like a shotgun. I heard the 45 was much more accurate. I avoided glocks cause I thought they were ugly and everyone and their mom shoot one. I finally caved and bought and absolutely love them. And the more worn and abused they are the prettier they get!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DO IT!

The M&Ps are the only polymer guns (IMO) that can compete with the Glocks mechanically and they are soooo much easier for me to shoot well.

Glocks are great guns but the only one I own nowadays is a 10mm G20 since S&W doesn't make a 10mm M&P.

Mark

I love my new M&P 9 Pro CORE. I have never shot a Glock and don't really want to out of fear, lol. I am afraid that I will like it and want one, like 3djedi says everyone has them. I usually stay away from things that everyone else has. Ordered the Apex comp kit and Sevigney sights, can't wait.

I love my new M&P 9 Pro CORE. I have never shot a Glock and don't really want to out of fear, lol. I am afraid that I will like it and want one, like 3djedi says everyone has them. I usually stay away from things that everyone else has. Ordered the Apex comp kit and Sevigney sights, can't wait.

FEAR? whats to fear? Glock's where never intended to be a competition gun- we the shooters did that.

If your fear is that you might like it- then don't screw with it.

If it don't go BANG every time- that shows that someone screwed with it!

Leave it alone- it will work when needed most!

You can trust your life to Glock- I did for 31 years. :bow:

FEAR? whats to fear? Glock's where never intended to be a competition gun- we the shooters did that.

If your fear is that you might like it- then don't screw with it.

If it don't go BANG every time- that shows that someone screwed with it!

Leave it alone- it will work when needed most!

You can trust your life to Glock- I did for 31 years. :bow:

Well the 34/35 was made to fit the box........ :devil: