Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 627 performance center.....not so much.

Thehotrodpig

I was using my iPhone and the pictures don't do the muzzle justice. No exaggeration to say there is .040" of protrusion around 30% of the crown. There is even an obvious burr on the protrusion.

Lee

Like I said dull knife - mine was as bad - one could slice a finger on one of the burrs I took off. Those building the guns are not paying attention (to the tooling).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the barrel is now straight but the crown looks like poop. Time to recut. Performance center needs to do some house cleaning.

Man if that were my gun, I'd be lighting up all the email addresses at S&W that I could find and attaching all of these pics. When you pay $1k for a gun this stuff is just unacceptable. Taurus' quality is better than this.

I sent off an email last night including pics and a link to this thread. I don't expect much besides send it back and we will fix it. Not gonna happen. I need it February 1st and don't trust they will get it fixed in time for me to do all the other work that needs done. Load development, cylinder beveling, trigger job, internal polishing ect. It's being fixed locally. Like mentioned before I don't like that s&w is putting out this kind of quality and hope they eventually address what appears to be a bad quality control problem. I have an m&p9 pro on order and plan on buying a 929 when I can find one. These quality control issues are making me rethink my purchases.

Just picked up my nib 627. Not what I was expecting from the performance center. Sorry for the cell phone picks.

Cannot understand what you consider a problem. Upon examining the poor qualityphotos I cannot see any problem. Perhap's it's in the eyes of the beholder.

Edited by TonyT

Just picked up my nib 627. Not what I was expecting from the performance center. Sorry for the cell phone picks.

Cannot understand what you consider a problem. Upon examining the poor qualityphotos I cannot see any problem. Perhap's it's in the eyes of the beholder.

Sarcasm?

The absolute worst action I have ever seen on a new S&W was on a 627 PC that I bought 8 or 9 years ago. I almost sent it back, and I almost never send guns back.

Fortunately, that terrible action cleaned up into a wonderfully smooth action with a little effort.

I assume any gun I buy will need trigger action work and I am ready to do it. But gross defects are another story.

I just had a local 'smith reclock a barrel on my 625PC. The rear sight was way to the right. He also checked the forcing cone and said it was fine after the clocking. It shoots great now and the sights are straight. S&W offered to fix it, but I wasn't crazy about the possible timeframe.

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my 625 in from the first order, the cylinder would not open........sent it back, second 625 had hammer striking to frame issue which caused light strikes. After a few choice words to myself, had a gunsmith correct that. Purchased a used R-8 and I am totally happy with it.

They need to hire someone from this forum to do final inspection on their products before they leave the plant.

• 11 months later...

Barrel is not on straight. See how the sight doesn't line up with the barrel rib. Barrel is over clocked.

Wow... a new PC 627 that looks like blind monkeys made it. I posted a thread a few years back about exactly the same thing which is why I'll never buy another new SW.

FYI: twisted barrels is a standard item now on SW revos along with a bunch of other things like BC gap out of spec, hammers dragging on frame, side plate so tight that superman couldn't get it off etc. I was truly ticked off to spend $1300 on a PC gun that I then had to spend many hours fixing.

I sent off an email last night including pics and a link to this thread. I don't expect much besides send it back and we will fix it. Not gonna happen.

Yeah, that's why I started gunsmithing so may years back. You get a screwed up gun and your only option is to send it back to the stooges that screwed it up in the first place.

When I got my 625 in from the first order, the cylinder would not open........sent it back, second 625 had hammer striking to frame issue which caused light strikes. After a few choice words to myself, had a gunsmith correct that. Purchased a used R-8 and I am totally happy with it.

They need to hire someone from this forum to do final inspection on their products before they leave the plant.

They used to have people like that but they fired them when they wouldn't work off the books for $5/hour.........

seriously, I think they just did away with final check and use the customers as their QA.

That is what my 627's barrel crown looked like, also. It was pretty horrid looking.

My barrel was clocked straight and the BC gap is good, but the forcing cone was really ragged and might have been constricted. Also, mine had a slight amount of hammer drag but a couple Ron Power shims fixed that. I've heard of people bending the hammer shaft to fix that but the shims worked so I didn't sweat it.

I fixed the barrel crown, re-cut the forcing cone and did a decent 6.25-6.5 lb trigger myself. Not hard, but for a "performance center" gun (or any S&W revo, really) all I really should have had to do was a competition trigger job, chamfer the cylinders, and add the race goodies.

Love the gun now, but it seems like the PC could put just a little more TLC into the finished product to alleviate buyer's frustration.

OK i bought a NIB PC 627. Since that guy in IOWA is not doing any real work anymore, (something about wanting to be a crook or something with the law) who can i send it off to to get worked over?

OK i bought a NIB PC 627. Since that guy in IOWA is not doing any real work anymore, (something about wanting to be a crook or something with the law) who can i send it off to to get worked over?

Apex Tactical gets my vote, top notch work. They've done several guns for me, nothing but the best from that crew.

You guys are scaring me :(

I've got a PC 627 in the mail right now. I wanted it to be good because it's probably the last gun I ever buy :mellow:

All I can say is have low expectations and you won't be disappointed.

You make it sound like you didn't get a gun that came out alright and in truth, with a little know how and a weekend it did. Ever the pictures of the guy who had a 686 with 686+ flutes cut in it? That guy had reason for concern.

Lee