Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 627 performance center.....not so much.

Thehotrodpig

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over clocking the barrel is pretty common with Smith these days. I had a 625 JM that was so bad that you couldn't run the rear sight far enough to the left to get it on target. Easy enough fix with the right tools.

It's too bad an American company that specializes in revolvers can't get it right even after going through the so called performance center. It will be fixed later today but it makes you wonder what those guys in the PC actually do.

Don't send it back, have a smith set the barrel back to remove the constriction caused by torquing the barrel on and install it straight, hand tight, with red loctite. Also have him re-cut the forcing cone and crown.

My nib 627PC went back yesterday: hammer impacting frame below rear sight and out of time on three chambers. It looked like they crowned bbl with a dull knife - I took care of that with help from Brownells. I just hope the 929 isn't as disappointing.

The PC 627 I bought a few years back is the reason I no longer will ever buy another SW product. It's defects:

1) Barrel twisted (like yours)

2) Shipped with defective trigger lever (MIM part with no end, damaged rebound slide).

3) Frame not square, clearance between rear of cylinder and breech face was so narrow fired brass would sieze up the cylinder.

4) Barrel cylinder gap was "adjusted" by a gorilla with a mill file who chewed up the bottom side of the top strap.

I had to do so much flipping gunsmithing on this thing just to get it to shoot. RIDICULOUS. Will never buy another new SW product again.

post-271-0-57383700-1388784071_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-96210800-1388784113_thumb.jpg

Just bought a new EAA SAR 9 for a house gun for my wife. Good machine work, smooth and square, very little mfg cleanup needed. Shoots WWB into 3" @ 50'. Price? $246 shipped. Upshot? Made in Turkey! Hey S&W, time to wake up the quality control team! :angry2:

Ahoy Doug,

Yes, no doubt there's some dubious examples leaving Turkish plants too. I wasn't intimating there was any parity. I'm just hoping to shame S&W into returning to the glory days and take pride in the work.

What's the line? "Anything worth doing is worth doing right". C'mon S&W guys - this is the US of A! Time to cowboy up! None of us like to talk like this about American Made!

Ron

Yada-Yada - etc

What's the line? "Anything worth doing is worth doing right". C'mon S&W guys - this is the US of A! Time to cowboy up! None of us like to talk like this about American Made!

I think that there has been a very big (and intentional) change in business model. I think at one time, they cared about quality and had people who could spot defects. Around ten years ago, the advent of CNC machining made some people believe that you no longer NEEDED gunsmiths or competent people and they all got the boot. After all, make the parts precisely and you can hire min wage monkeys to throw them together.

Ever notice that all the major gun makers implemented a "lifetime warranty" policy around the same time? It was supposed to communicate that the quality must be great, but in reality it meant that the "final test" was now being done by customers.

Ship them all, the customers will return the defective ones and we'll try to fix them then..... after we have already cashed your check.

Edited by bountyhunter

The absolute worst action I have ever seen on a new S&W was on a 627 PC that I bought 8 or 9 years ago. I almost sent it back, and I almost never send guns back.

Fortunately, that terrible action cleaned up into a wonderfully smooth action with a little effort.

I agree the factory should do better with the guns they call PC, but they are still the best raw material for the stuff we do. What else you gonna shoot? Colt.....Ruger....Taurus?

If you're talking .38, a GP-100 isn't a bad choice. Costs much less bucks than a PC gun... has a much better interchangeable front sight system (even though the rear sight needs to be replaced) shoots lead bullets better... tunes up quickly... you don't have to worry about all of the screws S&W has loosening up and messing up your day. And, the big part is that you don't have to take your brand new gun and send it off to a custom smith to fix all the things that the PC should have fixed before they sent out out the door. Just a thought.

But, I wouldn't trade my tuned 6-inch ICORE or 4-inch IDPA GP-100s for anything comming out of the PC shop these days.

IDPA 23489 - ICORE FL2943

I agree the factory should do better with the guns they call PC, but they are still the best raw material for the stuff we do. What else you gonna shoot? Colt.....Ruger....Taurus?

Very true, it's a bummer but Revolverjockey (Lee) is helping me get it squared away and in the end I'm sure it will be a great gun. I have 8-10 s&w guns and will continue to buy Smiths but I expect better quality out of them. I'm still going to have a little talk with s&w and voice my displeasure.

It took quite a bit to get my PC625 to where I liked it, wasn't anything real bad just a lot of fiddling.

Had a M29=3 I sent back to S&W to have a new FP Bushing put in when they replaced a broken Hammer Stud. They did the Stud great, and put the FP Bushing in COCKED, you couldn't even cock the gun it was so bad. Sent that back again to get it right.

Last spring bought a PC627 and it took very little to get it right where I want it. Action smoothed up easily and it shoots great, one of the most accurate guns I've ever had.